how many of you called your vet yesterday?

Help Support CattleToday:

Most of my "farm calls" cost me a sit-down dinner at some restaurant - wife does most all of our work. She gets into the gorey crap. If we have to call in a paid vet (once every few years or so) it's pretty serious. Usually just shoot those.

TexasBred":2zaykxjm said:
milkmaid":2zaykxjm said:
I understand where you're coming from BB and TB... for me though, sure I can treat plenty of problems, but my questions are more along the lines of "why". It's not enough for me to know what, I want to know why too. I read a vet book or a drug label and it says you cannot do a certain thing; I want to know why not. Or an animal shows up with a problem and I know what's wrong, treat it, and there's no response. Why? Or this calf that was already being treated with high doses of antibiotics for something else, and then she develops joint ill while on antibiotics. Makes no sense. I want to know why (and if we have the same opinion on treatment, LOL). And so my vet gets called. :p I call him plenty of times for an opinion on an animal too; don't always trust myself enough when I'm dealing with expensive critters.

:) When you finish vet school we'll all call you and ask you these questions. Free consultations of course :)

:lol2: For friends and online... sure. For real clients... prolly not.

BTW, I learned why that joint ill showed up... because systemic antibiotics are useless against joint infections; they don't penetrate the joint in effective concentrations. Have to inject antibiotics into the joint. Intriguing. Calfie's looking good today and my vet thought so too.

milkmaid":2orbt77h said:
Seems there's very rarely a holiday that I don't have a problem or emergency that demands veterinary attention. Dogs, horses, cows, you name it. These problems never occur on days when my vet isn't busy -- part of Murphy's Law must say, somewhere, something about vet emergencies having to happen on weekends or holidays. :lol2: Anyone else feel that way?

I didn't call my vet yesterday (decided it could wait a few more hours), but I sure did call first thing this morning. :p

Actually i did but not over a cow. My pride and joy, Newfouindland, got into the rat poison we had stored when we put our baler away, ate some of it, called the Vet, he called right back said not to worry. For a short time I was pretty upset wondering if my dog was going to die right then and there.

I appreciate our Vets we deal with, so nice and understanding, even with a semi hysterical broad!
:nod:
Gail

milkmaid":3h4hco0i said:
BTW, I learned why that joint ill showed up... because systemic antibiotics are useless against joint infections; they don't penetrate the joint in effective concentrations. Have to inject antibiotics into the joint. Intriguing. Calfie's looking good today and my vet thought so too.

Hmm interesting , why don't they tell you that to begin with?? If I ever have a case of that again ( touch wood that I don't) I am going to be very aggressive with it as there really is nothing to lose. What meds MM ,just a pen or something stronger??

GMN I am glad your "baby" is OK.. I would be hysterical too.

Thus we see why it's harder to get large animal vets. They would have to compete with some who will only charge $40 for a call. That's ridiculous. If you want to keep having help, better pay more.

Everyone that picks their vet's brains should also send them a check. What's you guy's profession? Mechanic? Want your customer to call you all day asking how to fix that transmission?

I've worked in a vet clinic and see how their time is stolen.

It's going to be nothing but dogs in the future.

hillsdown":1h432i8h said:
milkmaid":1h432i8h said:

Hmm interesting , why don't they tell you that to begin with?? If I ever have a case of that again ( touch wood that I don't) I am going to be very aggressive with it as there really is nothing to lose. What meds MM ,just a pen or something stronger??

I suspect it's because 1) if the calf has joint ill, the chance of recovery with an undamaged joint is so slim the vet figures even a joint injection won't save it. 2) One has to be so careful when doing joint injections so as not to introduce new bacteria into the joint, that most people would cause more problems than they solve. If the calf was brought into the clinic the vet would inject the joint though. And 3) alot of folks can't handle normal vacc and antibiotic SC or IM treatment, so how would a vet expect they'd be able to inject a joint?

On this calf, I shaved the knee prior to flushing the joint, scrubbed the area thoroughly with chlorhexidine (Nolvasan), flushed it, and then injected antibiotics and anti-inflammatory into the area over the joint with the swelling. My vet told me to give it 3-4 days from now and if the calf shows more signs of lameness to repeat treatment, otherwise, I shouldn't inject it due to the chance of causing a new infection.

I sent you a PM re what meds I used.

the lack of well trained vets is why alot of us do our own vet work.ive had 2 or 3 vets out over the years that wasnt worth a durn.had 1 vet charge $20 to palpate 2 cows.but that was our falt.was taking them to a sale an needed them palpated.

ALACOWMAN":14jwujjh said:
baxter78":14jwujjh said:
I rarely have to call the vet. If I do it is mainly to get some advice or purchase some banamine or something like that.
the last time i called a vet his answering machine said their would be a charge of 30.00 for any advise over the phone. i slammed the phone down hoping he didnt see me on his caller id ;-)

I am very fortunate that I have two very good vet clinics ithin 45 mins drive. Both vets gladly gives advice over the phone or even answers emails with pics attached. They know I don't call them for BS and also that I support them instead of the Co-op for buying everyday over the counter medicine. That may cost me a few cents more at the vet, but they have both saved me alot more by being available to help when I need it.

