How times have changed - tv

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Watched an old TV game show.
Do You Trust Your Wife? - Host Edgar Bergen/Charlie McCarthy 1956-1957
One husband (25) and wife (26) team had been married 11 years, they got married in 1945 when she was 15 and
he was only 14!
... 7 children ages 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10 Wife said she'd like to make it an even dozen.
(They only won $100 paid to first round losers.)

Quiz show format with husband and wife teams.
First round winning team would go on to face last week's winners and winner gets annuity of $100 week for a year.
Longest winning team in history of the show won 23 straight weeks and won $100 week for 23 years.

Son of Butch said:
Watched an old TV game show.
Do You Trust Your Wife? - Host Edgar Bergen/Charlie McCarthy 1956-1957
One husband (25) and wife (26) team had been married 11 years, they got married in 1945 when she was 15 and
he was only 14!
... Last thing on my mind at 14 was getting married,,seems like it took 20 more years just to turn 18..

I wasn't around then to know what people were like, but that just seems young to be settling down. Kinda creepy to.

Around here in the past it was fairly common for folks to marry young like that. I have to think they were a lot more mature and had some concept of responsibility and a work ethic, that is lacking in the majority of that age group and older these days.

Probably from large families as well. Several living in a small house, you might want out as quick as you could.

My theory: Hormones. Young couples were either abstinent and didn't want to be so they up and married; or they weren't abstinent and so had to up and marry due to the bun in the oven. Either way, resulted in teen marriages.

I suspect boondocks is on the right track. Different times with different values. I know at 14 years old the primary thing on my mind was not tossing a football...that was a distant second. Nothing new under the sun, just different norms and values for different places on the timeline. There is a recent study out that says millenials are no where near as promiscuous as there previous generations...i suspect internet p*rn...that or its just too much work....

Bigfoot":3bzbfwfo said:
Probably from large families as well. Several living in a small house, you might want out as quick as you could.
Some of the parents wanted them out...I grew up with a friend, his dad was 27 and their maw was 15,. When they married.they'd be hollerin rape nowadays...with a complete description on the sex offender website...

bball":34oi1fay said:
I suspect boondocks is on the right track. Different times with different values. I know at 14 years old the primary thing on my mind was not tossing a football...that was a distant second. Nothing new under the sun, just different norms and values for different places on the timeline. There is a recent study out that says millenials are no where near as promiscuous as there previous generations...i suspect internet p*rn...that or its just too much work....
They'd rather stare at their cell phones.

ALACOWMAN":1opvfj0z said:
Bigfoot":1opvfj0z said:
Some of the parents wanted them out...I grew up with a friend, his dad was 27 and their maw was 15,. When they married.they'd be hollerin rape nowadays...with a complete description on the sex offender website...

My grandmother married at 13 my grandfather was 20 .

WORANCH":19eutyq7 said:
ALACOWMAN":19eutyq7 said:
Bigfoot":19eutyq7 said:

My grandmother married at 13 my grandfather was 20 .

Wasn't that unusual a 100 or more years ago. Kids didn't live at home into their 20's and 30's.
Just in my generation you were expected to get on your own when you graduated HS.

bball":4xv1i2rg said:
There is a recent study out that says millenials are no where near as promiscuous as there previous generations...i suspect internet p*rn...that or its just too much work....

One biggie is the consequences nowadays. Not like 1930's and 40's when a guy could knock up one or multiple women and just walk away and live his life and be responsible to no one.

Nowadays, if you have money, there are women that will hunt you down and try to get pregnant just so they can live on easy street. Happens in oil fields all the time.

Can't even hardly flirt with women nowadays without getting labeled with harassment. It's a different world from even 30 years ago, let alone 80.

ALACOWMAN":2pvfb4sw said:
Craig Miller":2pvfb4sw said:
If I only expected to live to 60 I get an earlier start too
60 Was a long life for some...
Still is, I've known many that didn't make it to 65.

As Kirby Puckett said about his career when he was forced to retire from baseball due to loss of vision in 1 eye....
"Tomorrow is not promised to anyone."
Kirby didn't know how right he was as he died 10 years later from a stroke at age 45.

Son of Butch":fg1bcq1s said:
ALACOWMAN":fg1bcq1s said:
Craig Miller":fg1bcq1s said:
If I only expected to live to 60 I get an earlier start too
60 Was a long life for some...
Still is, I've known many that didn't make it to 65.

As Kirby Puckett said about his career when he was forced to retire from baseball due to loss of vision in 1 eye....
"Tomorrow is not promised to anyone."
Kirby didn't know how right he was as he died 10 years later from a stroke at age 45.

A lot more 30 and 40 year olds in the cemetery than 80 year olds.

My great aunt finally threw in the towel on husband #3.. First one died from poisoned water . 2nd one ,TB took him out..last one died of natural causes..

Latest posts