How you heat your home?

Help Support CattleToday:

jkwilson":p0pr3wah said:
Ryder":p0pr3wah said:
What heat in the ground?
Do you drill a hole all the way to the bad place or what?

It's actually heat from the sun that warmed the soil during the summer. Geothermal is kind of a misnomer.
They're really groundsource rather then geothermal. Geothermal is hooking up to heat sources (hot springs, geysers, etc.) and using that heat. Th pricipal of groundsource is that x number of feet deep the ground is alwasy x degrees depending on where you are. Around here if I rememeber correctly at 5 feet it's a constant 60 degrees give or take a degree, winter or summer.

When we built this house we went total electric with a zero clearance fireplace. We had that ducted to every room in the house. And it worked great for about 20 years. Last year we replaced it with a pellet stove and are pretty satisfied with it. With this cold spell, we've got the central (electric) heat turned on, too, but usually the pellet stove keeps us comfortable. It's cleaner than the fireplace, the 40 lb sacks of pellets are easier to handle than wood, and the amount of ash we carry out is almost laughable compared to the fireplace. Electric heat just doesn't keep me warm; I like to stand in front of the flames.

TexasBred":3dtck1x5 said:
Does noone here use clean burning "natural gas"???
Yes, and no. We used to have two natural gas forced air heat units outside but they both wore out. Natural gas here has risen in price so much that when we replaced them we went with dual units. Now we heat with 2 electric heat pumps until the outside temp drops to around 35 degrees. Then the two gas units ,one is a closet upstairs the other under the house kick on and we have real heat. We also have a large Heatilator built in fireplace that we burn wood in that helps a lot.

Latest posts