How much Angus is to much?

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":33paxev8 said:
jdg":33paxev8 said:
Has anyone used Senepol as the cross over the british breeds, instead of Brahma, to get the heat tolerance? I realize there is less hybrid vigor, staying within the species, but it would seem they might offer the heat tolerance and slick coat, without giving up some of the potential disadvantages of Bos Indicus cattle.

The only disadvantages to Bos Indicus cattle was spoon fed to you by the people who brought you the scam CAB.

CB you are correct and I don't raise Brimmers. One of the best feedlot managers to drive the alleys in this country taught me with plenty of good corn about anything will be tender and tasty. I drive a ways to buy CHB now when I buy any. It is as tender, IMO has more flavor and usually less wasteful fat. The Angus people did a great job convincing many it was the best. How and what you feed a beef has a lot to do with how tender and flavorful it is.

True Grit Farms":1sfsaow6 said:
Caustic Burno":1sfsaow6 said:
jdg":1sfsaow6 said:
Has anyone used Senepol as the cross over the british breeds, instead of Brahma, to get the heat tolerance? I realize there is less hybrid vigor, staying within the species, but it would seem they might offer the heat tolerance and slick coat, without giving up some of the potential disadvantages of Bos Indicus cattle.

The only disadvantages to Bos Indicus cattle was spoon fed to you by the people who brought you the scam CAB.

Just because a breed of cattle does well in a certain environment, doesn't mean it's a good eating experience. CAB excels on the dinner plate as steaks, the southern heat tolerant breeds make great hamburgers. Finding a happy medium between the two is what I'm looking for.
CB, have you ever ate any venison from the corn belt? Venison from the corn belt has more of a beef flavor and is a more tender piece of meat. Open your eyes to the big picture, everyone isn't so lucky to be from the south.

You shouldn't be buying any then.
We will continue to laugh all the way to the bank.
Pounds mash scales not paper is that the reason your looking for some?

To answer the question: How much Angus is too much?
Same as any other breed... no more than 50% unless registering cattle.
3 way crosses work best: 50/50 of 2 breeds of your choice (F1) and 3rd pure breed = 50/25/25 offspring.

I'm looking for some because my Beefmaster x Angus calves are all black, don't have nearly as many flies, hold condition good in the bad times, raise a nice calf, and so far every heifer has been a keeper. I haven't noticed the Beefmaster calves mashing the scales anymore so than anything else though. And there's no doubt that my Simmental cross calves out grow the Beefmaster cross calves using a creep feeder. The extra inputs to run big cattle and raise big calves isn't worth the time or money in the south.

I believe Bos Indicus reach puberty later than Bos Taurus, and across the board are less docile. (Of course i'm sure there's plenty of Bos Indicus that are as tame as a puddy cat, but I've been around more than a few that would take your head off.) In many parts of the country, ear is docked at the sale barn, and while i know CAB has done a number on the US industry, I believe they've been docking ear since before CAB was in diapers. And while i'm sure they're are some great scanning Bos Indicus cattle out there, as a species they do not perform as well as many of the Taurus cattle, especially the british breeds.

That's why I brought up Senepol (N'dama x Red Poll) I'm interested in crossing them with Red Angus and or red baldies, and wanted to see if anyone had experience. My british breed cattle need a little more adaptability here in South GA with the heat and fly tolerance.

jdg":3kdlcu5e said:
I believe Bos Indicus reach puberty later than Bos Taurus, and across the board are less docile. (Of course i'm sure there's plenty of Bos Indicus that are as tame as a puddy cat, but I've been around more than a few that would take your head off.) In many parts of the country, ear is docked at the sale barn, and while i know CAB has done a number on the US industry, I believe they've been docking ear since before CAB was in diapers. And while i'm sure they're are some great scanning Bos Indicus cattle out there, as a species they do not perform as well as many of the Taurus cattle, especially the british breeds.

That's why I brought up Senepol (N'dama x Red Poll) I'm interested in crossing them with Red Angus and or red baldies, and wanted to see if anyone had experience. My british breed cattle need a little more adaptability here in South GA with the heat and fly tolerance.
And yet they are raising purebred Angus further south then you...

ALACOWMAN":2245v7fh said:
jdg":2245v7fh said:

But we are also using more fly spray! Of course, with all the rain the south has been receiving lately, it's all being washed off about as quick as we apply it! The good part is our non-ear'd black cows aren't having to wade into the ponds and canals to cool off. They just stand in the pasture and get soaked!

