How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes…and there are 3 of those in the accuweather 10 day forecast…"blazing sun & hot"…this is gettin' rough
This is what AccuWeather says for today through Monday: Very hot and less humid with sizzling sunshine; start of a prolonged and extreme heat wave. High 109
And Tuesday: Blazing sunshine and very hot; danger of dehydration and heatstroke if outside for extended periods of time. High 106

So, evidently the difference between sizzling and blazing is 3 degrees.

I hate to even mention our weather. So sorry for all the scorching weather you guys/gals are having. It looks like we finally are going to get a break in the rain. Dumped 1" again yesterday morning and another 1/4" this morning - but - supposedly - we have 6 days of no rain coming, so hay is going down. It's sure past prime. Clover is starting to make seed. Well, it will be a way of reseeding lots of pastures/winter lots.
too much rain - no rain - sure screws up a farm.

Our only real chance for a reprieve is if one or all of the tropical systems moves this heat dome out for a few days. I don't see it happening this far into Central Tx.

10 day Forecast for my area is the same as it has been for well over a month. That cloudless sky with the sun bearing down is brutal once the temp gets over 101 degrees. My sister visited from E Tex last week and asked me if I had turned Mexican, as I'm darker than I've ever been and I now live in suburbia. Can't imagine hauling square bales in this kind of heat like I did as a teenager. Even the US Army troops across the way on Ft Hood have curtailed their training significantly in these hot days.

1st world problems... My water bill keeping the pool filled is almost as high as my electric bill cooling the house. On a 35'x16' pool, I am adding about 3" every other day due to evaporation.

The projected wind change coming out of the E and NE later next week is a result of the tropical activity. It may or may not happen...

Sat 19
106°/77°
1%
SE 10 mph

Sun 20
Mostly Sunny
107°/77°
2%
E 10 mph

Mon 21
Sunny
106°/78°
0%
ENE 13 mph

Tue 22
PM Showers (YAY!!!)
99°/75°
31%
E 13 mph

Wed 23
Partly Cloudy
100°/76°
5%
E 10 mph

Thu 24
Mostly Sunny
104°/77°
12%
NE 7 mph

Fri 25
Mostly Sunny
105°/79°
4%
NE 6 mph

Sat 26
Mostly Sunny
105°/78°
3%
N 8 mph

Sun 27
Mostly Sunny
105°/77°
7%
NNE 8 mph

Mon 28
Mostly Sunny
102°/75°
11%
NE 8 mph

Tue 29
Mostly Sunny
103°/74°
3%
NE 8 mph

Wed 30
Mostly Sunny
103°/74°
5%
ENE 8 mph

Thu 31
Mostly Sunny
102°/75°
8%
SSE 9 mph

Fri 01
Mostly Sunny
102°/75°
10%
S 9 mph

Sat 02
Mostly Sunny
101°/75
18%
S 8 mph

Any talk of tropical storm will probably end with 35-40 mph 100+ degree northeast wind.

Back in 2011 we would get a shower around day 35-45 after the last rain. Today we are at day 70. At least it's a day closer....

I'm able to irrigate one 60 acre pasture, right now it is knee deep in grass. I'm thinking of bailing hay on about 20 acres of it. has anyone bailed hay on a pasture with cattle on it, can you think of any pitfalls. I'll cut it kinda high and fertilize it then add some artificial rain. Plenty of time to regrow before fall

Been getting down into the 40s at night. Furnace has been running in the house...
Is that normal for August up there??

@TCRanch I started at first light this morning. By 11 it was blazing!
The amount of sweat just patching some fence up on a lease place was ridiculous!!
Got it all wrapped up by 1130 and headed to the sale and some air conditioning. Calves are still high. Grass is drying up a bit. Still cutting hay. It's 10pm now and just eating supper. 😆
I do not want any more summer time thank you very much!

Did ya'll manage to get enough hay put up for this winter?
We have been shipping a LOT up to Kansas.

Last edited:

The amount of sweat just patching some fence up on a lease place was ridiculous!!
Got it all wrapped up by 1130 and headed to the sale and some air conditioning. Calves are still high. Grass is drying up a bit. Still cutting hay. It's 10pm now and just eating supper. 😆

OK now.... Note: revisit next February. 😄

They revised the forecast and it's supposed to be in the 100's through Saturday. Today & tomorrow 109 with heat index 112. Any grass that wasn't cut/baled is going to burn up, especially with no chance of rain. We did go ahead and have the west 80 baled. Just native prairie but beggars can't be choosers. Should get us through the winter, assuming we don't have to start putting out bales in freakin' September like we did last year.

40s at night is cooler than normal for this time of year, not unheard of but not typical.

Warmest temp in our 10 day forecast is 75 and the coolest is 64, nighttime lows running in the 50s.

We have been getting some small shots of rain scattered about but our grass hasn't really responded. Things are still crispy and brown. I don't think the thick Canadian wildfire smoke is helping at all.

7 hours clearing brush with a chainsaw yesterday...got up to about 105 degrees...not a drop of rain in sight...at least another week of 100+...sigh...weather.com says chance of rain in the 20% range on the 25th through the 28th...not confident...42% chance on Sept. 3...we'll see...south Texas should be getting some rain today unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's going to make it up here...sigh again

Latest posts