How Much Do You Leave?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
When cutting your fields for hay, how much of a crown do you leave for re-growth? I read that it takes so much energy from the crown if you graze it too short. So how much of the grass/legume crown do you want to leave after cutting for hay?

I cut ryegrass for hay and silage as low as I can without scalping it. Usually down to between 1-2". Most important thing is to avoid soil in the clamp. For later cuts if its very dry I might leave a bit more.

The reason I ask is that I see so many people cutting it down as far as they can next to the ground. When they finish, I see no green in the field, just what appears to be dry undergrowth. This year I saw it happen, then very little rain, and still the field is brown.

With rotational grazing, the idea is not to let the cattle over graze the grass so that the growth will come back strong.
Seems scalping the grass would set it back, and the scheduled 28 day cycle would not apply. I would think that leaving the crown would benifit the grass just as it does with the grazing system.

grazing it close and cutting it close are 2 differant things.when you rotate graze your pastures.you graze it down to 2 to 3in above the ground.an when your cutting hay.you set your cutter to where it cuts level.wich means you leave 2 to 3 in of grass.dont want cutter down in the ground.dirt will dull the blades.hitting rocks cutting in ground will chip or break the blades.there you have to change them.scott

personal choice
4" for me,keeps the mower out of the rocks,shades the ground better to deter weed growth, and allows for regrowth for second cutting of clover/grass hay.
None of which happened this year.....

It also depends on what kind of grass you are cutting. Some need more residual height than others, generally natives more so than improved grasses. I think the main concern is to let each plant recover enough so that it can re-store enough energy during the remainder of the growing season, so that it will be healthy and 'competitive' the next season.

xtrmeharley, I was thinking more along the lines of an established hay field like Orchard grass/red clover, or bermuda/Patriot clover. I can understand taking it down close if it is a one time cut such as millet hay, etc....
I have had Orchard grass pasture that did excellent before. Of course when I would mow it occasionally, I would leave around 3 inches. Just remembering the crown of Orcahard grass, seems it wouldn't take that close shave, but of course I could be wrong.

I cut at 4 inches in height. Any less than that and your plants will be using root reserves to get going again. Which if drawn down too much will lower the plants capability to overwinter. One year I cut half a field at four inches and half at less than two. The four inch section was ready to pasture in three weeks, it was 8 inches tall. The short cut section took almost five weeks to regrow to 8 inches and it didn't produce as much dry matter the rest of the year as the four inch did.

Bobg

Bobg":dna5tj8k said:
I cut at 4 inches in height. Any less than that and your plants will be using root reserves to get going again. Which if drawn down too much will lower the plants capability to overwinter. One year I cut half a field at four inches and half at less than two. The four inch section was ready to pasture in three weeks, it was 8 inches tall. The short cut section took almost five weeks to regrow to 8 inches and it didn't produce as much dry matter the rest of the year as the four inch did.

Bobg
Bobg - that is a great answer! A picture is worth a thousand words, and that was a terrific word picture!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts