how big should they be

Help Support CattleToday:

Billdevaul

Reaction score
i have 2 calves both about 6 months old, 1 is a angus cross the other a beefmaster cross the beefmaster is a heffer and the black one a bull calf, my question is what should they weigh at 6 months and how big should they be? as i have nothing to compare to...

heres there pics

Boo_2_growing_fast6-13-061.JPG

Red_and_Boo.JPG

i started them on the bottle then sweet feed at about 1 1/2 months then started mixing it with creep feed until they got to eating good then at about three months stoped the bottle and went to just creep feed and pasture with some alfalfa available... there still getting creep feed 12% and have a lot of bahaia pasture, got clean water and mineral block available... sound right? im new ta this so any suggestions are welcome

i think ill get one of them tapes and see what i can figure out but i better wait till my head gate is installed...lol

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3nvn8aa2 said:
Yeah that might be a good idea. Even if these calves are pettable they can still hurt you if you pen em.

hmmm... 450 #

For a bottle calf...there can be a wide range of how well they'll gain. Obviously, of course, depends on how they've been fed. Can run from .5lbs/day to 2.5lbs/day, keeping in mind that after a calf passes 500lbs or so it doesn't make much difference if he was raised on a bottle or on a cow. So anywhere from .5 to 2.5 ADG in the 500lb and less class, IMO. My 300-400lb holstein group is running about 2.2lbs/day.

With the potbelly on the black one I'd guess yours are doing closer to 1.8lbs/day, which at 180 days would put him around 400lbs. That's what I'd think looking at the picture, too.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2nfirztn said:
Heck maybe less if you read the post I said its hard to eyeball how much they weigh looking at pics. Heck they could weigh less or more.

I wouldn't say more.

ok im feeling really dumb right now...

these 2 are 4 1/2 months old.. ( i have a memory prob)

got em 2nd week of march...and they were only a few days old.. so now how do they look...lol sorry...

4 1/2 months = 135 days x 1.8 = 243lbs of gain

x 2lbs/day = 270lbs

+ initial BW of 70-80lbs? = anywhere from 313lbs to 350lbs in weight. I really can't see them being any heavier than 350, and with that potbelly I'm pretty sure you haven't had an ADG of any more than 2lbs/day. That help?

I sure apreciate all of the help i get here it has made a significant difference in how i do things for the better.. so thank you all...

i feel really dumb forgetting the dates i got em like that i had to pull up the paperwork.. i got poisoned a few years back and it really messed up my short term memory.. it aint all bad though , i have three dvd movies and every time i see one its a new release...lol

Billdevaul":3hts6xbw said:
.. i got poisoned a few years back and it really messed up my short term memory..

I hate that for you. Wish things where different.

apreciate that.. i just deal with what i got and do what i can,

sure gets people around me a lil frustrated though..

i really am enjoying raising these animals i raised horses for years but this is a lot different.. but im starting to get the hang of it...

Billdevaul":18hncfoz said:
apreciate that.. i just deal with what i got and do what i can,

sure gets people around me a lil frustrated though..

i really am enjoying raising these animals i raised horses for years but this is a lot different.. but im starting to get the hang of it...

Good luck ... hollar at me anytime.

Billdevaul":2ixvngtt said:
i have three dvd movies and every time i see one its a new release...lol
Glad you got your answer. And I really like your sense of humor. :lol:

Latest posts