How do they look?

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks to all who gave me input even TN beefmaster. For the record now that I know more than I did a few days ago I too think she is looking kinda crappy right now but not the bull. I think he looks good and will certainly feed my Family great.

Here is a shot of the same cow last year when the calf was born. Comments on how she looked then?

janeandcalfandpiggies078.jpg

325abn":2onym4r5 said:
Here is a shot of the same cow last year when the calf was born. Comments on how she looked then?

She looks better in this last picture, when she had the calf, as opposed to now.

With some more food,de-worming and having that 'calf' weaned I would expect her to pick up a bit.

I agree with dun, she does look like an Ayrshire cross.

Good luck with her, and enjoy your steaks from 'him'.

Katherine

UPDATE!

The stag/bull is in the freezer he dressed out at 615 pounds. The beef is tasty and very, very tender. He hung for 12 days. I dont think thats too too bad for 14 month old.

He by no means walked onto the trailer :D :D

The cow is fattening up nicely now that she is getting fed better, more hay, more grass and more grain and she is not feeding him.

I hope to send her in November.

To put it bluntly, since the cow is half dairy breed, she starved herself to feed her calf. Everything that a good diary animal eats goes into milk for her calf.

We have Jerseys and the ones that are milking are fed 12+ pounds of grain twice daily. Your poor cow did a good job raising your steer. You should thank her. She looks pitiful. Dairy cattle are more angular and have less muscling than a beef breed, however your cow is starved. Look how hollow she is in her flank.

If you are planning on buying calves and raising steers, you will need to improve your pasture and plan on feeding them too.

I hope that you can see the transformation of your cow from when she had the calf until now.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1yqml261 said:
Cow aint worth a crap. steer aint worth a crap. cow is 200-300 pounds to light. I would feed her some hay, supplement her with a little grain. I wouldnt pay 600 dollars for a piece of junk like that. You wanted honest. You said you had thick skin. That is what I really think about her. The steer will eat alright but he aint worth a crap neither.

TMBP is right every word. He is not joking,. That cow would bring $.40 to .............42 around here and not a penny more and she looks like maybe 850 lbs you do the math.

Who knows what the steer will eat like but he needs a whole bunch of grain for at least 60 days.

3waycross":11t7iq0n said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":11t7iq0n said:
Cow aint worth a crap. steer aint worth a crap. cow is 200-300 pounds to light. I would feed her some hay, supplement her with a little grain. I wouldnt pay 600 dollars for a piece of junk like that. You wanted honest. You said you had thick skin. That is what I really think about her. The steer will eat alright but he aint worth a crap neither.

TMBP is right every word. He is not joking,. That cow would bring $.40 to .............42 around here and not a penny more and she looks like maybe 850 lbs you do the math.

Who knows what the steer will eat like but he needs a whole bunch of grain for at least 60 days.

In my post today I said that he is eating great! You think the steers looks bad? I beg to differ. :)

the posts about your pasture have been right on. Kill those weeds, throw down some seed of your choice and get it into better shape.

Who knows what the steer will eat like but he needs a whole bunch of grain for at least 60 days.[/quote]

In my post today I said that he is eating great! You think the steers looks bad? I beg to differ. :)[/quote]

You know pard you have taken us thru your time machine so many times with this pair that it's impossible to even follow the time line any more. You butchered a steer that you tastes great and eats real well, a few weeks ago you had the same STEER breeding his mother if memory serves.

I personally wish you all the luck in the cow business. As far as the cows condition 14 MONTHS after the calf was born, bubba you are definately not doing something right. so learn or don't learn, eat her or sell her, or strap a rocket to her a$$ and send her to the moon I no longer care. Bottom line she is sure not a beef cow. If you are going to be in the beef business sell the darned cow and buy some BEEF cattle. There are a ton of great people here who will help you a lot if you get serious.

