How much do you tolerate?

Help Support CattleToday:

Totally agree with CB.
As far as EPD & Pedigree - that's a buying issue - not culling. And it is just a small PIECE of the PUZZLE. I won't necessarily pass up a poor EPD'd "good" cow, just have to pick a bull that will compliment her. When buying, I look over sale catalogs real close - looking for poor breeders. Fertility is one of top priorities when we buy. (calving every 12 months - or bred on time as a heifer.) Rarely buy open heifers.
Of course, structure, temperament, udders, performance, thriftyness - all come into the puzzle when buying as MAIN pieces.

Of course, structure, temperament, udders, performance, thriftyness - all come into the puzzle when buying as MAIN pieces.
Absolutely correct! TOOLS! TOOLS! TOOLS! All factors must come into play, along with a breeder's LONG term goals for what he is expecting his herd to accomplish in the future. This business is NOT a BU$INE$$ whereby a quick, fast, instantaneous decision will cut the mustard. You might have to end up "Cutting the Bull!

DOC HARRIS

I wont tolerate bad udders, cows that melt down raising a calf, cows or bulls I can't keep in, prolapsers, cows that raise poor calves, cows that wont breed back soon enough, heifers that remain open too long, cows or bulls that go completely insane when you corrall them up or any just down right mean cow or bull. I don't have time for any of the above and they are proven to be hard on the bottom line or personel safety.
I have a few that I have tolerated the last couple of years that get boxy on me and they can start a stampede at any given moment, but they raise the best calves on the place and breed back on time. BUT, after working them yesterday I believe they've gained another wheel apiece.

ok yall were askin bout epds well we kinda cull on epds. over the past couple years weve bought a couple reg gelb bulls. at the sales we bought based on apper the 1st one looked good and the only epd we looked at was bw an high weaning weight and on the 2nd one was purly milk since we run a comm cattle op thoses are the top 2 epds we single out milk and ww ..have to have good milk when young to get good weighted cattle

Latest posts