How soon ofter AI

Help Support CattleToday:

Any advise on that!???

The uterine artery doesn't only pulsate, but it vibrates as well, especially further on in the pregnancy.

Earlier on you can usually feel the artery on one side (the horn where the foetus is) being more active than on the other side. Later on you can't really mistake the artery for something else.

Oh and how soon after a missed standing heat can you sync to breed asap? Any ideas?

2cc Estrumate 6 days after standing heat usually brings them into heat 2-3 days after the shot. (They usually respond on PGF2 in the timeframe of 5-16 days after the last heat, earlier than 5 days and there isn't a corpus luteum that can degenerate and after 16 days the corpus luteum is already busy to degenerate) If you can't heat observe and breed the few days after the shot you can time breed at 72 and again at 96 hours after the Estrumate.

You can also use Lutalyse instead of estrumate, the dose will then be 5cc instead of 2cc as in the case of Estrumate.

Double R -- one thing my vet pointed out to me is that the femoral arteries don't move. You can kind of sort of get your fingers around them and move them a tiny bit, but nothing like putting your hand around the uterine artery and moving it from one side of the cow to the other. If it moves, it's the uterine artery, if it won't move it's the femoral artery.

One thing that is very helpful for the vet is if you can tell them how far along the cow ought to be according to your records.

I always give the vet the number of days that I think the cow is bred and he confirms or adjusts.

This give the vet some frame of reference to adjust their skills and feel to know breeding dates. My vets have always appreciated this from me.

It is not only useful on short bred cows but also on longer bred cows as aging pregnancy after the uterus drops off the pelvic shelf is more difficult. My current vet has been palpating cows for over thirty years but he still likes going in for a known target date.

Latest posts