How much "House Wood"?

Help Support CattleToday:

I usually burn around 4-5 ricks of wood each winter. Gotta fireplace that uses its own air duct system, and has its own thermostat. that way it cuts down on the propane usage. :)
I like it.

alabama":9ba0c4xz said:
I put gas logs in my fireplace 3 years ago. I love em. be nice cutting fire wood. be nice hauling fire wood. be nice building a fire every evening.
My logs have a remote control with a thermostat in it just set it kick back.
As much as I love a good fire I don't miss it at all.

I do have one trouble though. I seem to cut about a truck load every year from snags and blow downs. I recon i will haul it to town this fall and buy some more gas.

I can't convince my hnsband, but I love a gas fireplace. To heck with sparks, ash, bugs and mess. You can make them to where they look like actual wood. My next home will have a gas fireplace.

Lammie":x9f03tof said:
alabama":x9f03tof said:
I put gas logs in my fireplace 3 years ago. I love em. be nice cutting fire wood. be nice hauling fire wood. be nice building a fire every evening.

I do have one trouble though. I seem to cut about a truck load every year from snags and blow downs. I recon i will haul it to town this fall and buy some more gas.

I can't convince my hnsband, but I love a gas fireplace. To heck with sparks, ash, bugs and mess. You can make them to where they look like actual wood. My next home will have a gas fireplace.

Why not just use a gad central heater and put in one of those phny electric flickering light fireplaces?

Lammie":2h2nmya0 said:
alabama":2h2nmya0 said:

My wife loves that real wood burning and the smell of it. With the type of fireplace we have, u dont have all the sparks, ash, and mess. (unless I get recklass when cleaning it)
here is what we have: http://www.countryflame.com/

dun":2y356xa0 said:
Lammie":2y356xa0 said:
alabama":2y356xa0 said:

Why not just use a gad central heater and put in one of those phny electric flickering light fireplaces?

Dun, that was just a typical man reaction to the thought of never getting to watch your wife clean a fireplace again. ;-)

If the object is heat you can stand next to and warm your bum, then the Dearborn stove is for you. I really miss mine. I had a little old o house, maybe 900 sq ft and if I kept my bedroom door shut, it heat the other rooms without really having to turn it up. Dearborn heaters are the only kind we had as a kid. I have a couple of burn scars. Every room in the house freezing except for the kitchen and living room and the bathroom when people were taking baths. No other time.

I hate a cold bathroom! Saw a mobile home Saturday with a gas fireplace and a flat screen TV in the bathroom. I mean, it was really built like that, not some Joe Bob adding it...

Gale Seddon":e6h46yr2 said:
cfp, yes, we did...far more reasonable than buying a "round pen" by name. He's a nice fella.

Yup. You'd think I've put his daughter thru college with all his gates hanging around here. :lol:

cfpinz

Lammie":3swvocf4 said:
dun":3swvocf4 said:
Lammie":3swvocf4 said:
alabama":3swvocf4 said:

Dun, that was just a typical man reaction to the thought of never getting to watch your wife clean a fireplace again. ;-)

Only problem is I was the one that cleaned the fireplace. Wife helped haul and split wood, but I was the one thta hauled ashes (from the wood burners).

We have a energy efficient fireplace with fans and a wood burner attached to the forced air in the basement.

10 to 12 4X4X8 will heat our home from Oct-May.

Oak, Poplar, Ash and Pine and all kinds of slabs from the sawmill.

I also have a cabin out on the ranch I keep heated with wood, about 6 cords there.

Limomike, that's one pretty stove!

We've got a Vermont Castings Defiant (small one). I love having a fire, but I hate the mess of the wood (and the creepy crawlies that come in on it). The ice storm last Valentine's Day we lost power and heat for two days and had NO WOOD! Our wonderful neighbor down the road brought us a bucket loader full and saved our butts. Once we get our big tree limbs split, I'm planning to take him some.

