Hoof rot/. LA200 Question.

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to the board. A little about me. I use to raise and show dairy heifers in 4-H, plus beef cattle, and was running 100 head 8-10 years ago. Also use to work at a dairy. Mostly in the calf and maternity barns. Then got married, had kids, sold out, moved. Just started to build my cattle herd back up.
Now to the topic at hand! We just purchased two dairy cull cows for nurse cows. On has foot rot pretty bad, and is very lame. The other has a mild case. I was able to clean out between the toes/claws of the lame one, and get some iodine squirted in between the toes and on the heel bulbs to get by for today.
When working at the dairy they had a nice flip table to do all hoof issues with, and I remember seeing them treat it, but I dont have those nice facilites, lol.
My questions: I have some La200 and was thinking about hitting the cows with it, but it has a 96 hour milks withdraw, it says do not use for food. Now is that for the calves too, or only a human consumption withdraw? Or any other antibiotic ideas that will still be safe for the calves to nurse?

Also, I have some horse hoof boots. Can I do some type of a soak or pultice to help out?

I am working with these girls on halter breaking, and picking up their feet like my old show heifers, they are doing really good.
Thank you everyone!

My prefered antibiotic for footrot is Draxxine or Excenel. Not sure what the withdrawl is for Draxxine but it's zero for Excenel. The withholding time is for human consumption.

OK thanks. I dont have any Exenel. I am waiting on a call back form my vet. I have La200, Pinicillin, Naxel, and a variety of horse stuff. SMZs, Tucaprim, ect.

smilincowranch":2delih3f said:
OK thanks. I dont have any Exenel. I am waiting on a call back form my vet. I have La200, Pinicillin, Naxel, and a variety of horse stuff. SMZs, Tucaprim, ect.
Check the lable of Naxcel. It's pretty much the same.similar to Excenel

No worries regolith. They will not be steaks for about another 1 1/2 to 2 years.

Ok, thanks Dun I will do that.

I got them to pick up thier feet good today, tomorrow I will get the hoof cleaned out good, and treated.

B&M One of the cows I am treating does have hoof rot really bad. I got some generic LA 300 for her. My vet is ordering me a bottle of Exenel for the other cow. Plus some other stuff I want to have on hand in case I need it.

smilincowranch":2i5m4im9 said:
B&M One of the cows I am treating does have hoof rot really bad. I got some generic LA 300 for her. My vet is ordering me a bottle of Exenel for the other cow. Plus some other stuff I want to have on hand in case I need it.
Micotil works just as well on footrot as excenel and is cheaper

Haven't seen any side-by-side comparisons regarding using the various antimicrobials touted in this thread, as to their efficacy in treating footrot, so who know what's really better/best?
I always had good results treating with an appropriate dosage of LA-200 and sustained-release sulfa boluses - along with cleaning and treating the foot and getting 'em out of the sloppy, muddy conditions.

Smilincow,

Put some copper sulphate in the water. It will clear up your foot rot problems. Then, get them on a mineral program with copper in it.

RPGalloway":9xgcgfqw said:
Smilincow,

Put some copper sulphate in the water. It will clear up your foot rot problems. Then, get them on a mineral program with copper in it.

You'll get more benefit from that mix if you put it in a footbath and walk them thru it everyday.

Latest posts