Gators Rule":vov5lg9h said:
ALACOWMAN":vov5lg9h said:
jdg":vov5lg9h said:

But we are also using more fly spray! Of course, with all the rain the south has been receiving lately, it's all being washed off about as quick as we apply it! The good part is our non-ear'd black cows aren't having to wade into the ponds and canals to cool off. They just stand in the pasture and get soaked!

Those last 3 black Angus you bought won't have any problems. There's no shade where they came from and it gets really hot and muggy there.

Supa Dexta":1qpqqppv said:
Careful with the pounds pi$$in match or the canadians may show up.

Those cows would melt most of the worlds beef comes from sub tropical regions.
Got to remember most of the worlds cattle herd is bos indicus influenced with over 40% of the US cow herd.

Caustic Burno":1xh1r874 said:
Supa Dexta":1xh1r874 said:

Got to remember most of the worlds cattle herd is bos indicus influenced with over 40% of the US cow herd.

And a lot of it is cooked in a cave on a stick. There's a good market for quality prime beef, and it doesn't have to be Kobe or Wagau, but it can't be Brahman.

True Grit Farms":17wg3fwg said:
Just because a breed of cattle does well in a certain environment, doesn't mean it's a good eating experience. CAB excels on the dinner plate as steaks, the southern heat tolerant breeds make great hamburgers. Finding a happy medium between the two is what I'm looking for.
CB, have you ever ate any venison from the corn belt? Venison from the corn belt has more of a beef flavor and is a more tender piece of meat. Open your eyes to the big picture, everyone isn't so lucky to be from the south.

Environmental adaptability is the first thing you should select for in a cow. Then select a bull that produces the kind of calf you are looking for. There are Santa Gertrudis and Brangus breeders selecting for improved carcass traits so don't let that stop you. A 3/8 blood bull (Gert or Brangus) on your English bred will produce a calf with less than 1/4 blood Brahman influence (actually 3/16). Buyers here will place those 3/16 influence calves right on the same orders as the best calves and never bat an eye.

What goes through an order buyers mind?
1) Does the calf fit an order I have?
2) What is the sex of the calf? Is it a bull, steer or heifer?
3)What is the estimated quality?
4) What does the calf weigh?
5) Is the calf the right color?
6) Does it fit my money?
It is all about perception AND it has to be done in 8 to 12 seconds. At nearly all the sales here, the cattle are weighed as they leave the ring so you have to be pretty good at estimating weight.

Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBA_kHwf54c

True Grit Farms":xjt6ao7v said:
Caustic Burno":xjt6ao7v said:
Supa Dexta":xjt6ao7v said:

And a lot of it is cooked in a cave on a stick. There's a good market for quality prime beef, and it doesn't have to be Kobe or Wagau, but it can't be Brahman.

Why are you infusing them in your herd?
To improve your herd?
You seem confused one thread your wanting to add more influence the next thread your bashing the direction you want to head.

TG
I listened to a speaker once that was a buyer for one of the nations largest feedlots. He was asked a question about how much ear he wanted in cattle for the feedlot. His answer was just enough to know it had some Brahma influence but only if your looking really close. Based on that I would be looking at Brangus. I think both Brahman and Brangus have something to bring to the table I just think for what your trying to achieve the Brangus is a better fit.

Gizmom

True Grit Farms":2al6gm6b said:
We're an Angus based crossbred operation. I'm wanting to add some Brahma to the mix, will I get enough Brahman infuence using Brangus bulls? I plan on following the Brangus with Braford. Just wondering if I should go the Braford route first. The problem is I need to have some black calves for my commercial heifer sales. Everything you do in the cattle business takes a long time to see the results.

Im confused. Do you want to make Super Baldies or was the a Brahman bashing deal?

If you want awesome baldies go Brahman over Angus, the take the F1s back to Hereford.

gizmom":2zae8ict said:
TG
I listened to a speaker once that was a buyer for one of the nations largest feedlots. He was asked a question about how much ear he wanted in cattle for the feedlot. His answer was just enough to know it had some Brahma influence but only if your looking really close. Based on that I would be looking at Brangus. I think both Brahman and Brangus have something to bring to the table I just think for what your trying to achieve the Brangus is a better fit.

Gizmom

Braford as a composite seem to be more standardized than Brangus IMO.
You will see some Brangus showing more Brahman characteristics the next more Angus standing in the same herd.
I like both the knock on Bradford's is registered are harder to come by in my area. To be fair not near as many registered Braford to compare to.
The F-1 Braford is queen here.

ALACOWMAN":1ho81p5j said:
The F1 braford is perfect for southern commercial herds..they'll work with the bull of your choosing..

I concur.
A Char bull will make monster calves that will bust the scales.
I prefer Angus on those girls.

Latest posts