How Much Lime

Help Support CattleToday:

jack.diamond

Reaction score
We are having the pastures limed this month and I am looking for some idea of what would be considered an adequate amount of lime per acre. The soil tests have come back in the high 5's. I have heard no more than 1000 lbs per acre and one supplier said to use 500 lbs / acre, but do it twice. Some good advice is needed here. Thanks,

Jack

if your soil test shows high 5.then id say say you want a ph of 6.5 to 6.8.an id think it would take 1 to 2 tons of lime an ac to raise it that much.but then again its just my thoughts.

jack.diamond":2xzttotu said:
We are having the pastures limed this month and I am looking for some idea of what would be considered an adequate amount of lime per acre. The soil tests have come back in the high 5's. I have heard no more than 1000 lbs per acre and one supplier said to use 500 lbs / acre, but do it twice. Some good advice is needed here. Thanks,

Jack
Where in Tex. do you to men live. I am in Yantis Texas, Wood county. The people that did the test usually will recommend what you need. They usually need to know what you are planning to grow, I have always been told that a ton would change PH one point. Also th quality of the lime and the finess of it is also a factor. Most of the user's in this area use the Geargetown lime. You might call Lane fertilizer in Lindale, they do a lot of it. I looked at one place they had distributed lime on and it looked like it had snowed. I have had a ton to the acre put out and you could not hardly see it. Lane did not do mine.

Not really familiar with Texas dirt but up here you can spread lime a whole lot heavier than 500lbs an acre.

When I get my fields tested they (Cornell) always recomend how much lime to put out if you tell them what you're planning to do with the field.

There can be significant differences between suppliers of lime as well so you need to get your dirt tested and have a breakdown of what the dirt needs.
Take this breakdown to your lime supplier and they should have the information to match something up and the rate it needs to be applied.

hurleyjd":3084f6bd said:
jack.diamond":3084f6bd said:

Jack
Where in Tex. do you to men live. I am in Yantis Texas, Wood county. The people that did the test usually will recommend what you need. They usually need to know what you are planning to grow, I have always been told that a ton would change PH one point. Also th quality of the lime and the finess of it is also a factor. Most of the user's in this area use the Geargetown lime. You might call Lane fertilizer in Lindale, they do a lot of it. I looked at one place they had distributed lime on and it looked like it had snowed. I have had a ton to the acre put out and you could not hardly see it. Lane did not do mine.
im about 40 mins from you hurley .an i know a few people in yantis tx as well.

hurleyjd":8ofaek1p said:
jack.diamond":8ofaek1p said:

Jack

Hurley,

We sent the soil samples to A&M for analysis. The results indicated we had lots of calcium, magnesium and other minerals in the soil, needed some nitrates though. They recommended 2000 lbs per acre. We talked to several different suppliers about the application. Some wanted to put it down mixed with water, others using fine dry lime and another a more coarser dry mixture. I'm more for the coarser mixture, but I have a hard time imagining 2000 lbs per acre. Kind of like the comment you made where the place looked like it snowed. I want the lime to be utilized by the soil, not washed off in the next gully washer.

Jack

I just had a field tested and it came back with a 4.4. So I check with the local fert guy and his ENM was 1200. We end up putting 4 tons per acer. I also have noticed over the years the for each ton of lime I went up about 0.3 tenths, so with that said I'll be waiting for another year to plant any alfalfa.
Sam

Triple L":1jpq4q91 said:
I just had a field tested and it came back with a 4.4. So I check with the local fert guy and his ENM was 1200. We end up putting 4 tons per acer. I also have noticed over the years the for each ton of lime I went up about 0.3 tenths, so with that said I'll be waiting for another year to plant any alfalfa.
Sam

Thats another important thing about lime, it takes several years for an application to fully work it's magic.

1 ton per acre may be plenty to raise your ph to where you need it but it might take 3 or 4 years for the lime to finally do it.

Saltydawg":2wqv6y5y said:
Triple L":2wqv6y5y said:
Sam

Thats another important thing about lime, it takes several years for an application to fully work it's magic.

1 ton per acre may be plenty to raise your ph to where you need it but it might take 3 or 4 years for the lime to finally do it.

Ditto. That is probably why you are showing high Ca levels. Personally, I'm going to put at least a ton or not any at all. Cost of split application on lime doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Latest posts