Horned Cattle Update (Nothing here for you he-man cattle guys)

Help Support CattleToday:

MO-Ruminants

Reaction score
It is time to revive the discussion on beef bulls crossed over Longhorn and Corriente cows.

There were a few posters operating this way...can you provide any updates on how things are going?

I believe low purchase price and low cost to run a cow were some of the touted benefits.

And now, just for the sake of getting it out of the way, "Longhorns and Corriente are hatchet-reared, scrubby, worthless junk".

Longhorns and Corriente are hatchet-reared, scrubby, worthless junk".

All I got that qualifies I think.
I'll try and get a pic of her calf tmrw morning when I feed the heifer. He always comes up too here lately.
Gonna sell him in April sometime. I'll try and get a price on here when he sells. He doesnt look terrible, but hes got his mamas arse for sure. She was bred to good chi influenced bull.

Well. He was right on time this morning.
Idk why hes the only one that comes up with my bottle calf but here he is. I call him skinny boy. He definitely takes after mama. Noassatall. The others bred to this bulls sire look much better.

There! The ice is broken...

I think most with any experience with it, have faded away. I've had a sprinkilig of them over the years. Had some super nice corriente heifers we roped all summer. Had to talk myself out of turning them out with the cows to be bred. Sometimes wish I had, because these were exceptional (compared to others of the same breeding). Decided my losses were great enough by just selling them at the yard. For me, when you really put the pencil to it, it doesn't pencil out. Smaller calf even if you disguise the corriente. Then your gonna have some you can't cover it up. When you factor all that together, I'd rather run a cow I have a better chance of making a dollar on. Not bashing them that do. I know they are efficient. I know they breed back good. I know a good one can wean a big calf. Problem is the problem ones. When they them loud colred calves, or wean a 350 pound calf the gig is up. Todays prices, just can't support that. As I type, I wish I had those heifers back though. They were nice.

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but I see a ton of corriente and LH and corriente LH crosses in a years time. These are the top of the mark compared to what I see.

My wife has an old long horn cow in our bunch. Raises a nice big calf every year. Last years calf was sold back in the fall. Heifer, chromed up like the on in Bigfoots post but no horns, 650# brought $0.50.

OleScout said:
My wife has an old long horn cow in our bunch. Raises a nice big calf every year. Last years calf was sold back in the fall. Heifer, chromed up like the on in Bigfoots post but no horns, 650# brought $0.50.

And that's the issue with them. Compare that .50 to 1.30. A whole herd covered by a charlois, and you "might" dodge the bullet on the majority.

We used Corriente and half Corriente bulls on heifers for several years. Most were solid black and sold good especially the 1/4 calves. We had a couple with extra white we fed out. The last one weighed 1,380 lbs at 14 months and wasn't finished by feedlot standards. He would've of weighed close to 1,500 if he had been finished. Fed very efficiently on a limited diet. We kept a few of the heifers. They are mostly in the 1,250 lb range. They raise nice calves. Our big, muscular cows added frame and muscle.

Have to pick the right bull for the right frame of cow is all. Solid cows help a bunch.

Bull calf 1/2 angus at 8 months the horned one is F1 LH x Corriente at 16 months weighing 775

Heifer calf the smallest 7 months old at 416

southalberta said:
Nesikep said:
More shorthorn than longhorn.. Hestia had a calf last night

Nice looking calf. What was she bred to?

She was bred to a 3/4 brother, my last bull Hector.. Gelbvieh/Shorthorn. The calves are a bit on the big side, but I really like how they look, my yearlings from the same bull are doing well too

We've got a few longhorns, corrientes, and crosses in our herd so I'll post what pictures I've got.

A few years ago a group of registered longhorns came through the sale barn. They said they were bred to charolais bulls, but the horns were to big to fit through the chute so they weren't pregged. We ended up with three. This is the first one. She ended up being open.

This is her first Heifer she had for us. She is pretty thick, but I don't have any pictures of her full body. She had her first calf a couple weeks ago, a nice bull calf with a lot of chrome. Both the calf and Heifer were out of simangus bulls.

This was her calf last year, I don't have any recent pictures, but he is nothing special. I'm thinking he is out of the neighbor's red angus bull. Hopefully this years calf will be better

This is the second cow

This was her steer calf from last year. Again I think he is from the neighbors red angus and also is not a showstopper. She had a black calf the year before that was a little better, but I don't have pictures of him.

This is the Heifer she had the first year, clearly not a charolais. I'm not sure what she came out of, but she doesn't have a whole lot of muscle. She had a solid black heifer calf last that was born really small, but was beefy but always on the smaller side of the calf crop.

This is that heifers calf from this year at a couple days old. It is another Heifer.

These two corriente cows were bought for dirt cheap so they made money the first year we had them. Their calves have been pretty decent. Some years you wouldn't notice the corriente unless you knew it was there, and others it is pretty obvious.

I don't have any first hand experience, but years ago before pelvic measuring and low birth Epds. Some guys around here would use longhorn bulls on hfrs.
I guess my question is how do longhorns and Corriente cows do having calves sired by heavy beef bulls?