How dumb do you like your cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

WAguy

Reaction score
I have two calves about the same age. One is smart and a bit wild. The other is gentle, but quite dumb ("fat, dumb and happy"). I go out to feed everyone, and they all come running except the dumb one - off in the far corner of the field sucking on a gate or something. So I have to go get her. Then when she comes, I separate the calves to feed, and without the smart one leading the way, she wouldn't find the feed tub.

Anyway, sometimes wonder, if gentle means stupid, how gentle do you want to be. I have some turkeys and I understand they've been bred so dumb they don't even know how to breed.

Wondering if cattle get too dumb if they can survive anywhere outside of a pen.

By definition, half the people in the world are below average in intelligence. Cows are no different. The dumb ones are tame because they;re dumb, but a lot of the calm ones are smart.

Turkeys are NOT too dumb to breed; but they have been bred to have such a grotesquely large breast muscles that they can't physically "join"; so AI is the only way that modern broad brested Large White turkeys CAN breed.

It's like any species really.. there are different "types" that do well in different situations, but if you think about it, you wouldn't want all of one "type". The species does best with some of all types.

dun":1dtwyb18 said:
By definition, half the people in the world are below average in intelligence.

this figure seems low to me.

i had three calves out today that were smart enough to get out but too dumb to get back in. they had gone under the fence where there was a bullhole but couldnt figure out where to come back in. so i loosened the fence in three different spots for them to either go thru, over, or under. (they are still out)

The worse runt calf I have the by far is the smartest. It's the only thing that has saved her. She is too fast and too smart to be caught. I'm too old to try to rope her on horse back and she not worth paying a young cowboy or the dog man to catch her.

She will be freezer beef then she get to be 600LB. She won't be able to out run my 30.06.

Brandonm2":gyjqp5b4 said:
Turkeys are NOT too dumb to breed; but they have been bred to have such a grotesquely large breast muscles that they can't physically "join"; so AI is the only way that modern broad brested Large White turkeys CAN breed.

I stand corrected. I have 3 turkeys who are dumb. I had heard modern turkeys can't breed naturally, but made the wrong connection.

Anyway, back to cows. As a teenager, we had a Brown Swiss milk cow a rancher had out on the range and gave us as partial payment for hay. I was a wide receiver on the football team, and she put my speed to the test when it came milking time. I'd finally get around her after a hundred yards or so, then she'd head up and dive into the aspen grove. I'd finally dig her out and head her to the milking shed, which she would run around in circles trying to lose me til finally giving up.

I came to understand why a milk cow had been turned out on the range - she was smart and wild enough to survive.

I hear alot of people knock angus for lacking docility, but if that's often associated with stupidity, maybe you don't always want it. I have read that docility reduces mothering ability.

I had assumed that because she was wilder, I should eat my one calf, and keep the dumber heifer. I'm starting to think smarter is more fun. I have to push the dumb one everywhere - can't herd her.

WAguy":3aqmrh0g said:
Brandonm2":3aqmrh0g said:

I have read that docility reduces mothering ability.

If you believe that, you're the dumb one. A cow/heifer does not need to be on the rampage to be a good mother.

We have a cow that is very intelligent and you can pat her. She is very tame. Being tame does not necessarily mean that they are stupid. She also would kill a predator that went near her calf but I can do whatever I want to it. She has great mothering instincts. We don't have a cow on the place that I can not ear tag the calf out in the field with the mother there and yet a stranger or a dog comes into the herd and they treat them completely different. We also have a herd that is probably calmer than most herds. They are not stupid cows for the most part either.

I won't keep a wild animal, mind you I don't think running around in front of or behind a cow is fun.

My cows are tame, they can be touched / petted, but I did have a stupid one (now someone else does). This old girl was a little on the "slow" side always doing something stupid while the others were not. Culled her and her calf. She was a good mother, but if they do not come when called, they can't live on my farm.

I will take intelligent animals over dumb ones any day. But as has already been said, intelligent doesnt equal wild. In my experience, intelligent can equal cunning, wiley, tricky animals that are stubborn as all hell. They know exactly where to get so you cant get to them. They know I cant turn as quickly when I'm on the bike vs on the horse. If they get out they know I cant chase them back in by myself, but if I walk to the dog kennel they go back in.

They can be a challenge all right, but they are also so much quicker to learn things.

I have no time for idiotic animals that run past an open gate three times before thinking maybe its open so they can go through it. Or animals that forget their way down to the yards, and how to work through the yards.

Part of the reason I like goats so much.

And why I dont work sheep anymore :lol:

Where do ya'll get your "Cow IQ" tests?

I don't know if mine are dumb or not. :shock:

Beefy":2il6xtfu said:
dun":2il6xtfu said:
By definition, half the people in the world are below average in intelligence.

this figure seems low to me.

i had three calves out today that were smart enough to get out but too dumb to get back in. they had gone under the fence where there was a bullhole but couldnt figure out where to come back in. so i loosened the fence in three different spots for them to either go thru, over, or under. (they are still out)

Based on the statistical "Normal Probability Curve" approximately 67% of ?ANYTHING measured will include +/- 1 Standard Deviation of the Mean (average). This leaves about 22.5% way above average and about 22.5% way below average.

Pick any "thing" and collect a minimum of 120 sets of data based on a random sample of linear data (e.g., I.Q. scores, ages, weights, etc.) and the results will fit the curve (with expected variation and standard errors of measurement).

Dumb in dairy cattle is based on these criteria in my opinion: :)

1. Won't lick the calf off at birth. (What's that syndrome?)

2. Doesn't catch on that moving forward with the crowd gate prevents it from running up on her legs.

3. Stands in the entrance to the parlor but refuses to go in, and is like a meatball to load. I'll take one with some energy any day. At least I have something to work with. :p

born2run":160zub05 said:

2. Doesn't catch on that moving forward with the crowd gate prevents it from running up on her legs.

3. Stands in the entrance to the parlor but refuses to go in, and is like a meatball to load. I'll take one with some energy any day. At least I have something to work with. :p

Your number 3 reminds me of one of the dairys I used to test. All of the cows had an ear tag number and knew what their number was. They liked to load the barn with specific cows in a specific pattern, i.e. slow milkers in one string, fast milkers in another, etc. The dairyman would walk to the entrance and call out a number, lets saw 243. He'ld call her name a couple of times and if she didn;t come up he'ld say "243, don;t make me come and get you". 99% of the time 243 would come shuffling up to go in the barn. I doubt if he actually had to go out on the patio once every few days to get a balky cow.

dun":1fd4ome8 said:
born2run":1fd4ome8 said:

Your number 3 reminds me of one of the dairys I used to test. All of the cows had an ear tag number and knew what their number was. They liked to load the barn with specific cows in a specific pattern, i.e. slow milkers in one string, fast milkers in another, etc. The dairyman would walk to the entrance and call out a number, lets saw 243. He'ld call her name a couple of times and if she didn;t come up he'ld say "243, don;t make me come and get you". 99% of the time 243 would come shuffling up to go in the barn. I doubt if he actually had to go out on the patio once every few days to get a balky cow.

What about the sheet heads that always lay in the alley instead of the free stalls or even worse the ones that lay backwards in the free stalls.

Victoria":3jas3sd9 said:
MikeC":3jas3sd9 said:
Where do ya'll get your "Cow IQ" tests?

I don't know if mine are dumb or not. :shock:

For only $49.99 I can send you one! :lol:

Night as well send two.

One for myself..................... ;-)

Latest posts