How is your Rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy+

Reaction score
Mine is nice and green but is not getting tall at all. If memory serves me right I think I put out between 35-40 pounds to the acre in four different pastures. Some of the folks around me say theirs is not doing well either. I talked to a couple from other counties and they say not good there either. We have had cooler weather, lots of rain. Just not doing much even for those who fertilized it. I may drop some N on it and see if it helps. Just curious as to other areas.

We're seeing the same thing. Great color, no height. Been colder this year than last or most in recent years, plus we ran dry way into november. haven't pulled any roots, i bet they're smaller than usual.

its slow as christmas but at the right size to fertilize. with all the rain and a little fertilizer it should take off. i know the wheat does.

What rye grass? There aint nothing growing around here. Even the evergreen cedar trees are turning brown. Oats tried to come up but never made it above the dirt. I guess thats what happens when your 10-15 inches below rainfall amounts. Sure hope it rains soon.....

csutton

Reason for no growth is short daylength and low sunlight interception due to sun being low in the sky. Since December 22, days are getting longer, so growth should increase soon.

If you have plenty of moisture, count your blessings. In a large part of Texas and some other states, we are in a severe drought. Longer daylength will not do us much good until we get significant rainfall. Having windriven wild fires almost every day somewhere in the area. Over 100 homes and several lives have been lost. One small town lost 70% of their homes. Hay and pasture extremely short. Todays newspaper reporting very little hay for sale. One hay dealer found some kleingrass hay a couple of county's away. Sold it in a heartbeat for $95 per round bale.

We would sure appreciate everyone's prayers for a good rain & little wind. I'm sure the folks on the left coast who are getting flooded would appreciate our prayers for sunshine in their area.

Regards & best wishes to all.

Brock

Amen on that one Texas PaPaw. We haven't had fires much here, did notice today some smoke wayyy off to the south of here, skeery deal when we are surrounded by national forest.
Our rye grass is up, about 2 inches tall, not real thick in some places, but shore could use some rain on it.

Lilly an Paw,

I can echo your comments :shock: No rain since my cereal rye struggled up to maybe 5 inches. I gave up this week and turned the herd on my 15 acre patch :oops: . Forecast as you know is for more of the same dry weather. I figure it may as well be eaten before a dry freeze finishes it off.

Friend of mine turned his cows out on his winter wheat crop for the same reason two weeks ago. Longer sun application isn't going to do good without rain. I'm not going to waste nitrogen trying to push a bad position.

This too shall pass :roll: Appears we four have covered Central, NE and SE Texas.

Jay

Well I guess I should count my blessings. Mine finally came up, but a little late, and the warmer weather we've had (into the 60's and 70's) has helped it. I fertilized it with nitrogen at 125# per acres yesterday. In another two weeks I should be grazing it. Thank god, that tetraploid ryegrass isn't cheap. With the fertilizer and seed, I spent a little over $800 for about 18 acres.

Mine is coming up in the low areas of the fields but nothing on the hills. The oats we drilled are coming up fair but seem to be thin. I've been waiting on rain in the forecast to fertilize, but I don't see any in the near future.

jersey lilly":ec5f42n4 said:
Holy Cow, n I was complainin about $400 for about 60 acres

The tetraploid is more expensive than the normal varieties by far. I also planted almost 10 lbs per acre more than the recommended rate. They outproduce them and for longer. I can get two hay cuttings in the spring as well as graze during the winter. The seed people recommend either cutting hay or grazing it real hard in the spring because it's so growthy that it can interfere with the summer grass. The ryegrass seed alone was close to $400

Thanks guy's. Looks like we are mostly in the same boat but maybe for different reasons.

I DO hope you guy's out in Texas and mid-west get some rain soon.

We were dry this summer especially the 2nd&3rd cuttings but nothing like all of you are dealing with this winter!We have around 1500 square bales from our 1st cutting to get sold.It sounds like I need to ship some out there.

Mine germinated a few weeks back but isn't growing at all. If it doesn't rain soon it may all die and I will be out of luck come next spring. I'm looking at spreading some dried turkey litter but I'm afraid it may burn it if I apply before we get at least one more rain on it.

All our ryegrass comes up volunteer and this year it just looks like green hair so far. It's only growing a little bit near tree canopy but even that is wilting during midday. The cattle are roaming around clipping what little there is. At least I didn't lose anything on seed.

T-Bone":15tkwd33 said:
I just saw this add in the victoria tx. paper "HAY for sale. Large round bales. $35/bale. Hauling available"
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/classif ... ry.asp?480

In wednesday's Waco paper there was an article about the drought and the shortage of grass & hay. No local hay left for sale. Hay broker found some kleingrass hay a couple of counties away. Sold it for $95 roll in a heartbeat.

If it is still available, I'll bet that $35 hay doesn't last long.

Please pray for rain for those that need it and for sunshine for those who are swamped.

Regards

Brock

Latest posts