How do you catch them all?

Help Support CattleToday:

red angus 2010":1tyq9cq1 said:
I am not kidding, we call them and they will come up. Calling suuk suuk suuk they will bawl from the pasture and start moving toward the barn lot. Have to call perhaps five minutes but once the herd starts to move up they come. The old timers did it this way.

"suuk suuk suuk"

That's the call we use.

TennesseeTuxedo":kx9wdns0 said:
red angus 2010":kx9wdns0 said:
I am not kidding, we call them and they will come up. Calling suuk suuk suuk they will bawl from the pasture and start moving toward the barn lot. Have to call perhaps five minutes but once the herd starts to move up they come. The old timers did it this way.

"suuk suuk suuk"

That's the call we use.
you could call them,, come here you worthless hay burners, and theyed come running...creatures of habit,what ever they associate the sound with...I use a Indian chant...and heads perk up

zirlottkim":153rm903 said:
I had a crummy little setup when I first started. It was next to impossible to get them all caught. When I was adding more pasture, my fence builder pleaded with me to set up a lane system with net wire that runs through the entire property. He is a heckuva cow man as well as a fence builder so I took his advice. Every rotation is through the lane. Also, the catch pen is incorporated to the lane so any move and they're caught. Sure made things a lot easier than my original setup.
Exactly.. you did well to listen.

I just spent quality time catching a cow & her calf - and about 20 of their closest friends. As the crow flies they were only about .25 mile from the trail leading to the barn. But cows aren't crows so we took the scenic route. Cubes! And patience. Used one of my orphans as bait to get the others interested but my girls are hand feeders so the main problem was the rest of the herd was headed in the opposite direction. Did I mention perseverance?

We quite often move cattle from one pasture to another. They spent max 2-3weeks in one pasture. They come when we clap with our hands, whistle. Call them like that since weaning, at first having some meal, so they quickly come like dogs in no time. Weanlings get meal twice a day and often have to call them from the other side of the pasture.
We use movable steel pen for catching cattle.
20524193_1972338726370468_1334013963_o.jpg

20536064_1972338823037125_2103394098_o.jpg

20536307_1972338796370461_2012998091_o.jpg

Put heifers and bulls meal trough into the pen, open it and usually keep it for one feeding or two before will need to catch them. Feed them there for at least once. When comes the time when will need to catch them for weighing or separating some for selling I bring meal with a quad like always and they would come into the pen to eat their meal without any problems. Then I would just close them inside and other people would come with tractor and trailer.
DSCF3036.jpg
DSCF3046.jpg

Cows don't get any meal, but weaning or catching for cull not a problem too. First build a pen in a certain place that it would be easier to move them there, like close to their pastures wall. Open it widely, use some hot wire to form a tunnel leading to the pen. One person would start calling cows and me with a quad and dad with his motorcycle would round the whole herd and they would walk into the pen. Usually make a separate small pen for weaned calves or cows for culling.

The two younger groups I raised together. Are broke to horn on my old beater Toyota follow it to end of world. After weaning the where feed from it daily. The bigger group are some what of pain. I do as big foot feed several days but they are smart to it. A few will wait for the truck to leave. So on catch day I have someone go with me I feed them just as usual but wait in barn. Someone drives off in truck bam catch them, been doing for years. Any thing that gives much problem gets hauled off when I catch them. Down to pretty much no idiots. I think about 65 spring calvers and 10 fall. Both about 60 days so calfs are about same age. Work once spring once fall wean and preg check.

I've been plugging away at since I started this thread. I've about caught all of em, that needed caught very bad. Still hadn't caught all of em at once. Even caught a bull calf, and got it cut this afternoon, that had eluded the process, since early spring.

wbvs58":2pgevgmt said:
Spear traps, http://www.arrowfarmquip.com.au/product ... pear-trap/ are used a fair bit on some extensive property's in Australia. They fence about 5 acres around a waterhole and have these going in and going out. With no other water in the paddock all cattle get trained to go through and when they want to muster the paddock just lock up the out and wait a couple of days and all will be caught.

Ken

That is pretty slick.

TennesseeTuxedo":3a7jzbru said:
red angus 2010":3a7jzbru said:

"suuk suuk suuk"

That's the call we use.

