how do you place your t-posts for barbed wire

Help Support CattleToday:

moloss

Reaction score
my question is how do you run your t-posts with your barbed wire.....seems some run the t-posts so that they are facing out (the bumpy ridged side towards the outside of the fence....fence is smooth on outside and looks real good)....some have the t-posts facing in (the bumpy ridged side in and fence not smooth and doesn't look as good).....some weave the t-posts (alternating facing in and out)......I've done a small expirement down where my land floods along the river with each of the three ways and the weaved barbed wire has done the best against the flood waters....with that being said I am not an expert and would like to know how y'all do your barbed wire fencing and why? thanks for your time Chris.

I am no expert, but I put the barbed wire on the same side as the cows. A lot better because the pressure is on the post and wire instead of the wire and post clips.

highgrit":3fvkxzf0 said:
I am no expert, but I put the barbed wire on the same side as the cows. A lot better because the pressure is on the post and wire instead of the wire and post clips.

Logical thing to do....If cows are on both sides and I'm putting the fence up the wire goes on my side since I'm the one that will probably have to keep the fence. Exception might be if the neighbor has cattle that tend to crawl thru fences looking for better pasture.

highgrit":25l04qw3 said:

Then I put 5000, volts. I don't like messing with fence. Put a good Pharmak, no pushed on post no sticking their head through the fence etc.

moloss":1iwo0id4 said:
my question is how do you run your t-posts with your barbed wire.....seems some run the t-posts so that they are facing out (the bumpy ridged side towards the outside of the fence....fence is smooth on outside and looks real good)....some have the t-posts facing in (the bumpy ridged side in and fence not smooth and doesn't look as good).....some weave the t-posts (alternating facing in and out)......I've done a small expirement down where my land floods along the river with each of the three ways and the weaved barbed wire has done the best against the flood waters....with that being said I am not an expert and would like to know how y'all do your barbed wire fencing and why? thanks for your time Chris.

On perimeter fences, the steel posts were driven so the bumps faced towards the pasture. The bumps hold the wire in the proper spacing, and prevent them from sliding/working up or down.
I would imagine the weaving is done on interior fences where there are cattle on both sides of the fence because it would help solve the problem of cattle on both sides putting pressure on the wire, and help prevent them from popping the wire off the fence - but that is just a guess. On another note, we never used steel posts with barbed wire except in very rocky ground where it was next to impossible to dig a post hole.

Where I had flood waters I put the wire on the down stream side of a wood post. The debris will pull the staple out rather than pulling the post over. If grass gets short and the cows want to stick their heads through then I use Caustic's solution, electric fence on the inside.

I've had personal experience with this. I used to lease a tract of land that basically doubled my farm size. About 6 or 7 years ago I had a t post barbed wire fence ran along the property line to make paddocks. Fast forward to today and I no longer lease the land. Unfortunately when the fence was built, the t posts were all driven facing out (the nobs/stubs) are not facing my property. This has caused tons of trouble. My cows The few with horns) have learned that on the north fence (this one) that they can put their head between the wires and twist - which pops the clips. Eventually the wire sags down, and they can just walk right through. Caustic's solution would work.

I actually had to go back and put a t post every third post facing "in" so that the wire would not slip down or come out of the clip. This issue has caused me severe grief!!!

Clips I put on don't come loose so easily. Only trouble I have is when a tree falls on it or deer jumps on it which generally results in broken or severely stretched wire. If you're going to put hot wire on it, why even bother with the barbed wire?

tsmaxx47":3t5lh9kv said:
Animal Track Farm":3t5lh9kv said:
I place my wire on the bump side with this side towards the cows. The bumps help hold the wire at the right spacing.

ditto
Should always put the wire on the bump side, that is what it is there for, to hold the spacing. As far as flood waters, place your posts with the bump side toward the rushing water. That way the water pushes the wire against the post, rather than pulling it away from the post and straightening the clips out. We have a LOT of "water gaps" here. I put a brace on each side and then fence across the gap. They get torn down every spring, but it only tears out the gap between the braces without tearing out 2 miles of fence. Takes me a week or so every spring repairing water gaps, rather than months of fence repair. On regular field fencing, if you only own one side of the fence, put the bumps (and wire) on your side. When the cows push on it, they push the wire against the post rather than away from it. I would not recommend weaving the wire between the posts......you will find out why if you ever have major repairs to do (which you will, eventually).

Latest posts