In my post today I said that he is eating great! You think the steers looks bad? I beg to differ. :)

I'm glad that he tastes great, but that doesn't have anything to do with the other folks are trying to tell you. He was not finished. He was a steer that did not have the genetics to make a lot of meat. If you look at his picture, you can see his hip bone sticking out and the way his hip looks, he was hatchet butted. Meaning when viewed from the rear he didn't have any width through his hindquarters and stifle. He was lacking in round steaks.

He may have dressed at 600 odds pounds, however that does not mean that you got 600 odd pounds of meat. The dressing weight includes his bones.

3waycross":sf174d0h said:

In my post today I said that he is eating great! You think the steers looks bad? I beg to differ. :)[/quote]

You know pard you have taken us thru your time machine so many times with this pair that it's impossible to even follow the time line any more. You butchered a steer that you tastes great and eats real well, a few weeks ago you had the same STEER breeding his mother if memory serves.

I personally wish you all the luck in the cow business. As far as the cows condition 14 MONTHS after the calf was born, bubba you are definately not doing something right. so learn or don't learn, eat her or sell her, or strap a rocket to her a$$ and send her to the moon I no longer care. Bottom line she is sure not a beef cow. If you are going to be in the beef business sell the darned cow and buy some BEEF cattle. There are a ton of great people here who will help you a lot if you get serious.[/quote]

Easy there killer!!! :D What or who is "pard" ? Names not bubba, on this board its 325abn. :) Why dont you try the rocket experiment on yourself and let us know how it goes? :lol: :lol: I simply differered from your opinion on the steer as do several folks. Its clear you cant handle someone questioning you. Never asked you to care or read any of my post and it would be quite simple for you to skip over any of my future post. Just look for 325abn as the poster and skip over said post.

FYI I am not in the cow business or the beef business just a guy raising some beef for the family. I have learned plenty on this board from several posters specificly about the needs of the cow and how they where certainly not being met. That situation has been rectified and she is gaining now. :D

What's next 20 pictures of your milk cow with the inbred offspring from last years steer that you wore everyone out with. I don't care if you disagree with me or not.

Here is the simple fact. The calf was SORRY and the cow is worse. I meant it when I said I wish you luck cuz you ask questions and when you don't get the answers you want you wait a while and ask different questions, or you rephrase the same question a different way.

So I will attempt to make your day with this answer. That sure is one fine blk and white calf you have there I bet he will eat like a dream. The cow is a real dandy especially for a "red faced hereford" they are a rare breed known for their ability to gain weight under the toughest of conditions. If you can you might want to haver flushed with the semen from her son who I would assume you had collected before he was cut. A herd of Angus cows should make great recips for those embryios. Heck with a little luck you should have one of the finest herds of "Red faced herefords" in New Hampshire in no time at all.

Seriously I didn't mean to hurt your feelings and Pard and Bubba at least in this context were not meant to offend you, or anyone else. Have a nice day, and good luck with your cow.

Your a real peice of work for sure!!

I was not aware that you where apointed the selected spokesman for the rest of us?

TNMasterBeefProducer":27o1g5d1 said:
325abn":27o1g5d1 said:
Your a real peice of work for sure!!

I was not aware that you where apointed the selected spokesman for the rest of us?

Only piece of work on this board is you my friend. You are living in denial. 3 way and I rarely agree on anything but in this case we agreed. That should tell you something right there.

OH it sure does tell me something about you two, you got that correct. :lol: :lol: :wave:

OK Ok I will bite

Tell me please, what exactly am I in denial about?

Whether you like it or not, you are being told the truth. It doesn't matter if you are a big time rancher or person who raises a calf a year for his or her family. I bet that if you weighed the meat you brought home and added up your time and expenses, you are eating some high dollar beef (and I am not referring to the quality).

