holstien calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Very interesting. will need to recaulate things since grain is going to be an added cost. at 7lbs a day at say $13 per 100lbs. That comes out to about $28 a month per calf = about $196 for 7mos. If i have my numbers right.

bighorn":vembc4su said:
Very interesting. will need to recaulate things since grain is going to be an added cost. at 7lbs a day at say $13 per 100lbs. That comes out to about $28 a month per calf = about $196 for 7mos. If i have my numbers right.
You could probably get by with an average of 5lbs a day if your going to have them 6 months starting when there around 10 weeks.

Check on some feed around there and see what you can get a deal on.

bighorn":1d5btdsp said:
Thanks for all your input. Got something to chew on.
Here's a little more, I've never done this but another guy here that buys about 800 350lb to 500lb dairy calves every fall does. He feeds them to 850lbs, but at the size he's buying he feeds them about 6 to 8lbs but only every other day and is feeding corn mids, it has been proven that with good grass every other day can work out. You wouldn't want to start doing that until they were up around 350lbs though.

bighorn":2k8ziv92 said:
How long does he hold on to them?
He buys in October and November mostly 350lbs to 450lbs but goes both ways of that a little, and will start selling in April at 850 to 900lbs.

Thats about 6-7 months and doubles the weight on avg. Feeding every other day would cut grain cost in half.
What are corn mids?

denvermartinfarms":e04t5z55 said:
bighorn":e04t5z55 said:
They are Angus/holstein cross and they have some Murray Gray cross. We are in the pacific northwest, are looking at putting them out on grass from april to October then taking them to auction.
On those kind of calves you can't get by on grass alone, you will need to keep them on some feed the whole time.

Grass for young calves needs to be top quality, and plenty of it so that they can pick and choose the best out of it. They can't be made to clean up until around 10 - 11 months old at a minimum, or their growth will be set back.
My calves right now are getting about 2lb 20% cubes each and grazing ahead of the cows, they're about four - five months old, dairy heifers. Within a month I'll start restricting their area and stop the grain feed but will still use the cows to clean up behind them.

As Denver says, if the calves look healthy now and you keep them on feed they should do fine.

NC Liz":2a4jjwwg said:
....They should be receiving all the antibodies and immunity they need from the cows milk....liz

This information is false. The only time a calf receives antibodies is after birth when it gets the colostrum when it nurses. The antibodies in the colostrum are absorbed for only a short time (I don't remember exactly, but it is something like within 48 hours of birth or less).

regolith,
Thanks, very good info. We are not going to have any cows to clean up after calves, but we are going to split the pasture into 5- 5 ac tracts. Will just have to make sure they get moved when best grass is eaten.
sounds like you keep your calves on feed for 6-7 months?

bighorn":1it3ybup said:
regolith,
Thanks, very good info. We are not going to have any cows to clean up after calves, but we are going to split the pasture into 5- 5 ac tracts. Will just have to make sure they get moved when best grass is eaten.
sounds like you keep your calves on feed for 6-7 months?

About five months. I've got a bit extra feed this year since they didn't eat much when they were on milk and the group is a bit smaller than it might have been. I aim to feed one metric ton (1000 kg) for every twenty calves that I rear.
You won't maintain the quality pasture you need, balanced with calf intake, if you don't have older cattle or another way - like grazing regrowth after hay - to control what the babies don't eat; though at a very low stocking rate they may still do okay. In which case they will need the extra feed for longer.

SimmentalFriesian_twins_and_weaner_bulls_late_Dec.jpg

About this time last year. The two white-face and the ugly dark thing on the right are the only beef crosses in the group, the rest are dairy bulls.

Ok looks like we need to sit down and work on a rotating/haying plan.
How old are they?

Question: If I run straight beef will I be able to get away with just grazing on grass after they are say 4mos?
Thanks

bighorn":1y9dcqw1 said:
Ok looks like we need to sit down and work on a rotating/haying plan.
How old are they?

Question: If I run straight beef will I be able to get away with just grazing on grass after they are say 4mos?
Thanks
Yes, you can get away with it, by you will be leaving money on the table. As long as you are feeding decent gaining calves feed makes money, and if there not gaining with feed there sure not going to make you anything on nothing but grass.

So which ever way I go I need to be feeding grain. With beef do you feed the same amount 4-5lbs a day?

bighorn":20gxseks said:
So which ever way I go I need to be feeding grain. With beef do you feed the same amount 4-5lbs a day?
Yep, I wouldn't feed less than 4lbs a day. Again, with the right cattle you can do ok with grass, but why go to the trouble to buy cattle and not let them make as much as they can for you, to me feed is an investment just like the calves are.

I buy mostly 225 to 350lb beef calves now, and sell between 600 and 850lbs depending on the market along the way.

Thats were we want to start at 200-300lb and take them to 600 to 800lbs. I see your point on grain, after talking to you and doing research on avg weight gain was not sure we could get them there on just grass.
Thanks

bighorn":21sfoaqa said:
Thats were we want to start at 200-300lb and take them to 600 to 800lbs. I see your point on grain, after talking to you and doing research on avg weight gain was not sure we could get them there on just grass.
Thanks
With what your wanting, I would go with beef. I believe there more economical and make the most for what you put in.

Latest posts