Home made mineral feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

feeder21.jpg

I don't have a picture but it would be just like duns. they have worked good for years the only thing i don't like is that they spin when they are trying to eat but thats not to big of deal.

Made some just like Dun's 25 years ago, and some are still hanging today. The chains are a bit rusty and embedded in the tree limbs. Used white colored barrels that came from an ice cream plant.

denvermartinfarms":3pir7x8q said:
I don't have a picture but it would be just like duns. they have worked good for years the only thing i don't like is that they spin when they are trying to eat but thats not to big of deal.
That spinning is part of why they work so well. The wind will usually turn the opening away from the rain so the mineral stays dry(er)

dun":1itfaft0 said:
denvermartinfarms":1itfaft0 said:
That spinning is part of why they work so well. The wind will usually turn the opening away from the rain so the mineral stays dry(er)
I'm glad you said that i had never thought of it working like that. as long as i have looked at and used mine i should noticed how it works.

We do something very similar, except instead of hanging them, we put them inside a semi tire with half inch bolts..works very well. Bull proof and virtually indestructible.

HDRider":10qkvolz said:
jedstivers":10qkvolz said:
nobull82":10qkvolz said:
Mineral feeders are expensive. I'm gonna try this before I buy another feeder.
We don't buy mineral at all. There's way to many things that can be used.
What do you do?
Barrels, 270 gallon totes. I haven't done the other ideas but a tire with a flap sounds good and there was some other good ideas either in this thread or some others on here.
I like the totes the best though.

Latest posts