How times have changed - tv

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":302yl4xm said:
Watched an old TV game show.
Do You Trust Your Wife? - Host Edgar Bergen/Charlie McCarthy 1956-1957
One husband (25) and wife (26) team had been married 11 years, they got married in 1945 when she was 15 and
he was only 14!
... 7 children ages 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10 Wife said she'd like to make it an even dozen.
(They only won $100 paid to first round losers.)

Quiz show format with husband and wife teams.
First round winning team would go on to face last week's winners and winner gets annuity of $100 week for a year.
Longest winning team in history of the show won 23 straight weeks and won $100 week for 23 years.

Probably a good show without having to watch advertising continually like todays TV. I just about can't stand TV anymore. Yesterday I tore down two Stihl MS290 chainsaws that need a rebuild and that sure beat TV. I have several more projects going on just need to get the parts in to complete.

Son of Butch":1y2naxvi said:
1 out of 50 15 year olds will be dead by age 25.
1 in 20 25 year olds die before age 45.
Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year.

There is a small cemetery just west of my place about 25 graves.
It is full of teenagers that died 1914-15
that was before the Spainish influenza epidemic. Heard it was cholera but don't know that to be gospel.

Could have been cholera. There was a bad cerebral meningitis epidemic in parts of E Texas in pre-WW1 years too. 1911-'12 and some of '13. Bryan College Station got hit hard & was under full quarantine. They had guards that wouldn't let anyone off the train that stopped at CS.

Ever see The Aviator..story of Howard Hughes? He had just hired a new foreman (Noah Dietrich) to run Hughes Corporation and the new hire asked "So when do we go to Houston?"
"Howard: We don't. Cholera epidemic in 1913, two thousand dead; whole place is nothin' but pestilential swamp. Typhus, malaria, cholera, yellow fever, you name it they got it."

That was exaggeration about the Houston death toll from Cholera but it was pretty bad.

Howard Hughes wasn't terribly fond of Houston and was OCD about being exposed to any germ..