We have only a few cows and raise our own beef, pork and poultry. At 17 months, your fine steer should have dressed well over 800 lbs. The last beef cross steer that we butchered at 15 months old dressed 878 lbs. We sold half of him to a friend. The last dairy cross steer we butchered, he was hereford x jersey. Our cow crawled the fence and visited our neighbors bull, who wasn't a very good one. We are eating him now. He dressed at 628 lbs at 10 months old. I had him put into hamburger because he was a sorry calf like yours and brought home 475 one pound packages of lean hamburger.

And by the way, what in the heck do you mean by "he is eating great!" Is he still alive or do you mean he tastes good?

You only want to hear the "wow, you did an awesome job / pretty cow" type posts. The posters here are not like that. It still makes me mad when I look at your cow's pictures. You have no business owning livestock if you can't take any better care of it. The way your cow looks, she would be classified as a canner at the auction, and that is the bottom of the barrel. Poor old girl. I hope that someone does buy her who will take care of her.

I believe a couple of you went overboard and are not seeing the real value presented. The real value I see.......is a young polite and courageous American gentleman building self-esteem and working for a living and providing food for his family. He apparantly saved the money to buy an animal. This type of person could end up being a boss to allot of us. While it is apparant he is not a beef professional by raising beef for a living, I can definitely see he is on the high ground and many of us posters are on the low ground. When I write low, I mean real low.

If you can and will go back and read my post. :p

After input from some fine posters on this board I relized that the cow is lacking in the food department. SO I was not and did not denie anything. If you dont concur please post a quote from me saying different and I will stand corrected.

The stag / steer on the otherhand is just fine for what he is. A White Park / Herford / Short Horned Milker cross. The Bull whom he was sired from is a pure White Park, a small statured breed! He was 14 months old not 17 and he dressed at 610. I am well aware of the difference between dressed weight and what one brings home from the butcher! :D :cowboy:

TN Beefmaster: As far as the cow being in such bad shape I would be arrested I just think your full of sh** ! :D :D She is no where near that point and never was. She had a easy body score of 2.5 - 3 thin yes aresstable condition no! ;-) ;-)

I finnally got around to reading this one. Ya, the pasture in the first photo was over grazed a lot. I run a lot more head of cattle on a pasture that size, for about two weeks in a year, then the pasture gets the other 50 weeks of the year to recover. You shouldn't see the grass that short. The tall sprigs... that's stuff the cow doesn't like the taste of, and is of poor nutritional quality.

That poor cow needs (as was mentioned earlier) groceries. I wean calves earler than at yearling age, and that helps the cows to build the pounds back up. As mentioned earler, that calf has sucked much of the fat right out of that poor cow.

I looked at that body condition scoring chart. That was pretty helpful, I rate this cow at about 3 a three. If this cow was in my herd, I would pull her for being that skinny, put her in my "sick" pin, and worm her, and give her some additional feed for a week, and then put her back out with the group. If she doesn't look noticably better in a month, it's "off with her head!".

Does anyone in the last 2 pages realize there's a timeline here -- original post was what, at least 2 months ago? So why on earth do people keep stepping in and telling him how sorry his cow looks???

He's been told once, he learned, figured out what was wrong, been working on remedying the problem -- have you all realized the cow is headed to the freezer now? -- and in the meantime the steer/bull/stag was slaughtered and tastes great. Just because an animal doesn't have the best conformation in the world doesn't mean he's not going to taste good, and if he dresses a bit lighter than expected because conformationally he's not that beefy, is that any surprise? Critter doesn't have to look like a meat wagon to taste good, and I'm told Jerseys are a very good example of that. The calf was in good condition and I didn't see anything to complain about from that aspect. The cow isn't headed to the auction and the pictures of her aren't current anymore. I'd imagine she looks much better now and she'll look even better when she comes back in little white packages.

I think the horse is dead, so how about y'all stop beating on it?

I think what some people are trying to say is you could get more bang for your buck (your input) with a different animal. Whether you can afford one or not is another deal. But if you arent concerned about that then the other information id take from this thread is the state of your pasture. try to work on that a bit and it should help out overall.

Latest posts