how many of you called your vet yesterday?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Seems there's very rarely a holiday that I don't have a problem or emergency that demands veterinary attention. Dogs, horses, cows, you name it. These problems never occur on days when my vet isn't busy -- part of Murphy's Law must say, somewhere, something about vet emergencies having to happen on weekends or holidays. :lol2: Anyone else feel that way?

I didn't call my vet yesterday (decided it could wait a few more hours), but I sure did call first thing this morning. :p

milkmaid":1ymsbixo said:
Seems there's very rarely a holiday that I don't have a problem or emergency that demands veterinary attention. Dogs, horses, cows, you name it. These problems never occur on days when my vet isn't busy -- part of Murphy's Law must say, somewhere, something about vet emergencies having to happen on weekends or holidays. :lol2:
  • >>>Anyone else feel that way?<<<

I didn't call my vet yesterday (decided it could wait a few more hours), but I sure did call first thing this morning. :p
feel that way...it is that way, cant count how many vacations or special events that were delayed on account of em..

i bet its been 5yrs or longer since ive had to call the vet.an that was just to ask a q.bet its been 10yrs since ive had the vet out on a call.an hope i dont have to call him.

bigbull338":82kw0l3z said:
i bet its been 5yrs or longer since ive had to call the vet.an that was just to ask a q.bet its been 10yrs since ive had the vet out on a call.an hope i dont have to call him.

How on earth do you manage that one??? there are so many things I want to know the answer to I can't hardly stay out of his office, even when I don't need any vet work done on my animals. :lol2: :p

I would say it is the rule of thumb , especially around calving season. You can go the whole season without a blip in the road but Sat. at 12:01 pm on a long weekend it will never fail that something "major" happens and all vet offices are closed until Tuesday.

The worst time of year is at Christmas because the closest large animal clinic to me closes for two weeks. They are the only large animal clinic left in the city and I guess they get to do whatever they want. :?

baxter78":2yt5i8nk said:
I rarely have to call the vet. If I do it is mainly to get some advice or purchase some banamine or something like that.
the last time i called a vet his answering machine said their would be a charge of 30.00 for any advise over the phone. i slammed the phone down hoping he didnt see me on his caller id ;-)

Did not call the vet, but had to call the nurse hotline and take my son to the ER :(

Got to coughing and couldnt catch his breath. His Peditrician says its allergies, but the ER doctor is thinking asthma..late night.

I called all the vets around me Satuday all closed and out of town. At least one called back to tell me he couldn't come.

I am always surprised by lack of access some of you have to good vets. We have a lrg animal vet on call 24/7/365. You call and they will come to your farm. Everyone of them is extremely competent. Last week had the vet out to my place ~ heres the run down
Farm Call
Health Exam on 2 calves.
ViraShield Vaccinations on 2
Another Vaccination (don't remember which) on 2
Horns burned off on 1
BS and advice.
Total bill

I never take these guys for granted. They cancel apts to get to a farmer in an emergency and have sent me hand written cards when I have lost something special to me, thanking me for taking good care and caring. They are always willing to teach me and are patient with my animals, considerate and compassionate.

Our main vet clinic with the "main man" whom I trust 100% is two hours away. We have used him and his clinics for a vet with the dairy and continued when we started up here.

If we just started up and went looking for a vet it would be probably hard to get the service that we do. Being good friends with Dr.U we have many conversations about how L.A. practices have changed and that not too many people want to go into it and it is frustrating for them as well because they cannot find help. They pay their dues and then move on to "poodles" or worse just horses where they can price gouge and make their fortune.

Angie I haven't had a vet bill for $40.00 since I bought a half bag of milk replacer. ;-) The special rate we get charged is $120.00 for mileage and the call; but the funny thing is that, the clinic in the city closest to us (20 minute drive to their door or ours)charges $140.00 for a visit and call ,they prefer that you bring the animal to them as well. :roll:

I have found more and more on the board new people asking/begging for help because they can not get a vet to help them .I fear this will get worse before it gets better unless incentives are given to vets to go into L.A. That is why it is so great that you have a vet that is their for you and answers all of your questions and then you can come here and share with everyone who does not have access to that.

