Horned Cattle Update (Nothing here for you he-man cattle guys)

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015 said:
I don't have no first hand experience, but years ago before pelvic measuring and low birth Epds. Some guys around here would use longhorn bulls on hfrs.
I guess my question is how do longhorns and Corriente cows do having calves aired by heavy beef bulls?

We haven't had any issues with them calving out the beef calves. They still often have small calves anyways. Even the half bloods seem to have smaller calves than usual as well.

The only problem we have had was the third longhorn from the sale barn that I didn't mention. Her calf came out backwards and she died because she couldn't push it out.

RockinRB said:
SBMF 2015 said:
I don't have any first hand experience, but years ago before pelvic measuring and low birth Epds. Some guys around here would use longhorn bulls on hfrs.
I guess my question is how do longhorns and Corriente cows do having calves sired by heavy beef bulls?

We haven't had any issues with them calving out the beef calves. They still often have small calves anyways. Even the half bloods seem to have smaller calves than usual as well.

The only problem we have had was the third longhorn from the sale barn that I didn't mention. Her calf came out backwards and she died because she couldn't push it out.

Thanks for the reply. I've toyed with the idea of having a couple just for conversation, but didn't know how it would work.