Gale Seddon":18bylro9 said:
Knersie, here's a site that has some pictures and explains a cord of wood:

http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/cord.htm

We have two large white oaks in our front yard, very close to the house; they're probably 150-200 years old. A few weeks ago, I looked out an upstairs window and saw this:

PIC00001.jpg

Here's the tree guy cutting that section off; they also had to do some additional pruning of the rest of the tree in order to balance it a bit after removing that large a section:
PIC00007.jpg

Here's what it looks like now (I know a lot of people don't paint that stuff on it, but we decided to anyway):
PIC00008.jpg

And Mr. Gale will have to get busy with the wood splitter, but at least we'll have firewood:
PIC00009.jpg

Gail what a beautiful tree.You are soo lucky I would love to have trees that old and beautiful here.I can't imagine what it must be like for you to look out your window everyday and see it.

hillsdown, when I saw that crack, I about died! We moved quickly to get someone out here. It was not cheap, but I knew we had to do something to protect the tree. Those trees provide such beautiful shade over the house and the tractor shed (and the big branch they removed would have fallen ON the tractor shed and the tractor, never mind all the kazillion odds and ends in there).

If trees could talk, I wonder what these two would say.

backhoeboogie":3lxdube7 said:
Crackerplease":3lxdube7 said:
A cord is a stack of wood 4' X 4' X 8' . At least that's what they call it around here. I burn four or five cords an average winter.

You are exactly right. Now days they have "face cord" which is 4 foot tall and 16 feet long, but the wood is only 16 to 18 inch pieces. So it does not measure up. But they want just as many nickels.

We lived in Alaska when I was a kid. We had a barrel stove and burned 10 cords each year. I can't imagine burning that much in the south.

Last winter I took 2 cords of pecan to my oldest daughter and they did not go through them in their fire place. I cut them 16 inches so each cord was three rows, 8 feet long and 4 feet high. 16 inch pieces are easier for me to split.

I burn 2 cords in the wood stove to supplement the central air in a 3800 square foot house. Most of my burning takes place in the evenings or on weekends. That wood stove will run you out of the living room. Don't know how many times the wife has opened the door to cool the house off.

You're right, there are two rick cords ( 24" X 4' X 8' ) and three rick cords ( 16" X 4' X 8' ) but how ever you do it a full cord is 4' X 4' X 8' over all.

Boogie we have the same problem with our wood burning stove, too hot in the living areas but pretty chilly in the back part of the house. What we've started doing is put the central heat fan in the manual on mode and let it run all the time and cirl. the hot air to the back part of the house. Keeps it warmer back there and a little cooler in the main part of the house.

We burn 4 - 5 ricks a year.

;-)

I really really wanted a wood stove in our new house but I was so surprized at how much they cost compared to a gas insert, plus the fact that I'm allergic to smoke. :roll:

I'm really surprized at how much wood some of ya'll saw you burn. We sell firewood, and our biggesst customer only uses 4 cords a winter - and that's their only heat source. We have already started delivering wood this season, and it's still HOT! We've got 12 cords already sold just to regular customers. We get all our wood from fallen/dead trees from our place and other people we know/neighbors who want their fallen/dead trees removed. On average we cut-split-stack about 2 cords a weekend.

I was wondering how much wood runs a cord in other parts of the country? We're getting $150 cord + delivery.

the guys selling wood here want $125 a cord an you pick it up.an some want $150 or more delivered.i lucked out when wood got that high.an bought a almost new chainsaw an woodsplitter for $600 5yrs ago.an we cut an splitt our own wood now.

We only burn about 1/3 cord a year in the fireplace. Our biggest use for wood is our bonfires. Each bonfire will use about 1/2 - 1 cord of wood. My wife went to Texas A&M and she really enjoys these. Says it brings back memories.

They sure aren't as big a thing since the accident serveral years ago, but a cord of wood, wouldn't be a drop in the bucket to what the A&M bonfire used to be.

We started out with axes and wedges, but that was for the dogs so we bought one of those $1000 log splitters from TSC 3 yrs ago and started with Poulan Wildthings. Then we bought 2 Stihls and we still have 3 Wildthings. We put about $2500 into the business and made that back in the 1st year.

Latest posts