How do they look?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid":1nchf6bn said:
Does anyone in the last 2 pages realize there's a timeline here -- original post was what, at least 2 months ago? So why on earth do people keep stepping in and telling him how sorry his cow looks???

Ya, 34 days old. But I just read the thread today, so it was new to me. :D

I thought the calf looked fine for meat. I was more concerned about the pasture, and the cow. (just incase the cow was going to be kept for another calf or two) Not trying to "beat a dead horse" but just offering a friendly suggestion directed toward focusing on pasture management. That's all. :tiphat:

PS thanks for the link "chippie" I've put that in my favorites folder. :clap:

I understand he tried. There is no denying that.

He may always be short of excellence and he may never be as efficient as you can in raising beef. At least he is trying, learning to be disiplined, building character, etc. which in my book is more than half the battle. He may have left a couple of hundred pounds or so on the table but he didn't have to pay outrageous feed or land prices either.

We are just advising him as to how he can improve.

...or were we playing with his emotions having a little entertainment at his expense?

History is such that we must learn from our mistakes.

I am sure he is learning from our mistakes also. I am just not sure whether his knowledge learned is positive.

Hopefully, he/she will take this opportunity to learn a lesson about cattle and what not and in the future will not make the same mistakes and get them a better cow and better calf in the future.

Of course we don't have all the information....how would you feel if you found out he was doing all this in a wheel chair? Maybe he has 17 children and can't afford 40 acres and fertilizer and lime, etc. because he is buying high dollar isomil for his four newborn quadruplets. Get my drift?

HerefordSire":x0xcjj92 said:
I understand he tried. There is no denying that.

He may always be short of excellence and he may never be as efficient as you can in raising beef. At least he is trying, learning to be disiplined, building character, etc. which in my book is more than half the battle. He may have left a couple of hundred pounds or so on the table but he didn't have to pay outrageous feed or land prices either.

We are just advising him as to how he can improve.

...or were we playing with his emotions having a little entertainment at his expense?

History is such that we must learn from our mistakes.

I am sure he is learning from our mistakes also. I am just not sure whether his knowledge learned is positive.

Hopefully, he/she will take this opportunity to learn a lesson about cattle and what not and in the future will not make the same mistakes and get them a better cow and better calf in the future.

Of course we don't have all the information....how would you feel if you found out he was doing all this in a wheel chair? Maybe he has 17 children and can't afford 40 acres and fertilizer and lime, etc. because he is buying high dollar isomil for his four newborn quadruplets. Get my drift?

No we don't have all the details. We don't know about you either Herford except what you've told us and a lot of that sounded like BS. But if he's in that shape he should have never posted the ??? Just sold the cows and bought the isomil for the quads. 17 kids?? Wheelchair...I doubt it. :lol: :lol:

TexasBred":2y8r7t7c said:
No we don't have all the details. We don't know about you either Herford except what you've told us and a lot of that sounded like BS. But if he's in that shape he should have never posted the ??? Just sold the cows and bought the isomil for the quads. 17 kids?? Wheelchair...I doubt it. :lol: :lol:

Let us not write about what others have written in other posts. Lets write about we wrote to this gentleman when he asked simple questions. Did you reply to this gentleman?

Obviously they have not learned anything as they still have the cow that they should have culled nearly 2 months ago.

Sounded to me like he was going to increase her BCS for marketing reasons based on the replies. If he had a limited budget and he didn't want to take $200 for her, then maybe he is in a catch 22 like the most of us. He could spend $200 on her real quick to sell her for a hopeful $400 and probably paid more than $200 for her. He knows he got some hamburger out of her, through a calf, and he knows he can do it again. So he got his freezer full on a limited budget, fed his family for many meals, and still has the cow? Maybe I need to take lessons from him because I spend more that he does to accomplish the same.

HerefordSire":oe75llwl said:
Obviously they have not learned anything as they still have the cow that they should have culled nearly 2 months ago.

Sounded to me like he was going to increase her BCS for marketing reasons based on the replies. If he had a limited budget and he didn't want to take $200 for her, then maybe he is in a catch 22 like the most of us. He could spend $200 on her real quick to sell her for a hopeful $400 and probably paid more than $200 for her. He knows he got some hamburger out of her, through a calf, and he knows he can do it again. So he got his freezer full on a limited budget, fed his family for many meals, and still has the cow? Maybe I need to take lessons from him because I spend more that he does to accomplish the same.

Did I miss something, where did he post his expenses? Are we in the Twilight Zone? Suddenly folks are conjecturing about his income, family, disabilities, you name it. Where did he say that he had a limited budget?

You all don't have to justify his ignorance. Everyone was a beginner at some point, that is a given.

Sounded to me like he was going to increase her BCS for marketing reasons based on the replies. If he had a limited budget and he didn't want to take $200 for her, then maybe he is in a catch 22 like the most of us. He could spend $200 on her real quick to sell her for a hopeful $400 and probably paid more than $200 for her. He knows he got some hamburger out of her, through a calf, and he knows he can do it again. So he got his freezer full on a limited budget, fed his family for many meals, and still has the cow? Maybe I need to take lessons from him because I spend more that he does to accomplish the same.[/quote]

Did I miss something, where did he post his expenses? Are we in the Twilight Zone? Suddenly folks are conjecturing about his income, family, disabilities, you name it. Where did he say that he had a limited budget?

