How soon ofter AI

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
How soon can you accuratley preg check a cow after you AI her? Also last year or so there was a post on home preg test for cattle.... any updates?

Thanks,
Alan

Ultrasound -- 24 days
Rectal palpation -- 32 days
Blood test -- 28 or 30 days

That is, of course, depending on your/your vet's skill level.

id just watch the cows you AI for heats.an if you dont see any heats.the cows are most likely breed.but to get a more soild preg id check them at 60 days after breeding.

If you are really good at palpating it's not hard to detect one 3 weeks to 30 days bred. But, by the same token the cow should cycle by that period of time IF she is not bred. I'd probably just watch and pay close attention. I've noticed our local vet is extremely accurate on short bred cattle but can be off quite often on the longer bred cattle.

My vet said he is confident with palpating after 42 days. He said he usually can tell sooner but he would prefer to wait until then just to be sure. I appreciated him telling me this rather than him giving me a yes, maybe or no and not being sure. So far he hasn't been off on any out of about 50 he has done for me.

blacksnake":30y90vcl said:
My vet said he is confident with palpating after 42 days. He said he usually can tell sooner but he would prefer to wait until then just to be sure. I appreciated him telling me this rather than him giving me a yes, maybe or no and not being sure. So far he hasn't been off on any out of about 50 he has done for me.

For palpation most vets like to wait because in theory, less then that has a higher incidence of possible slipping of the pregnancy.

I took a course on Beef reproduction while in college, and a big part of the class was palpating and preg checking many cows. We rarely had any cows that were less than 45 days bred when we pregged, but I was able to ID some that the instructor guess to be 35 days bred. I think milkmaid is right on.

I was also taught anything under 60 days bred should be handled very carefully while palpating, because there is some risk to cause the cow to slip the calf if handled too rough.

TexasBred":3burs7ve said:
I've noticed our local vet is extremely accurate on short bred cattle but can be off quite often on the longer bred cattle.

I think sometimes they just have an off day. For most of the cows I know the exact breeding date because I AIed them. Some years the vet can palp them and be within 5-10 days of the actual number of days, other years he's been off by as much as 4 weeks with a couple. But that could be individual calves/cows too since he'll be right on the button with others.

dun":2cqargme said:
TexasBred":2cqargme said:
I've noticed our local vet is extremely accurate on short bred cattle but can be off quite often on the longer bred cattle.

I think sometimes they just have an off day. For most of the cows I know the exact breeding date because I AIed them. Some years the vet can palp them and be within 5-10 days of the actual number of days, other years he's been off by as much as 4 weeks with a couple. But that could be individual calves/cows too since he'll be right on the button with others.

I can palpate within three days of when a cow was bred.

Wednesday. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Bandit...I was palpating a bunch of big fat holsteins one day and really wasn't wanting any of them to be bred becuase they were huge. Ran my hand up one cow, pulled my arm out and said "open". Cow calved 3 days latter. lolol. I forgot everything I was ever taught just because I wanted to get rid of that big rascal. I noticed the old man that owned the dairy penned her off separate for some reason known only to him. When she calved he just smiled and said he could look at her and see the calf. I learned you never go in with an preconceived notions about what you'll find.

TexasBred":3rkfgafj said:
Bandit...I was palpating a bunch of big fat holsteins one day and really wasn't wanting any of them to be bred becuase they were huge. Ran my hand up one cow, pulled my arm out and said "open". Cow calved 3 days latter. lolol. I forgot everything I was ever taught just because I wanted to get rid of that big rascal. I noticed the old man that owned the dairy penned her off separate for some reason known only to him. When she calved he just smiled and said he could look at her and see the calf. I learned you never go in with an preconceived notions about what you'll find.

Can't say I haven't missed one or two either. My brother doesn't cull cows as hard as I do for whatever reasons, but he had a few for several years that I always wished were open. I would tell him they were open every year jokingly, but he knew better. The year one was finally open, he didn't believe me for a while.

I always have the best luck determining how far along they are when they are between 60-120 days bred. If they get past 150 days, I have a hard time telling how far along they are.

dun":km4fz3ml said:
TexasBred":km4fz3ml said:

Ditto. My vet tends to be right on up to 70 days bred, after that maybe 5-10 days off, no more. However... I have one cow he'll routinely call 30 days further along than she really is. I've had her for a little over 4 years now and it's the same every time she's bred, regardless of whether she's 60 days preg or 180 days preg.

TexasBred":23eg9bfj said:
Bandit do you ever use the uterine artery in palpating long bred cows?

No. Heard about it, but never learned enough about it to know when you could feel it.

