How do you...

Help Support CattleToday:

Boondocks,
The day I buried my first wife, I pulled into our long, gravel drive and stopped. Looked at the cows on the right hand side, the lightly, snow covered hayfield to the left. The feeling of futility and emptiness was indescribable. What had provided me with so much comfort and enjoyment was absolutely meaningless in that moment. I pondered on it for awhile and realized why. The cattle and farm were shared with my wife. We shared the joy together of owning cattle and had shared the work of building the farm together. In that moment, sitting at the end of the drive, those cattle that had provided so much joy, were now, merely an unpleasant reminder of my new reality. I sold the cattle and that farm in a months time. I moved to Indiana and went back to college for a degree in nursing. Basically, I broke every major recommendation "not to do" while adrift on the ocean of grief. I had to for a number of reasons. Everyone's journey is different.
You can always come back to cattle (I did after 2 years without them) and enjoy them again. I appreciate how pointless it seems in your current moment. One day at a time is the only way to navigate grief. Keep getting up each day, point your face directly into that brutal storm that grief provides, and keep marching forward, directly into it. You will come through it a changed person, but you were never going to be the same person you were before your loss. The only thing i can assure you of is that the intensity of the pain you feel today will eventually relent into a less intense ache over time. It will never leave you. The intense hurt you feel in this moment is directly proportionate to how strongly you loved. Grief is the cost of a love so strong.

Continue to write, journal, express your feelings and emotions. I walked. A LOT! I found relief in music. I found a board for young widow/ers. It helped to journey with fellow travellers. I continue to think of you daily.
Peace and respite.

Christina - sooo sorry for you & your husband's loss.
Most on here know I lost my husband, Ken, 6 years ago. He was my everything. Married 43 years, did everything together. We hunted & fished together. But, the cattle were our life. When he died, the cattle is what got me thru it. I "HAD" to get up & take care of them - day in and day out. Finally decided I could not do it alone and my nephew moved in with me.
But, now, I can tell everyone I am blessed to have had such a great person in my life.
One step at a time. If the cattle don't bring you the joy you need, you may decide to get rid of them. Right now, they are a lot of work - but - work is what you need.

bball said:
Boondocks,
The day I buried my first wife, I pulled into our long, gravel drive and stopped. Looked at the cows on the right hand side, the lightly, snow covered hayfield to the left. The feeling of futility and emptiness was indescribable. What had provided me with so much comfort and enjoyment was absolutely meaningless in that moment. I pondered on it for awhile and realized why. The cattle and farm were shared with my wife. We shared the joy together of owning cattle and had shared the work of building the farm together. In that moment, sitting at the end of the drive, those cattle that had provided so much joy, were now, merely an unpleasant reminder of my new reality. I sold the cattle and that farm in a months time. I moved to Indiana and went back to college for a degree in nursing. Basically, I broke every major recommendation "not to do" while adrift on the ocean of grief. I had to for a number of reasons. Everyone's journey is different.
You can always come back to cattle (I did after 2 years without them) and enjoy them again. I appreciate how pointless it seems in your current moment. One day at a time is the only way to navigate grief. Keep getting up each day, point your face directly into that brutal storm that grief provides, and keep marching forward, directly into it. You will come through it a changed person, but you were never going to be the same person you were before your loss. The only thing i can assure you of is that the intensity of the pain you feel today will eventually relent into a less intense ache over time. It will never leave you. The intense hurt you feel in this moment is directly proportionate to how strongly you loved. Grief is the cost of a love so strong.

Continue to write, journal, express your feelings and emotions. I walked. A LOT! I found relief in music. I found a board for young widow/ers. It helped to journey with fellow travellers. I continue to think of you daily.
Peace and respite.
Thank you bball. You have accurately captured the immensity of the task. The bleak winter landscape as backdrop. It has howled and howled here since the day he died. Epic winds, snowstorms. Freezing rain at 18 degrees. (!)
My trusty old plow truck gave up the ghost in the middle of it all. Its heart seems broken too. My mind keeps thinking there must be a giant rewind button somewhere, so sudden was he gone. I take comfort in hearing that there will come a day when it is bearable.
We have his car here and it gives his dad comfort but it makes my mind think for just a splitsecond that he must be here somewhere. If it helps his dad I will try to let it stay but right now every little thing is raw. Did find out he had a newish girlfriend we had not heard of yet--guess he was keeping it from his nosy old folks

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Christina - sooo sorry for you & your husband's loss.
Most on here know I lost my husband, Ken, 6 years ago. He was my everything. Married 43 years, did everything together. We hunted & fished together. But, the cattle were our life. When he died, the cattle is what got me thru it. I "HAD" to get up & take care of them - day in and day out. Finally decided I could not do it alone and my nephew moved in with me.
But, now, I can tell everyone I am blessed to have had such a great person in my life.
One step at a time. If the cattle don't bring you the joy you need, you may decide to get rid of them. Right now, they are a lot of work - but - work is what you need.
Yes. We are keeping busy. We won't make any fast decisions, but the constant ice last winter and this winter has really got me thinking about the risks we take with our very steep terrain (plowing, feeding cows, haying).
I am sorry for the loss of your husband. I can tell from your posts that your nephew has brought you great joy. I am glad. I have a few nieces and nephews and I hope they will gather 'round us. Most live far away, unfortunately.

Latest posts