See the highlighted bold text above in this post? See the word "if"? If you notice later on in the same paragraph, I use the same phrase without the word "if" hoping readers remembered the prior "if". The point I am making is he deserves respect, not disrespect, even if he has no disability.

You all don't have to justify his ignorance.

Do you really think he is ignorant chippie?

Everyone was a beginner at some point, that is a given.

What makes you think he is a beginner chippie?

TNMasterBeefProducer":345hi162 said:
Hereford sire your bs runneth over. I will no longer post on this thread as I have to spray it with bs repellent and I am afraid I might run out and not be able to get anymore bs repellent.

What is the matter? Did I disrespect you?

TNMasterBeefProducer":1mqrhezh said:
No you did not disrespect me. I just felt like you was being stupid is all. I didnt want to open my mouth and call you an idiot and get in trouble. So I walked away. Like I am doing now.

I sure am glad you didn't call me an idiot and stupid. LMAO! :mrgreen:

Herefords.US":r0mnagez said:
:cboy: I never dreamed you wore a white hat, HS! :tiphat:

You never knew that? :cboy: :mrgreen: I think I am on the verge of getting ganged up on. You know, interferring with entertainment at the expense of ______________<--(fill in the blank)

WOW Six pages and 1600 some odd views. This has got to be in the top ten of this board!! :D :D :D

Well I must say that no I dont have 17 Kids I stopped at seven with one more due in Jan and thats it 8 is enough!! :D :D No really thats it, my rancher buddy is coming with his burzido clamps. :help: :lol2: Oh wait he screwed up my calf! :lol:

Yes I am a beginner this was my first cow to have a calf. I learned a bunch from this site and I am certainly glad I found it. Again to all that gave me input even constructive critisium I say thanks! :D :D Here is a vitural round on me :drink: :drink: :drink:

My friend from TN and my more recent friend from CO keep it real and thats good! You should try to learn to get over yourselves and dont take yourselves to seriously be honest but not rude or insulting. Yes you can be honest without being rude.

Now as far as the cow goes she was just picked up by a cattle broker who is taking her to the sale barn. Acording to him she will bring .52/lb and he estimates her at about 1200lbs. We changed are plans from butchering her to selling her because we have her calf in the freezer along with some of last years pig and this years pig will be going in a few weeks to a month. We will use the cash from her sale to buy a steer calf to raise. I will post tomorrow with the results of the sale!
:D :D :D :D

ya, a freezer can only hold so many cows and pigs. :banana:

8 kids???? Man you guys need a TV or something. :lol2:

One thing to consider if you are in a position to do so for next time. If you itemize, you can deliver the cow to a meat locker, and then donate the critter to a local food pantry, or rescue mission or other not for profit organization. They will appreciate the meat, and you can take the tax write off. If the cow won't bring anything at the sale barn, it's another way to dispose of a cow you are finnished with.

The cow brought .52/lb at 1250 pounds. So $650 of course out of that comes the various fees for trucking etc etc.

She was a good family cow that in the end produced some great beef (from her calf) for our freezer. Although she was a little thin and maybe a little hungry her last few months here I like to think she was a happy cow during her time hear, at least she acted like it. I also learned alot raising her specifically that a cow nursing a calf for a year is not a good thing and to nurse a calf the cow needs a lot more feed, hay, grass than if she is not nursing.

Now the search for a good BEEF steer calf begins! :D

Good luck with your search. Buy two they need company and you can sell one and eat one when they are finished.

3waycross":30wxyqq1 said:
Good luck with your search. Buy two they need company and you can sell one and eat one when they are finished.

For now, I dont think I have enough grass for two.
:D :D

325abn":1qvxyg9v said:
3waycross":1qvxyg9v said:

Well that's the eternal problem in the cow business. Cattle are cheaper to buy in the fall but harder to feed. Just the opposite in the spring. If you are going to try to finish a couple of calves a year you will for sure have to supplement them with hay and grain. I doubt you can run a minimal input program in NH in the winter. Pencil it out every way you can think of and then make your best informed descision. Your best bet would be to look for a couple crossbred calves from a local and if you want them now try to buy some decent hay as cheap as possible. Figure about 1.5 tons each to get them thru the winter. That should run you 250 to 300 dollars depending on your local market.

325abn":3tweoq7h said:
3waycross":3tweoq7h said:

If you have 7 going on 8 kids, you might want to find more grass. Also, plant a bunch of potatoes, that'll fill 'em up. Meat and potatoes are hard to beat. An ex-paratrooper? What do you do now? How old are you?

No such thing as a "EX" American Paratrooper once a Paratrooper always a Paratrooper! :D Mid 40s, fix medical equipment.

Latest posts