We use the bucket rattle. Pour cubes in and you can hear one of them calling to the others while your pouring. She says "cuuuuuuuuubbbbeessss"
Rattle the cubes in the bucket and they come running. We have even used rocks in the bucket when we ran out of cubes. The ones that know they arent leaving will run right in. The ones that think they might be next one gone will hang back and check out the situation.

Craig Miller":2j9v07bd said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2j9v07bd said:
red angus 2010":2j9v07bd said:

"suuk suuk suuk"

That's the call we use.

We use the bucket rattle. Pour cubes in and you can hear one of them calling to the others while your pouring. She says "cuuuuuuuuubbbbeessss"
Rattle the cubes in the bucket and they come running. We have even used rocks in the bucket when we ran out of cubes. The ones that know they arent leaving will run right in. The ones that think they might be next one gone will hang back and check out the situation.

Uncanny isn't it? They do seem to know.

BF I set my pastures up as a funnel. I can push up to 100 hd horseback by myself and they all come in with ease. The pasture next to the pens funnel down to a 50 ft wide lane about 300 yds long. At the end of the lane are my pens. I don't like baiting cattle in, if I need them penned I want to be able to do it then.

Ya, you have to really pay attention to what you are doing. Animals are very aware of their surroundings especially the way you act. Some thing as simple as where you park or wearing certain boots to work cattle can throw them off.

When you go to pen cattle you need to try to keep every thing the same as when you are just feeding them.

Sorted 350 head yesterday. Gather into one small pasture, then bring them in about 70 or 80 at a time to sort down further in pens.

We have many rented pastures so not many working facilities. Have to haul them back to the main barn. We set up portable pens, with panels to divide them, so there are 2 or 3 pens, one leading into another so you can pen the early cows in then open up and get the stragglers in. Will feed in the pen for a few days beforehand and we still have a few that are wary. Mostly anything raised here knows that being called in means feed. The bought ones are the tougher nuts to teach but if they are a problem after a few seasons they will go. Mostly have the person that does the checking go to get them in and then the one driving the trailer bring it up after they are in.

Have one place that the rotational grazing goes through a big open area and so we set up a pen there and then they have to go through the pen to the next pasture. We usually don't have more than 40 cow/calf pairs but still a sizeable group.

Lately have been calling them into the first pen, opening the second pen, letting them in, closing the gate, giving some good hay to keep them quiet when we try to get in the rest into the first pen. Often is a few calves that are the problem, or one cow and she will take a few calves off with her. That cow will then be delegated to a pasture that has a good system to get the cows in and if she has good calves will spend the rest of her life in a place where she can be gotten in more easily. Otherwise, she will leave. We always try to have the pen set up where they have not been able to get to the grass so it is also a temptation to just eat once the grain is gone. We will use 5 gal buckets and always try to have twice what we need with us in case.... but for the most part, one of us can get them all in in a very short time. They just have to get the routine down. And yes, doing it the same time of day, in the same way makes a difference with the wary ones.

Best way is to have them used to coming to you when you call them, bribing with a few pellets occasionally will help with this.

Sometimes leaving a back gate open a few times while you feed in the catch pen helps with the wilder ones. Feed them and back off so the spookier cows will go in then pull up and let them run out the back gate. When your ready to catch them shut the back gate before hand.

Brute 23":1lowqrdj said:
This thread reminds me what I love about replacement heifers. When I turn them out there is no doubt in my mind I can call them any where I need them. They are the first ones usually fighting to get in the pens.
surely your not talking abut then ''ol' mean - wild -fence jumping - people killing Brahmans are you. :lol2:
I think I could take a feed sack and lead my ol Brahman cows a mile down the road if I needed to.

BRYANT":1n2tv53t said:
Brute 23":1n2tv53t said:
This thread reminds me what I love about replacement heifers. When I turn them out there is no doubt in my mind I can call them any where I need them. They are the first ones usually fighting to get in the pens.
surely your not talking abut then ''ol' mean - wild -fence jumping - people killing Brahmans are you. :lol2:
I think I could take a feed sack and lead my ol Brahman cows a mile down the road if I needed to.

I don't have any Brahmans but I'm pretty sure I could lead my Brangus cows in one door of the house and out the other with an empty sack.

Latest posts