Hybrid Vigor & Brangus cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade":wcd8ob42 said:
ALACOWMAN":wcd8ob42 said:
houstoncutter":wcd8ob42 said:
biggest problem i see with people doing this grass fed thing is they worry too much about the breed of cattle, and not about the grass. The grass is the hardest thing if your going to do grass fed....to me that means grass 365 days of the year....this balage or silage is just feed... not good green grass.
i thought it meant no antibotics, hormones or grains... balage is grass wrapped up and stored for winter use
Then what's "Organic grass fed"?[/quote] thats where you wear sandals and a ponytail :cowboy:

cow pollinater":2fbd68ir said:
Don't make the assumption that just because you see the same breed of cattle that they are the same cattle that we had twenty or thirty years ago...
The breeds with the bigest volume of cattle tend to be the fastest in improvement since it's so much easier for seedstock producers to find readily available genetics that are not related to their stock but also offer improvement.
Example: Elite Gelpvieh bulls tend to be elite for a long period of time after they are proven. Think Carolina Fortune... on top for years. Elite Angus bulls are a dime a dozen and relatively few stay at the cutting edge for more than a year or two because the genetics are blossoming so fast that yesterdays bull can't keep up.
Your best bet is to find a breeder of any useable breed who really keeps up with genetic progress and don't look back.
That being said, Hereford is a GOOD choice if your country is gentle enough but you'll lose some push on the resulting replacements.
gentle,,,, like south Africa

Then what's "Organic grass fed"?[/quote] thats where you wear sandals and a ponytail

Hmmm, and say stuff like "Dude, check out my calf. He's rad."

Isomade":21mgociv said:
Then what's "Organic grass fed"?
thats where you wear sandals and a ponytail

Hmmm, and say stuff like "Dude, check out my calf. He's rad."[/quote]
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":1ueoiiia said:
Isomade":1ueoiiia said:
Then what's "Organic grass fed"?
thats where you wear sandals and a ponytail

Hmmm, and say stuff like "Dude, check out my calf. He's rad."
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:[/quote] :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

My Brangus herd(95head) was fed all grass. Some cows have the gentics to do really well on this type of diet some did not. I kept the heifers from cows that thrived and built my herd this way. I had a completely closed herd meaning that all females were related. Used only Brangus bulls. I was told by a neighbor who also ran a stock cow herd (mostly angus with a little sim.) that my cows always looked good. I did feed a lick tub year around, and only mineral salt blocks. I retired 3 yrs ago, my oldest cow was 34 years old and always weaned a calf. I sold my calf to the same feeder for years, he loved the fact that they were so gentle.

dzc3":26rgc6u6 said:
My Brangus herd(95head) was fed all grass. Some cows have the gentics to do really well on this type of diet some did not. I kept the heifers from cows that thrived and built my herd this way. I had a completely closed herd meaning that all females were related. Used only Brangus bulls. I was told by a neighbor who also ran a stock cow herd (mostly angus with a little sim.) that my cows always looked good. I did feed a lick tub year around, and only mineral salt blocks. I retired 3 yrs ago, my oldest cow was 34 years old and always weaned a calf. I sold my calf to the same feeder for years, he loved the fact that they were so gentle.

Hard to beat the Brimmer genetic's for longevity.

if hes crossing not as much of an issue...

TEXAS
Pitt Creek Ranch
Lampasas and Cedar Park, Texas
Preston (Owner) 512-804-6610

Vista Knoll Farm
Dallas, Texas
Virginia & Charlie Whitworth
Raising Pure Devons since 1972
Virginia's Cell 972-989-4934
Charlie's Cell 903-815-8919

brihop":eapix3yh said:
if hes crossing not as much of an issue...

TEXAS
Pitt Creek Ranch
Lampasas and Cedar Park, Texas
Preston (Owner) 512-804-6610

Vista Knoll Farm
Dallas, Texas
Virginia & Charlie Whitworth
Raising Pure Devons since 1972
Virginia's Cell 972-989-4934
Charlie's Cell 903-815-8919

You made my point.
So we have a breeder or two that makes the gene pool with just a wading end.

One thing most producers overlook about stock cows is the condition of the rumen. I had an old rancher tell me,"don't feed the cow feed the rumen". Think of the rumen as a mobile septic tank. The heat of the bacterial growth help keeps the cow warm, digest coarse forage, the digestion of dead bacteria in the rumen, account for a significant percentage of the protein intake of the cow. Keep salt ( i used only red blocks) in front of cow all the time. Cows will consume more salt on a coarse diet. The salt stimulates a gland at the back of the mouth that excretes an amino acid, which in turns enhances bacteria growth in the rumen.

dzc3":jv8b2etr said:
One thing most producers overlook about stock cows is the condition of the rumen. I had an old rancher tell me,"don't feed the cow feed the rumen". Think of the rumen as a mobile septic tank. The heat of the bacterial growth help keeps the cow warm, digest coarse forage, the digestion of dead bacteria in the rumen, account for a significant percentage of the protein intake of the cow. Keep salt ( i used only red blocks) in front of cow all the time. Cows will consume more salt on a coarse diet. The salt stimulates a gland at the back of the mouth that excretes an amino acid, which in turns enhances bacteria growth in the rumen.

dzc3":jv8b2etr said:

I'd trade those salt blocks in for loose salt and loose mineral.....and I'd sharpen a pencil on the lick tub.... "feeding the rumen" is a catchy phrase ....it sells molasses lick tubs.

No Feeding the rumen is a lot more than a catchy phrase. There are many way to do it lick tubs are one of them feeding things like whole sunflower seeds that arent broke down and the oils released until they are in the rumen are another option . Loose salt and mineral is fine too. Blocks work good in my area. What do you feed your cattle to suplement an all grass diet?

dzc3":1yijba68 said:
No Feeding the rumen is a lot more than a catchy phrase. There are many way to do it lick tubs are one of them feeding things like whole sunflower seeds that arent broke down and the oils released until they are in the rumen are another option . Loose salt and mineral is fine too. Blocks work good in my area. What do you feed your cattle to suplement an all grass diet?
Stock salt and mineral.....