How do they look?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have acess to a few wrapped round bails of hayledge (pickeld hay as some call it). Would this be good to help fatten her up or should I look to get some dry hay bails?

Thanks for the input from all!

I have acess to a few wrapped round bails of hayledge (pickeld hay as some call it). Would this be good to help fatten her up or should I look to get some dry hay bails?

I am not sure what type of grass the hay is from.

Thanks for the input from all!

Your cow is emanciated. Anytime you can SEE their spine - they are too thin.
You say she is 5 years old & this is her only calf. She SHOULD have been fat as a pig prior to having this calf - since she never had to work for 4 years.
How old is the "calf"?
Looks like she has enough grass. I would guess she desperately needs deworming.
I find that "newbies" cannot differenciate between normal body condition and starving cattle. They look at their "cow" and just see a "beautiful" animal. You need to learn what a normal body condition looks like. Here is a site you could go to: http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/beef/400-795/photos1-9.html
In a 1-9 Body Condition Score (1 being too thin - 9 too fat) your cow is about a 1-2.
I realize she has some dairy blood in her being part Milking Shorthorn.
By the way, at age 5, she should be weaning off her 4th calf.
You have been supplimenting her with some type of grain, which is good, seeing her condition - BUT - a good beef cow should NEVER need to be supplimented with grain - especially one that hasn't been working for a living. Whatever you do - don't start pouring a lot of grain to her. You can make her sick.

TNMasterBeefProducer":4gkvnlak said:
Cow aint worth a crap. steer aint worth a crap. cow is 200-300 pounds to light. I would feed her some hay, supplement her with a little grain. I wouldnt pay 600 dollars for a piece of junk like that. You wanted honest. You said you had thick skin. That is what I really think about her. The steer will eat alright but he aint worth a crap neither.

:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: Your a funny one for sure!

Other than saying he "aint worth a crap" whats wrong with the Steer / Bull?

Jeanne -- I don't think the cow's a BC 1-2. Maybe a 3.5, but she's not that emaciated. The calf is definitely beef-bred, but the cow isn't. Can't expect her to look like a heavy muscled beef animal. Granted, she is lacking cover over the spine directly behind her shoulders (evidence of being very underweight), and her underline is almost straight, characteristic of a mature animal that's underweight and underfed. She doesn't look real tall; put 150-200lbs on her and she'll look very good for a beef/dairy mix. JMO.

And contrary to the opinion of a certain TN poster... I don't see anything wrong with the bull calf. He'll make some awfully good eating and he has plenty of cover and muscle. It's not like we're talking about an underweight animal or one with a dairy build.

I do think the pasture doesn't have adequate grass. There's plenty of weeds out there, but the good grass is grazed real short.

[
Jeanne - Simme Valley Thanks for that web site its very iformative and quite eye opening. Its clear my Cow is thin and your point about "I find that "newbies" cannot differenciate between normal body condition and starving cattle. They look at their "cow" and just see a "beautiful" animal. You need to learn what a normal body condition looks like." is well taken. Based on that web site I think she is closer to a 3 than a one. Either way I am going to fatten her up. I guess my plan is to keep giveing her the course %16 grain daily (about 8LBS) and get some good hay for her.

You would be $$ ahead if you switch to straight shell corn. She does not need that high a protein. Corn should do a great job putting weight back on her. Just DON'T increase her grain amount quickly. Increase it slowly up to 3% of her body weight.
I was being a bit critical at BCS of 1. But you got the point. :)
BTW - male calf looks good.

Considering the cow currently gets about 8LBs of %16 grain and grass (what little there is) from the pasture.

If I switch to straight shell corn and start giving her hay everyday how much straight shell corn and hay should I let her have to get her back in shape in the quickest time? Might she have any issues if I stop giving her the high protein grain "cold turkey" ?

If I get the wrapped hayledge bails I would just put the bail in with her and she would have free access to eat as much as she likes. Would this be better or worse?

Steer? swaybacked? sloppy sheath?

bwahahahaha. :lol2: :p

You need your eyes checked.

Besides, I can't see what a sloppy sheath -- IF it were even a problem! -- has to do with meat quality. Certainly doesn't make him a piece of crap. :roll:

I'm pretty sure that hayledge (sp?) has an expiration date, so to speak. It's kept wrapped because it'll go bad with exposure to the air. I'm not sure how long it'll take for 2 bovines to eat through a 1000lb+ hay bale, but I suspect the hay ought to be eaten quicker than that.