When I took the class in the fall, most of the cows we pregged were either the university's cows or some individual's that calved in March/April. We were done with the actual palpation by early November, so the longest bred cows we got to preg were about 160-170 days bred. Our instructor didn't give much guidance once you got past that. Seems to me, genetics of the calf and what it's birth weight is going to be make a huge difference. I.E. a calf that will weigh 90 lb at birth will feel much different when palpated at 8 months than a calf that will weigh 60 lbs at birth.

Maybe you could enlighten me. :help:

I think the website for the blood tesing is http://www.biotracking.com.
You can draw a blood sample at 30 days post breeding and get very good results.
The kit is about $15 for enough supplies to take 12-15 samples. The actual test is about $2.25. You can get the results via email within about 36-48 hours from the time they get the sample. The samples are shipped at room temperature. The website provides lots of information on drawing the blood sample. Every sample I have taken has been done in less than 30-40 seconds. I hit the vein perfect one time and got the sample in 5 seconds.
You really should consider this technology.
We have been pleased.
UncleLA

UncleLA":rjornfkv said:
The kit is about $15 for enough supplies to take 12-15 samples. The actual test is about $2.25. You can get the results via email within about 36-48 hours from the time they get the sample. The samples are shipped at room temperature. The website provides lots of information on drawing the blood sample. Every sample I have taken has been done in less than 30-40 seconds. I hit the vein perfect one time and got the sample in 5 seconds.
We have been pleased.
UncleLA

Good info, thanks for the link, how much blood do you need to send in? 1cc, 3cc? Now I'll go and reasearch the site, but thought I would ask incase I couldn't find it. Also do you draw blood from the tail vain?

Thanks,
Alan

Okay, I went to the site and had both answers in about 1 minute :oops: . Thanks for the link.

Alan

TexasBred":1ygrc9ok said:
Bandit do you ever use the uterine artery in palpating long bred cows?
I have had several people teach me about the uterine aretery. However in learning how to "use it" you can get tricked. I know I did. There is atleast one other artery running along the hips of the cow. It took me a long time to get it figured out and it seems to be working now. If anyone else uses this technique I would love to hear there opinion.
When I am preg. checking (we AI so I know when they should be due) I try and lift the "parts" to see if there is weight to them. I also feel for the calf. As far as the artery I have felt a vein. I have also felt the artery. At first I had a tough time figuring out what I was supposed to be feeling for as far as finding the "pregnancy" artery. It was very frustrating although i pregged all my fall calvers weekend before last and felt both calves and the artery. In doing so I was able to tell the difference. I found the artery even in shorter bred cattle. In school they said you can't really use the artery until 5 months along but I felt it at 3-4. It is just smaller but you can still feel the pulsating. I probably am confusing but I still have a bit to work threw to get it set in stone.

UncleLA":1ygrc9ok said:
We have been pleased.
UncleLA

Until resently when I started feeling comfortable preg checking, (never under 45 days, can cause abortion easily if not extremely experianced) we used this blood test! It is beyond words as to the ease and convenience. I am not sure if I will still use it next breeding season. Probably will, I am not comfortable enough at 45 days to preg. We usually preg with blood at 30 days via a tail vain and 2cc of blood. Makes it a faster breed back if we know at 30 days and a lot more accurate. Supplies are cheeper buying from QC Supply or other livestock supply comp. than the kits they sell. Just my opinion.
Double R

Double R -- just FWIW, the uterine artery can be a good indicator of pregnancy, but shouldn't be used to determine length of pregnancy. Case in point -- a few weeks ago I preg checked two 6-month bred cows that are due within a week of each other. Found the artery on both; on one cow the artery was at least 2-3 times the size of the artery on the other. I even double checked and located the femoral arteries (on the inside of the leg) to make sure I didn't have hold of the wrong artery. (That's the cow my vet routinely calls 30 days farther along than she is, regardless of whether she's 60 or 180 days bred -- now I understand why!)

milkmaid":fbpwzsxz said:
Double R -- just FWIW, the uterine artery can be a good indicator of pregnancy, but shouldn't be used to determine length of pregnancy. Case in point -- a few weeks ago I preg checked two 6-month bred cows that are due within a week of each other. Found the artery on both; on one cow the artery was at least 2-3 times the size of the artery on the other. I even double checked and located the femoral arteries (on the inside of the leg) to make sure I didn't have hold of the wrong artery. (That's the cow my vet routinely calls 30 days farther along than she is, regardless of whether she's 60 or 180 days bred -- now I understand why!)

Milkmaid,
As always it is a pleasure to hear from you. I personally know my breeding dates now with AI'ing which makes it easier for me to use the uterine artery. My problem is still feeling comfortable that i am really feeling the uterine artery versus the fermoral arteries. Any advise on that!??? Take care,
Double R
Oh and how soon after a missed standing heat can you sync to breed asap? Any ideas?