Dang they are tough!

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
Tried to put out some hay bale windbreaks and rolled out a bit of hay for the cows yesterday. As I was doing this, this little guy was born. Checked on him this morning and he's up and about! Tough little feller.

Attachments

• 00961F71-6807-4BC1-8444-33A1EA032E9F.jpeg
    00961F71-6807-4BC1-8444-33A1EA032E9F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • F06164CE-2ABE-4E9F-BBE0-5487BB6DD6B8.jpeg
    F06164CE-2ABE-4E9F-BBE0-5487BB6DD6B8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
BRRRRRR.... We went from 35 at midnight down to 16 here at noon... wind gusting really hard... ice everywhere on the ground like jewels glittering in the sun. Ground is crunchy and yesterday it was soggy. Lots of branches down and more to come today I think as the winds keep gusting. Can not believe that you got down to 2 all the way south in Alabama...
We have some late calvings coming too... hope they hold off for a day or 2 now...

BRRRRRR.... We went from 35 at midnight down to 16 here at noon... wind gusting really hard... ice everywhere on the ground like jewels glittering in the sun. Ground is crunchy and yesterday it was soggy. Lots of branches down and more to come today I think as the winds keep gusting. Can not believe that you got down to 2 all the way south in Alabama...
We have some late calvings coming too... hope they hold off for a day or 2 now...
35 in Destin Fl..this one went way down below us..plumbers are gonna be busy here when things warm back up..

35 in Destin Fl..this one went way down below us..
Just talked to a buddy he's on new baby number 3 for the day, got 2 cows to A.I. and something in his wellhouse froze so no water. Its zero here with forty mph wind.
Those babies get dry and out of the wind it's amazing what they can tolerate.
It amazing what the can tolerate when the ain't

Ha!
Spoke too soon.
My bought cow (8months bred 3 months ago) had hers. I'm guessing yesterday or day before. She looked empty last night. Came to check tonight and here we are!
Strapping lil black bull calf!
20221223_171902.jpg
Crummy pic but size comparison to the older calves. September/October born
20221223_171819.jpg
And here's Sally's from a couple days ago. She's a big gurl!!
20221223_171927.jpg
All that worrying for nothing!

We saw a felt temperature of -3 here last night.

Ha!
Spoke too soon.
My bought cow (8months bred 3 months ago) had hers. I'm guessing yesterday or day before. She looked empty last night. Came to check tonight and here we are!
View attachment 24107
View attachment 24108
And here's Sally's from a couple days ago. She's a big girl
Looking good... and nice new calf on the bought cow... How is the cow looking?

Got down in negative temps here in NE Oklahoma. Wind chills -20 to -30. I carried mail on foot all day. Can't imagine being a cow out in it, at least I could warm up in the truck. My calving isn't for 60 more days so im glad for that right now, although Feb isn't know for friendly temps either. Tractor tried to gel up, but got it fixed. Central HVAC system bombed out. Fixed that too.

Ha!
Spoke too soon.
View attachment 24107
View attachment 24108
And here's Sally's from a couple days ago. She's a big gurl!!
View attachment 24109
All that worrying for nothing!
I guess they have been surviving without us for centuries. Congrats! Great looking calves.

We confine there movement which can be good or bad. Sometimes they will shelter in places we would not choose. Sometimes pond dams can be a deadly shelter.

Looking good... and nice new calf on the bought cow... How is the cow looking?
The cows really don't seem to care how cold it is.
This one's mama is a pretty ok cow. They called her 7 years old. Nothing terrible special. She's got less udder than most of my gurls. Kind of looked like a 7 year old heifer when I got her. We will see how she does. She's had a messy behind for a month or two now. Ain't figured that out.
Doing a good job. Cold or not!
20221223_173557.jpg20221223_173023.jpg

Yeah but a lot don't realize that…if you're cold, their cold..bring them in the house thinking ..they are built for it..I'd rather keep a fire stoked in their internal furnace..
We have been feeding in the evening to keep some heat in em overnight!
Seems to be doing ok

Latest posts