How do you handle the bad ones?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have put some gentle ones in with a bad one loaded the entire bunch, hauled them all to town, sorted off the bad one at the sale barn and brought the good ones back home. Roping and dragging on the trailer works. In a few cases farm slaughter is an option.

Dave":2gf8ii4l said:
I have put some gentle ones in with a bad one loaded the entire bunch, hauled them all to town, sorted off the bad one at the sale barn and brought the good ones back home. Roping and dragging on the trailer works. In a few cases farm slaughter is an option.
I used that latter option a time or 2 myself

How do you handle the bad ones?

I know a guy... ;-)

Seriously, have done all the above - put gentle stuff with them, trap and feed, fence posts, rocks, rope and drag, tie in a pen and turn the keepers back out, and have seen a few get too hot and die (by a crew, not me personally) had to shoot one crazy bull we couldn't keep in a pen to get loaded and who wouldn't stay home and there have been a few more I wanted to shoot, but managed to get them on a trailer eventually.

My parents have had some awful ones over the years. I got just about all that mess hauled off. And down to normal cows mine and theirs. I have done just about everything the ones no way we were going to catch I have shot with dart gun out of tractor, because you could not get in range on foot. We have had to use shotguns for safety a couple times. Horses trucks etc. I have hid in creep feeders near gates. But what has worked best to get outlaws in the catch pen for me. Is the ones that just stand back and watch when the others go in and eat is. Put the feed out close to dark and come back at night sneak right up and close gate. Or catch the calf of said outlaw mother. Had 2 1000 pound bulls that never got weaned that got shot one about 3 miles from home the other in self defense. I cant explain how bad there herd was at one time, just out of hand!

I bought a young bull off a test one year that came in high headed and acted as if he may be mean. Hoped he would calm down with some girlfriends and feed but that wasn't the case. When I finally got him loaded and took him to market they wouldn't even open the gate to let him out the man said " if you wanna sale him you get up there and open that gate". I told him he was just nervous as he tried to climb out of the front of the trailer and hit the gate. It was a lot of long hours waiting him out and feeding inside a trailer to catch him. Needless to say I don't gamble on the crazy ones anymore no matter how well they are bred!

Bought some droughted out SD cows once that turned to be mule deer crosses. They laid up on top of a big hill and would take off if anything got within a quarter mile. We are not a rope and drag outfit, so we "left them" in the pasture after all the other cattle were moved to wintering area. When the snow got deep we trapped the calves with hay and moved them in two gates. Then used the calves to catch the cows.

Turned a few bad stockers out before I knew better. Corn supplement usually got them bunk broke. Only had to shoot one.

dun":ua7s5q2n said:
Dave":ua7s5q2n said:
I used that latter option a time or 2 myself
I had one that had put me out of the pen three times all the time I was working on her attention with an axe handle. I was POed as she had already fought through and tore up a couple of sorting gates. Walked back to the house got the 45 as I had already made up my mind to feed her to the buzzards.

:lol: That's why I don't keep a pistol around when working cattle. I at least want to have that walk back to the house to make sure if I REALLY want the she bych dead.