8lbs of grain daily isn't that much... I'd mix the old and new grain half-and-half for a week, then switch her straight over to the corn. Personally, if you're still trying to sell her for breeding purposes, I wouldn't go over 10lbs/hd/day or you'll break the bank. If you're feeding her out for your own freezer then you can gradually increase the grain until she's at 25-30lbs/day.

You still ought to pull out a pencil and paper to figure out if this is going to be worth it economically. You might be money ahead to just sell her for the $300-400 she'll bring, butcher the steer, and save your new knowledge for the next animal.

Glad a few folk got on here - I had a real close look at the pasture that cow is in - now I own Herfs and I know they will eat almost anything - but the fact is if the grass is cut down to the dirt and there is a lot of tall green stuff standing - that is a starvation pasture - they will only eat what is left standing to stay alive. Try to keep the animals off of it in the future and do some work to bring it back.

A herf - shorthorn (milker or not) will get to be a real nice solid animal - we are crossing about 8 to shorthorn at home this summer - hopefully I get to see those calves before they go to market

Now - when you go to feeding this animal hay - here is a suggestion that you might not like but it will become readily apparent to you how much food this animal requires when you do it.

You throw hay out there in measured amounts until she can't eat any more. That is what she needs today. Tomorrow she will want a little more and the day after she will want a little more.

I bet you she eats at least one full 50 pound square bale a day to start off - and there will be little to no waste as she will eat for 16 hours straight. You can work her up to this if you want - I never bother when I take in an animal in this condition - she will regulate herself good enough because she is not stumbling hungry - yet. If you feed her alfalfa she will schitte through the eye of a needle (protein too high for her system) though, so take her up on grass first

You can go with corn as well if you want - personally I never bother - but I do know it works real well - so choice is yours.

I think you will be real surprized at the amount of hay she goes through at the start - and what she needs to maintain her weight.

In fact I bet you start to beach at the cost of her feed - but that is because she is so run down.

Here is a tip for you on pasture.

Good solid pasture will yield about 300 pounds of grass per inch per acre. If it is a healthy pasture it will do this for a long time and if you take the cows off of it before it gets under 6 inches in height it will come back a lot faster than if you let them eat it down to the ground.

I figure your pasture - weeds put into play - yields less than 35 pounds of grass per acre and it has virtually no recovery capability because the cow is close penned and cannot leave to eat elsewhere.

Get on to the weeds and get some grass seed and fert on it.

Gonna' cost you some bucks - but what you got her on is no where near enough. Our cattle on pasture - no grain - will wean a calf and never be less than the Herf you will see on the web page you went to - scoring 5-6 - we never let them get lower.

They will come out of the winter - on straight hay and living outside in the rain and the snow with only a cedar bush on a hillside for shelter with a score of 6-7 and sometimes better - and sometimes even a bit more than we like for calving - but they do well. But they get all the hay they can stand - the ground is never empty in front of them - never - and that is the difference between you and us. Yours is hungry all the time.

If you have a cow that weighs 1000 pounds and she is doing nothing she needs about 30 pounds of grass to keep her where she is. If she is milking hard and only on grass it can come close to double that. You now know how poor your pasture is and you need to fix it.

Cheap way to go - spray the weeds out with 24D if legal in your world. Put down a suitable pasture mix and about 1-200 pounds of a good quality fertilizer per acre - and stand back. Do this two years in a row - many will say it is over kill and I would agree with them - but it is such a small piece of ground the cost is nothing (to those that know the cost!! ) :D in the grand scheme of things - and it will literally boom. Mow it / clip it / keep it cut with no animals on it for a year.

That ground is tired and needs help - if you are unsure call your county ag folks or a local seed and fert place that you or someone you know trusts. Do not blink and do not gasp when you hear how much it might be to get it into shape - not cheap to many who have never done it - but it improves the overall worth of your property - and it is far from suitable for animals as it stands at this time.

Good luck

Bez+

MM - if you want to pencil this out - I would give her away to a good home tomorrow - and I have done that to the neighbours kids a few times

Or take 150 bucks for her - kick her in the @ss and send her to the great pasture in the sky.

Cheaper in the long run.

Bottom line - do not bring more cows on this place until it can hold them

Bez+

TNMasterBeefProducer":26hc65va said:
Cow aint worth a crap. steer aint worth a crap. cow is 200-300 pounds to light. I would feed her some hay, supplement her with a little grain. I wouldnt pay 600 dollars for a piece of junk like that. You wanted honest. You said you had thick skin. That is what I really think about her. The steer will eat alright but he aint worth a crap neither.

Am I correct in assuming you REALLY don't like them? ;-)

Latest posts