how do I stop a cow from sucking other cows

Help Support CattleToday:

ShuterSunset

Reaction score
I have a first calf heifer that I finally caught sucking on another first calf heifer. It seemed like the second cow's calf was unusually thin but seemed to be other wise healthy and finally I figured out why. What is the best way to "wean" this first calf heifer from sucking other cows? I am kinda suprised that the other cow let her suck, but she was coming in from the back side while the calf was sucking from the side like normal.

They make these halters with spikes on the nose band that when they go to nurse it hurts the cow so she kicks the calf.........thus weaning the calf (I have only seen the halters in calf sizes, but it might fit your 1st calf heifer)

Sale Barn, works every time. Putting the weaner on her might starve the other cows calve, as the first calf heifer is only sucking when the little one is.

haul that sucker to the sale barn.you dont need the headaches.an put her in the kill pen.

Sale barn, freezer or blab. Don't know if that's the correct name but that's all I know them by. It's a piece of metal that attaches to the heifer's nose and has spiles facing out that hangs over her (it's) nose. When the milk steeler attempts to suck the spikes stick the donor cow and she gets very upset!

Earl the theives are sneaky and will slip in and suck when the baby sucks, if you put the weaner on the big heifer and she sneaks in to suck from behind when the baby sucks which one is going to get kicked.

Earl in the feedlot we use a nose ring with ring shank nails wire feed welded onto them. However as some already said that stops all sucking not just her.

ShuterSunset":1tcknkvs said:
What is the best way to "wean" this first calf heifer from sucking other cows?

Load her in a trailer, and take her to the salebarn.

I have not tried it but the only attempt I can think of is to maybe turn the spikey nose hanger the other way round .
Having very sensitive noses, if you could make the spikes or nails jab into the nose of the one sucking when she sucks that might do it .
You would have to make sure that normal grass or hay feeding does not spike her and keep an eye on her condition.

I have not tried it but the only attempt I can think of is to maybe turn the spikey nose hanger the other way round .
Having very sensitive noses, if you could make the spikes or nails jab into the nose of the one sucking when she sucks that might do it .
You would have to make sure that normal grass or hay feeding does not spike her and keep an eye on her condition.

Oh man, this just makes me sick. I was standing there looking out the window at my two show heifers and thought "what the heck... it looks like Peach's head is between Lil's legs"...I kept watching and I'll be darned if she wasn't sucking!!! We've had them over 6 months and this is the first time I've seen her do this. I don't want to take her to the sale barn....since the other heifer isn't producing milk will she stop doing it?

Wisteria Farms":47mzi7ck said:
Oh man, this just makes me sick. I was standing there looking out the window at my two show heifers and thought "what the heck... it looks like Peach's head is between Lil's legs"...I kept watching and I'll be darned if she wasn't sucking!!! We've had them over 6 months and this is the first time I've seen her do this. I don't want to take her to the sale barn....since the other heifer isn't producing milk will she stop doing it?

She won;t stop and it could cause udder problems with the other heifer when she freshens.

Latest posts