I have found that vets are quite loyal, if you support them, they'll gladly return the favour. If more people were on a better foot with their vets I am sure we'll get a lot fewer "I think my calf is sick" questions.

KNERSIE":1yexb9er said:
ALACOWMAN":1yexb9er said:
baxter78":1yexb9er said:
I rarely have to call the vet. If I do it is mainly to get some advice or purchase some banamine or something like that.
the last time i called a vet his answering machine said their would be a charge of 30.00 for any advise over the phone. i slammed the phone down hoping he didnt see me on his caller id ;-)

I am very fortunate that I have two very good vet clinics ithin 45 mins drive. Both vets gladly gives advice over the phone or even answers emails with pics attached. They know I don't call them for BS and also that I support them instead of the Co-op for buying everyday over the counter medicine. That may cost me a few cents more at the vet, but they have both saved me alot more by being available to help when I need it.

I have found that vets are quite loyal, if you support them, they'll gladly return the favour. If more people were on a better foot with their vets I am sure we'll get a lot fewer "I think my calf is sick" questions.
he packed up and moved to a oklahoma horse ranch to make a living..but that's just it.. the commercial cattlemen around here will starve a large animal vet to death. or wait till the cow is too far before they call, and when they can't save it they blame him... small animal practice is the best way most of em can make it. and most hate it.

Not only did I call my vet today I call my vet everyday. I buy almost all my drugs through my vet have to help support the vet don't want the vet to leave. I really hate it when I have to call the vet at night because of a calving problem (knock on wood last two years no calls) I have been known to take my vet out for a meal now and then. Sometimes I even get to sleep with the vet. I was even with the vet when the kids were born. Did I forget to mention I married a vet:)

Jeff

S&S Farms":2dicy9qz said:
Not only did I call my vet today I call my vet everyday. I buy almost all my drugs through my vet have to help support the vet don't want the vet to leave. I really hate it when I have to call the vet at night because of a calving problem (knock on wood last two years no calls) I have been known to take my vet out for a meal now and then. Sometimes I even get to sleep with the vet. I was even with the vet when the kids were born.
  • Did I forget to mention I married a vet:)

Jeff
i was too.....briefly, we did manage to have a goodlooking little toe head boy together .

I am new to cattle (couple years) so I don't know if this will work but so far so good.

We have a couple very good vets in the area having been a dairy region of small farms for a long time. My neighbor recommended a good one he uses.

My planis to have him come out twice a year - December and June. He came out in December. We ran all of the cows and heifers through the corral, chute and headgate. He administered a couple vacinations, booster shots etc, pour on all, did bangs on two heifers, and preg checked all who were supposed to be bred. Gave very good estimates of how far along they were. Remarkable accurate acctually as it turned out. We found two open. He suggested culling them but one is a very nice heifer that I eventually decided to give another chance since I was not sure what sort of bull arrangements the source had. The other open cow was a bit ornery and is now in the freezer.

All of them came to me from other sources so I asked him to do whatever shots he recommended. Visit, services and materials on 11 head came to $230. which I thought was very fair. The thing that helps is not having to have him bring his chute and having animals ready to go (in the corral) when he gets there.

His next visit will be in about three weeks (late June) when the calves are about 90 days old and just before putting a bull in. Then he will vacinate the calves, castrate/cut the four bull calves, pour on as required, rest get a look over and booster shots as he sees fit.

I am hoping that scheduled twice a year vet visits will help eliminate the need to call the vet on holidays etc. This theory is not yet proven. I was very fortunate this spring in that the cows and heifers all calved on their own and so far 7 healthy active calves.

I hope that this preventive medicine approach works. Anyone else here on a regular vet visit program? How does it work out overall economically? I'm sure I could learn what and how to administer vacinations etc but I would rather have an experienced vet take a look at them twice a year plus take care of "scheduled maintenance". This next visit will probably cost $250 - 300 for 17 head or about $17. per head per visit or about $35./year per head. That seems like acceptable maintenance cost compared to what an emergency visit or other problems can cost or loss of an animal. That includes all medications, supplies and travel also.

Then his next visit will be in December when a major item will be preg check. That alone is worth a lot. How much does an open cow cost you to feed for a year?? This winter I WILL cull any open animals. At current hay and feed prices and when I know they were all in with a good bull for enough time any open yearling heifers or cows will immediately go to processing.

Did I call the vet yesterday? Naaaaa, probably should have called him the day before yesterday. :oops: Seems this one knew she was on the top of the cull list and culled herself. With fuel at $4.69/gal this is pretty fine genetics don't ya think!?!

vet.jpg

SRBeef":399stjjs said:
What happened?

Long story but the short of it was she was a chronic bloater. Not sure if this was genetic or caused my overmedication by the breeder. (She had a fine bloodline - probably too fine if you know what I mean.) I treated her with everything I knew but she would bloat on anything other than filler hay. Since I don't believe in passing my problems to others I decided to stop the pamper treatment and let her earn her keep, which she unfortunately could not do.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about your loss - bloater or not each cow represents a fair amount of $$.