How to produce the best eating beef

Help Support CattleToday:

tonyb

Reaction score
This is kind of a pie in the sky question, but if you could forget about commercial issues (i.e. if money were no object), how would you produce the best eating beef? What breeds, what crosses, what feed, slaughter age, and anything else that I'm forgetting?

I'm from the north, so I'm kind of curious how this would work in our region (upper Great Lakes) where we have dense cool season forages half of the year, and feed hay the other half.

It depends on what you think is good beef. Some people like it lean but I like it marbled well. With that in mind I've always thought it would be good to cross a charolais with a wagyu. Was gonna try that a couple of years ago but I got sidetracked on another project. Thanks for the reminder. Just bumped it up my list.

Jogeephus":3iyyuo9h said:
It depends on what you think is good beef. Some people like it lean but I like it marbled well. With that in mind I've always thought it would be good to cross a charolais with a wagyu. Was gonna try that a couple of years ago but I got sidetracked on another project. Thanks for the reminder. Just bumped it up my list.

This isn't a very large sampling, Jo, but it seemed to work for this guy:

http://www.lonemountaincattle.com/charolais_cross.html

In Japan they feed them beer and brush them every day . Isn't that what they do to kobi beef . Supposed to be real tender but I don't have 200 bucks for a steak .

They aren't fed beer. But they are finished for 399-600 days on corn, barleys, wheat.And is upwards of 200 bucks a lb. not 200 a steak.

tonyb":1c1i16af said:
This is kind of a pie in the sky question, but if you could forget about commercial issues (i.e. if money were no object), how would you produce the best eating beef? What breeds, what crosses, what feed, slaughter age, and anything else that I'm forgetting?

I'm from the north, so I'm kind of curious how this would work in our region (upper Great Lakes) where we have dense cool season forages half of the year, and feed hay the other half.

This just my opinion on what it takes for good beef in the freezer. A steer from a cow and bull with good carcass traits to start with, there are plenty out there.

9 months in the womb.
24 months on forage and hay, like you we are about 6 months on both.
3 months on hay or forage after worming and building up to heavy grain with a strong corn base grain, I use a basic 12% stock grain and mix it 50/50 with rolled corn to increase fat and hopefully marbling
18 to 21 days hanging in a cold room
1 day to pick up cut and wrapped beef up from slaughter house
1 day to thaw out a couple of T-Bones and bar-b-que with a baked potatoe with the works and corn and a cold drink! 8)

So if I did the math right, 3 years, 3 weeks and two days.

Alan

TennesseeTuxedo":3pfy9800 said:
One word...Angus. :cboy:

Oh Puke you put a Musk Ox steak on the table and say it was Angus 99% of American's would believe it was good.
The Angus Association has nothing on Obama when it comes to spinning BS.
And I have an Angus bull standing in the pasture.

TennesseeTuxedo":axcjxcfv said:
Does that mean you bought the hype or are you a hypocrite?

Neither name is Burno my butt rides a board seat on this buckboard full of bullshyt and buck shot, pulled by two blue nose mules up bluff banks. I here to put your butt in the back with the rest of the bullshyt.

Take a angus, Hereford,and any other major beef breed raise them to 30 months and the same relative size on the same good feed and care, then take their hides off and tell me which breed is which.

Alan

Not getting into breeds Put your calves on feed at 3 to 4 months of age with a high startch corn based feed,with low fiber. It will jump start marbeling then after 3 months on this feed them however you like, when we were raising some for beef we would then put them on full feed for the last 90 days 12 to 15 months harvest them 12 to1300lbs they always ate good.

TennesseeTuxedo":3c6liivo said:
One word...Angus. :cboy:
May not be angus but the sign out front and the menu will usually tell you it is. Could be anything. Gotta give them credit tho....they do promote their stuff.

hooknline":2ci28rn9 said:
They aren't fed beer. But they are finished for 399-600 days on corn, barleys, wheat.And is upwards of 200 bucks a lb. not 200 a steak.
I was just making a joke I don't know anything about it .

TennesseeTuxedo":36qz883x said:
Sounds like fun, kinda like a blind taste test.

What do you raise Alan?

Beef, dam good tasting too! The folks who have been around awhile know what we raise, for know on this post I raise beef.

While I like to stir things up every once in a while, once again this is a serious post from a first time poster that has been jacked and gone to he!!. Why not try to answer the question without stirring a first time poster. :bang: :bang: :bang:

There are lots of CAB bashing and defending if you do a search.

Latest posts