That is why I love this board and why I try myself to help if at all possible.

MM ive been picking the vets brains since i was 7yrs old.an ive learned alot from them.we can treat milk fever backwards calves prolapes you name her on the farm.so why would i waste my time having the vet out.most times if a cow is bad enough to have vet out.she is a dead cow sooner or later.

I'm withyou Big Bull. Can't remember the last time I had a vet out. And only take cattle to vet's place to brucellosis vaccinations. May need one tomorrow and if so I'll definitely have him come out but just don't call him everytime a calf sneezes or a cow has droopy ears. Have learned over the years that cows and calves have bad days just like we do and if left alone most times they're fine if I just observe and leave them alone.

milkmaid":2u3og5rg said:
Seems there's very rarely a holiday that I don't have a problem or emergency that demands veterinary attention. Dogs, horses, cows, you name it. These problems never occur on days when my vet isn't busy -- part of Murphy's Law must say, somewhere, something about vet emergencies having to happen on weekends or holidays. :lol2: Anyone else feel that way?

I know what you're talking about MM . I guess it's the same reason the medicine that you're low on always seems to work the best .

All that being said I'm the guy that trys to go to the bank or post office on holidays :oops:

Larry

I understand where you're coming from BB and TB... for me though, sure I can treat plenty of problems, but my questions are more along the lines of "why". It's not enough for me to know what, I want to know why too. I read a vet book or a drug label and it says you cannot do a certain thing; I want to know why not. Or an animal shows up with a problem and I know what's wrong, treat it, and there's no response. Why? Or this calf that was already being treated with high doses of antibiotics for something else, and then she develops joint ill while on antibiotics. Makes no sense. I want to know why (and if we have the same opinion on treatment, LOL). And so my vet gets called. :p I call him plenty of times for an opinion on an animal too; don't always trust myself enough when I'm dealing with expensive critters.

angie":2fakvqrg said:
Last week had the vet out to my place ~ heres the run down
Farm Call
Health Exam on 2 calves.
ViraShield Vaccinations on 2
Another Vaccination (don't remember which) on 2
Horns burned off on 1
BS and advice.
Total bill

Angie, I'm envious. A farm call alone is about $75 around here, before they ever get out of the truck... That bill would have been at least $125 to $150 here.

skyline":p3vpke34 said:
Angie, I'm envious. A farm call alone is about $75 around here, before they ever get out of the truck... That bill would have been at least $125 to $150 here.
Yes, I am spoiled in this. I believe our ER calls are $75 (after hours or holidays), but it has been a few years since I have used so I don't know for sure. BUT ~ they are always there, no one is told "no". Sometimes I will call after hours and explain what I have going on and the vet will say "When I go in on a call, I will call you. I will leave you this and that at the back door in a cooler (like a lunch box). Give them that, and call me during hours if it doesn't work." When I go sometimes is just my stuff in there, sometimes stuff for others as well. Then there is only a med charge.

milkmaid":3rufq69d said:
I understand where you're coming from BB and TB... for me though, sure I can treat plenty of problems, but my questions are more along the lines of "why". It's not enough for me to know what, I want to know why too. I read a vet book or a drug label and it says you cannot do a certain thing; I want to know why not. Or an animal shows up with a problem and I know what's wrong, treat it, and there's no response. Why? Or this calf that was already being treated with high doses of antibiotics for something else, and then she develops joint ill while on antibiotics. Makes no sense. I want to know why (and if we have the same opinion on treatment, LOL). And so my vet gets called. :p I call him plenty of times for an opinion on an animal too; don't always trust myself enough when I'm dealing with expensive critters.

:) When you finish vet school we'll all call you and ask you these questions. Free consultations of course :)

Latest posts