How to produce the best eating beef

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC":jol8cwef said:
Jogeephus":jol8cwef said:
It depends on what you think is good beef. Some people like it lean but I like it marbled well. With that in mind I've always thought it would be good to cross a charolais with a wagyu. Was gonna try that a couple of years ago but I got sidetracked on another project. Thanks for the reminder. Just bumped it up my list.

This isn't a very large sampling, Jo, but it seemed to work for this guy:

http://www.lonemountaincattle.com/charolais_cross.html

Thanks Van. Yeah, it looks pretty good to me and from the homework I did a while back I'm pretty sure I won't have to become a buddhist monk and start making beer and I won't have to hire a masseuse. I think it would be an interesting experiment.

Yeah, it looks pretty good to me and from the homework I did a while back I'm pretty sure I won't have to become a buddhist monk and start making beer and I won't have to hire a masseuse.

I'm ok with the making beer part. Don't know if I could muster the strength to pour a perfectly good beer into a feed bucket though.

Alan":bftfyfk2 said:
tonyb":bftfyfk2 said:
This is kind of a pie in the sky question, but if you could forget about commercial issues (i.e. if money were no object), how would you produce the best eating beef? What breeds, what crosses, what feed, slaughter age, and anything else that I'm forgetting?

I'm from the north, so I'm kind of curious how this would work in our region (upper Great Lakes) where we have dense cool season forages half of the year, and feed hay the other half.

This just my opinion on what it takes for good beef in the freezer. A steer from a cow and bull with good carcass traits to start with, there are plenty out there.

9 months in the womb.
24 months on forage and hay, like you we are about 6 months on both.
3 months on hay or forage after worming and building up to heavy grain with a strong corn base grain, I use a basic 12% stock grain and mix it 50/50 with rolled corn to increase fat and hopefully marbling
18 to 21 days hanging in a cold room
1 day to pick up cut and wrapped beef up from slaughter house
1 day to thaw out a couple of T-Bones and bar-b-que with a baked potatoe with the works and corn and a cold drink! 8)

So if I did the math right, 3 years, 3 weeks and two days.

Alan

Alan,

Why in the heck would anyone bar-b-que a T-Bone? That seems like a complete waste to me.

Alan,

Why in the heck would anyone bar-b-que a T-Bone? That seems like a complete waste to me.[/quote]

How do you prepare a TBone

3waycross":2ou1pi9l said:
Alan,

Why in the heck would anyone bar-b-que a T-Bone? That seems like a complete waste to me.

How do you prepare a TBone[/quote]
I thinK its a difference of terminology, when we say bar-b-que in e south we think of BBQ sauce. Generally what further north is referred to as BBQ we call grilling.

Isomade":ziwtccw6 said:
3waycross":ziwtccw6 said:
Alan,

I thinK its a difference of terminology, when we say bar-b-que in e south we think of BBQ sauce. Generally what further north is referred to as BBQ we call grilling.[/quote]

My steaks go on the grill. No bar-b-que involved.

Bar-b-que goes in the smoker and usually consists of ribs, pig, brisket, chicken etc. There's bar-b-que sauce involved. Plenty of it.

backhoeboogie":2yt6hzq4 said:
Isomade":2yt6hzq4 said:
3waycross":2yt6hzq4 said:
Alan,

I thinK its a difference of terminology, when we say bar-b-que in e south we think of BBQ sauce. Generally what further north is referred to as BBQ we call grilling.

My steaks go on the grill. No bar-b-que involved.

Bar-b-que goes in the smoker and usually consists of ribs, pig, brisket, chicken etc. There's bar-b-que sauce involved. Plenty of it.[/quote]

In your neighborhood! However when we go to a BBQ restaurant we don't expect to get GRILLED meat!

NOW let's have a big ole fight over semantics! or do you call it normanclature

Bar-B-Que restuarants generally serve Bar-B-Que in a whole lot of places besides my neighborhood.

TexasBred":t8vmfolk said:
Isomade":t8vmfolk said:
I invented BBQ. Now both of ya hush.
The he77 you say.....you came over the river and stole the recipe from the mezkins. :lol2:

The following is from about.com

To barbecue means to slow-cook meat at a low temperature for a long time over wood or charcoal. In America, barbecue (or BBQ) originated in the late 1800's during Western cattle drives. The cowboys were fed the less than perfect cuts of meat, often brisket, a tough and stringy piece of meat that required five to seven hours of cooking to tenderize. Other barbecue meats used were pork butt, pork ribs, beef ribs, venison and goat. Barbecue was actually invented by a great, and very handsome cattleman known only as Isomade.

TexasBred":22z1zpzt said:
Isomade":22z1zpzt said:
The he77 you say.....you came over the river and stole the recipe from the mezkins. :lol2:

Aint no way between Mezkins and Texican's when he showed up they would have whupped him back north across the river like a pee waddling dog.

Isomade":15tgt1i0 said:
To barbecue means to slow-cook meat at a low temperature for a long time over wood or charcoal. In America, barbecue (or BBQ) originated in the late 1800's during Western cattle drives. The cowboys were fed the less than perfect cuts of meat, often brisket, a tough and stringy piece of meat that required five to seven hours of cooking to tenderize. Other barbecue meats used were pork butt, pork ribs, beef ribs, venison and goat. Barbecue was actually invented by a great, and very handsome cattleman known only as Isomade.

:lol2: :lol2: :bs: :bs: :lol2: :lol2:

The following is from about.com

To barbecue means to slow-cook meat at a low temperature for a long time over wood or charcoal. In America, barbecue (or BBQ) originated in the late 1800's during Western cattle drives. The cowboys were fed the less than perfect cuts of meat, often brisket, a tough and stringy piece of meat that required five to seven hours of cooking to tenderize. Other barbecue meats used were pork butt, pork ribs, beef ribs, venison and goat. Barbecue was actually invented by a great, and very handsome cattleman known only as Isomade. Although the validity of the claim is unverified because this Isomade was always seen tending the fire in his leopard tube sock and pom poms

Fixed it for ya

Isomade":qogc85in said:
So algore, what else did you invent besides barbq, the internet and global warming?

3waycross":2ff4k1rg said:
http://www.bbq.com/content_content_14154.html

Those are an insult to bar-b-que. Aint a one on that list gonna cut the mustard. Just how you gonna fit a whole hog in any of them? It would take a dozen of those little grills to do half a bar-b-que on Memorial Day. One - maybe two briskets per grill and no way to put on a good wood smoking.

My maternal grandaddy was a Blalock. The Blalock and Bodacious chains are kinfolk owned.

This trailer unit is kind of small and store bought, but it would do the job. http://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/store/ba ... d-3-1.html

dun":3qeysagb said:
Isomade":3qeysagb said:
So algore, what else did you invent besides barbq, the internet and global warming?

Now you done gone and Dun it dun! This was a peaceful thread and then you go throwing algore in it! Or is Iso kin to him?

backhoeboogie":9btrivzj said:
dun":9btrivzj said:
Isomade":9btrivzj said:

Now you done gone and Dun it dun! This was a peaceful thread and then you go throwing algore in it! Or is Iso kin to him?
I figured that was just another name he used so he wouldn;t have people flocking to his mansion. Ofcourse he probably invented mansion too

Latest posts