How much "House Wood"?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Just wondering how much wood others burn during winter for heat.

Got about 5-6 cords split this weekend for a total of about 10 cords altogether. This should do me through unless it's unusally cold.

Only have one fireplace.

Been thinking about putting in a wood fired boiler heating system. Anyone else use 'em?

With the price of energy going through the roof, wood seems the way to go.

I put gas logs in my fireplace 3 years ago. I love em. Damn cutting fire wood. Damn hauling fire wood. Damn building a fire every evening.
My logs have a remote control with a thermostat in it just set it kick back.
As much as I love a good fire I don't miss it at all.

I do have one trouble though. I seem to cut about a truck load every year from snags and blow downs. I recon i will haul it to town this fall and buy some more gas.

alabama":1xn884e6 said:
I put gas logs in my fireplace 3 years ago. I love em. be nice cutting fire wood. be nice hauling fire wood. be nice building a fire every evening.

I do have one trouble though. I seem to cut about a truck load every year from snags and blow downs. I recon i will haul it to town this fall and buy some more gas.

Sounds you're getting a little lazy there boy. :lol:

I piped my fireplace with gas and haven't gotten tired of cutting wood yet.

MikeC":12k1geut said:
alabama":12k1geut said:
I put gas logs in my fireplace 3 years ago. I love em. be nice cutting fire wood. be nice hauling fire wood. be nice building a fire every evening.

Sounds you're getting a little lazy there boy. :lol:

I piped my fireplace with gas and haven't gotten tired of cutting wood yet.

My "X" wife had to have a fire every night. She would burn 1/2 a small pick up truck every day. Yes i would load the truck every other day and back it up to the door. and when she was gone, (BTW thank god and buick she is gone) I bought me some gas logs and I love em and thay are alot cheaper than a wife too. ;-) ;-)

Nothing like the comfort of wood heat. I burn about 3.5 to 4 cords. I have the stove down stairs and used well casing for my stovepipe. It is attached with logging chain to the first story floor and the second story ceiling. No more replacing stovepipe.

Rod

Couldn't say exactly how much we use in a year. I just cut up a downed tree every time we run out. Usually in the middle of a snow or ice storm. I really should start planning ahead, it's kind of hard on me setting in the truck watching my wife stack the wood on back. :lol:

cfpinz

MikeC":196nn6kn said:

Lately I am liking the idea of Geothermal heating and cooling, no I'm not a hippy or environmentalist, I just like the cheap heating and cooling part and rural/farm folks can also qualify for grants to pay for it, look at the bottom of the page at this link for info on the grants.

http://www.geoexchange.org/incentives/incentives.htm

We usually burn about 8 rick, we try to have 10 on hand just incase its a bad winter. We cut all ours in the fall. Had a couple rick left from last year. Going to have to get started cutting before long.

MikeC":1dwayngk said:
Just wondering how much wood others burn during winter for heat.

Got about 5-6 cords split this weekend for a total of about 10 cords altogether. This should do me through unless it's unusally cold.

Only have one fireplace.

Been thinking about putting in a wood fired boiler heating system. Anyone else use 'em?

Depends on the wood. Oak hickory will last a whole lot longer then alder or cottonwood.
In Washington we burned about 12 cords a year.
Here we burned around 1 1/2 - 2 depending on the winter.

now hackberry is a hot burning wood.itll put out as much or more heat than oak.an it burns super hot.

bigbull338":3pytmxna said:
now hackberry is a hot burning wood.itll put out as much or more heat than oak.an it burns super hot.

For how long? I leave all the hackberry trees, but hickory will form clnkers almost like coal.
In airtight stoves we wo9uld only put wood in them twice a day, and not much wood at that. Except in washington where the alder burns about like balsa.

Knersie, here's a site that has some pictures and explains a cord of wood:

http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/cord.htm

We have two large white oaks in our front yard, very close to the house; they're probably 150-200 years old. A few weeks ago, I looked out an upstairs window and saw this:

PIC00001.jpg

Here's the tree guy cutting that section off; they also had to do some additional pruning of the rest of the tree in order to balance it a bit after removing that large a section:
PIC00007.jpg

Here's what it looks like now (I know a lot of people don't paint that stuff on it, but we decided to anyway):
PIC00008.jpg

And Mr. Gale will have to get busy with the wood splitter, but at least we'll have firewood:
PIC00009.jpg

A cord is a stack of wood 4' X 4' X 8' . At least that's what they call it around here. I burn four or five cords an average winter.

a cord of wood is 128 cubic Ft of wood, 4ftx4ftx8ft. We measure firewoods by ricks, a rick is 2ftx4ftx8ft. 1 cord = 2 rick
it does depend on how long your sticks are but this is pretty close.

Crackerplease didn't see that you had answered him. I am a slow typer. Glad to see I was right I thought I remembered it but wasn't sure. Does anyone else measure in ricks?

Crackerplease":15cvwbfo said:
A cord is a stack of wood 4' X 4' X 8' . At least that's what they call it around here. I burn four or five cords an average winter.

You are exactly right. Now days they have "face cord" which is 4 foot tall and 16 feet long, but the wood is only 16 to 18 inch pieces. So it does not measure up. But they want just as many nickels.

We lived in Alaska when I was a kid. We had a barrel stove and burned 10 cords each year. I can't imagine burning that much in the south.

Last winter I took 2 cords of pecan to my oldest daughter and they did not go through them in their fire place. I cut them 16 inches so each cord was three rows, 8 feet long and 4 feet high. 16 inch pieces are easier for me to split.

I burn 2 cords in the wood stove to supplement the central air in a 3800 square foot house. Most of my burning takes place in the evenings or on weekends. That wood stove will run you out of the living room. Don't know how many times the wife has opened the door to cool the house off.

I burn about 4 or 5 cord depending on the winter. The shed will hold 7 cord. I try to fill it every year. I would rather have a little left over than to be caught short. When the kids were still living with me I went through more, but living alone the fire has more chances to go out. I go through more kindling now restarting the fire.

I have a hardy outdoor furnace we heat about 2500 sq. ft. and our water. It takes from 7 to 10 ricks of wood per season. It is also backed up with electric heat, which I can't afford to run in the coldest part of the winter. It is only fired once per day unless the temp. stay below 10 degrees in the day then it is fired 2 or 3 time per day. It will burn elm or what ever except Osage orange. It is one of the best investments that was ever put on our place.

Latest posts