How did she do that?

Help Support CattleToday:

gabby":2sba19a4 said:
dieselbeef":2sba19a4 said:
looks like a good candidate for eye cancer to me...eat it

Yep. Pretty little feller but he needs to be ett when he grows up.

All this fancy gene talk is making my head spin.
gabby
that pretty basic stuff right there. theres a whole lot more complicated than this. as far as cancer eye goes on that baby he won't ever live long enough too see it anyway. unless GULP :( someone uses him for a bull

Some of our black dexters have a recessive red gene that pops up when bred to a red bull.....also we have a black with a recessive dun gene that just threw a real nice dun calf....our bull is red but also carries the dun gene, so he brings out either in the cow he mates. kinda the best of both worlds.

bigbull338":3utqr2x1 said:
dun":3utqr2x1 said:
dun":3utqr2x1 said:
the hereford bull she was with carries a real strong red gene factor.that will almost override the black gene.unless the black gene is the stronger of the 2.

Better go back and study genetics 101

dun
ok dun i may not be as smart as you.but i can stump the fire out of you on the black cows having red calves.most all of the cows we run are black hided.well guess what most all of them are throwing red hided calves.now the bulls that have been running on them are both red an blacked hided.so that tells me that the red genes are over riding the black genes more an more.ive talked to hereford breeders that have breed herefords fo 60yrs.an they all say if you get a hereford bull with the dominate red gene he will throw red on his calves.no matter if the black if the dominate gene.

Puttin it politely, somone is full of bull when they claim that a red gene is dominant to a black gene. It takes 2 red genes to make a red animal. Each parent passes one color gene. Black is dominant to red. 2 black genes = black, 2 red genes = red. 1 black gene and 1 red gene = black. Basic genetics 101

dun
well dun once again we all have differant opions.but hey you beleive the genetics books an thats ok.i beleive what i see.an im seeeing the red genes over ride the black.no way that you can explain it.

Is it possible you are confusing Black Cows and Black Bulls as all only possession the Black Gene. With all the crossing and turning other breeds black just because something is black does not mean it is not possessing a Red Gene on both the Cow and Bull.

Maybe your experiance or example given to you is with a Hereford Bull put on a Black cow that is carrying both Genes. Like a F1 Black Baldy would have gotten the Red Gene from the Hereford bull and Black Gene from Angus cow. After this you could get either color. I believe their is percentages figured for which will come more often but basically you will not know what you have till it is born.

VanC is exactly right. Don't confuse cows with horses though(it can be done, really) the red gene in horses is the dominant gene the black in cattle is dominant.

S.R.R.":1e7vpzsf said:
dun":1e7vpzsf said:
The chances of the red "overriding" the black are still 50:50. With a red bull, in this case Hereford, the cow still will pass either a red gene or a black gene. So it's still even chances of either a red calf or a black calf.

dun

Yep you are right on dun, that is the way Jeanne taught it to me some time ago!
Wow, lesson stuck!!! :p
People "think" they KNOW how it works, cause they "seen it with their own eyes" - well they "seen" black cows have red babies out of Hereford bulls - only because the cow is carrying the red gene.
I love it when someone sells a red Simmental and "claims" she's carrying the black gene because she's out of black parents - WRONG. The only thing they can claim if out of two black parents, is that she's NOT carrying the diluter gene. Oops, better keep that gene out of the picture. Can't convince people simple genetics without slipping in ANOTHER GENE (kinda like the SCURR gene with polled cattle) :p :p
Than again, there's that infamous REGISTERED Angus that throws red calves. YUP, happens - but he's not homo black. Like someone above says - that's where the Red Angus breed came from. Some pedigrees in the Angus breed carries the red gene & passes it along. Offspring CANNOT be registered as an Angus - but can be registered in the Red Angus Assn.

Latest posts