How did she do that?

Help Support CattleToday:

gabby

Reaction score
I bought this cow already bred. She was with angus and hereford bulls. This is what I got. Is this normal?
gabby

Hereford_Calf.jpg

VanC":2b893e71 said:
The cow carries the red gene and was bred by the Hereford bull. Red calf with Hereford markings not unusual at all.
since she is an angus hereford cross its not unusal.because she carries the red gene.the hereford bull she was with carries a real strong red gene factor.that will almost override the black gene.unless the black gene is the stronger of the 2.

bigbull338":3lpwmmin said:
the hereford bull she was with carries a real strong red gene factor.that will almost override the black gene.unless the black gene is the stronger of the 2.

Better go back and study genetics 101

dun

The black gene is the dominant gene, thats why she is a black baldie but she carries a red gene(Br). The hereford bull is red(rr) therefore always throws a red gene. The Blk baldie caow could throw either, in this case threw the red(r) sor the calf ended up a red baldie(rr). Got to like them red calves.

Red, black, purple...that's a nice baby! I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Alice

Bred to a red bull she had a 50/50 chance of having a red calf. And any black calf she had from the same breeding would carry a red gene.

dun":3gsco53d said:
bigbull338":3gsco53d said:
the hereford bull she was with carries a real strong red gene factor.that will almost override the black gene.unless the black gene is the stronger of the 2.

dun

I agree. The red gene will NEVER override the black gene.

VanC":3tgq3fcz said:
dun":3tgq3fcz said:
bigbull338":3tgq3fcz said:

dun

I agree. The red gene will NEVER override the black gene.

A couple of years ago SGF had an article about a guy whose Horned Hereford bulls were so prepotent that when bred to Angus cows the calves were red and had horns. That's when I decided that SGF wasn't my cup of tea.

dun

dun":3h0mbb0b said:
A couple of years ago SGF had an article about a guy whose Horned Hereford bulls were so prepotent that when bred to Angus cows the calves were red and had horns. That's when I decided that SGF wasn't my cup of tea.

dun

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's SGF?

I have a bred heifer that is out of a black baldy (PH x AN) and a Polled Hereford bull that is marked exactly like a Hereford. Dang nice heifer too.

IF that calf is a heifer, she'll make a bunch of nice black baldy calves for you.

dun":1bzxlnty said:
bigbull338":1bzxlnty said:

dun
ok dun i may not be as smart as you.but i can stump the fire out of you on the black cows having red calves.most all of the cows we run are black hided.well guess what most all of them are throwing red hided calves.now the bulls that have been running on them are both red an blacked hided.so that tells me that the red genes are over riding the black genes more an more.ive talked to hereford breeders that have breed herefords fo 60yrs.an they all say if you get a hereford bull with the dominate red gene he will throw red on his calves.no matter if the black if the dominate gene.

bigbull338":3dqgmp6u said:
since she is an angus hereford cross its not unusal.because she carries the red gene.the hereford bull she was with carries a real strong red gene factor.that will almost override the black gene.unless the black gene is the stronger of the 2.
So which was the strongest red gene; the Hereford bull she was with or her own red gene :?:

Excellent point L4A.

We have 1 Red Angus cow in our herd. We run Angus bulls, last year, we had one BWF cow have a RWF calf, another BWF had a red calf, and the red cow had a black calf. Go figure?

bigbull338":1ueku8c7 said:
dun":1ueku8c7 said:
bigbull338":1ueku8c7 said:

dun
ok dun i may not be as smart as you.but i can stump the fire out of you on the black cows having red calves.most all of the cows we run are black hided.well guess what most all of them are throwing red hided calves.now the bulls that have been running on them are both red an blacked hided.so that tells me that the red genes are over riding the black genes more an more.ive talked to hereford breeders that have breed herefords fo 60yrs.an they all say if you get a hereford bull with the dominate red gene he will throw red on his calves.no matter if the black if the dominate gene.

Puttin it politely, somone is full of bull when they claim that a red gene is dominant to a black gene. It takes 2 red genes to make a red animal. Each parent passes one color gene. Black is dominant to red. 2 black genes = black, 2 red genes = red. 1 black gene and 1 red gene = black. Basic genetics 101

dun

Dun has it right, one advantage to me is red - red breeds always breeds true but if you want to market different calves breed a heterozygus black bull and market all black calves.

Sage":1hjuz0zm said:
Dun has it right, one advantage to me is red - red breeds always breeds true but if you want to market different calves breed a heterozygus black bull and market all black calves.

Heterozygous 1 red 1 black, homozygous 2 of the same color genes.

dun

Latest posts