Hobby Farmer Newby could use advise

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First off I'm new to cattle and I'm new to this site, I have been looking for basic answers and I can't really seem to find what I'm looking for so I figured I would ask on a forum all about cattle lol.

So before I ask questions I will tell you my situation. Im bought a house with a small fenced in pasture (fraction of an acre) along with 3 stalls on a barn, story goes is dude before me used temp electric fence for more pasture beyond the sturdy steel poll fence. He had two horses. I was scrolling craigslist when I saw an add for a jersey steer for $300, he was 10 months old, so I figured why not. I didn't have a livestock trailer, ended up using my dads 4x6 trailer that had 4ft lumber all around, I bought a horse stall rubber mat on my way to this guys house to put in the trailer for traction. Surprisingly it worked very well to transport him, I unloaded him in my fenced in area and set up a 40 gal waterer I already had in the barn.

I was excited, I had a steer! Lol. A few weeks later saw another posting on CL for two more cattle at a good price, this time a bull calf and steer, long story short I bought those two lol. There 50% jersey and 50% beef (angus and brama). So now I have 3 bovine in a lot that's less then half an acre lol but 3ft tall grass for them to eat while I came up with a plan lol. A very long story in a two week period I ran over 400ft of chainlink (outside a full time job) I bought off craigslist and T-Post I got from rural King, hand pounded each 8ft Tpost down 2ft, then stretched my chainlink with a lawn mower and spoiler alert, the cows now have 1-1.5 acre of pasture. I was gonna do electric with the chainlink (4ft) but decided not to being the cows didn't test the fence and it saves me like $600.

Fast forward to today and save more time, my cattle are mostly fly free now (fly traps, back rub), have more pasture with salt and mineral blocks, get a scoop of corn every few days and hay more recently cause no rain for 3 weeks at 90+ temps and a shiny new 100g waterer under the gutter on the barn, I have no water for them back there and hual it from the house every two days via 5gal buckets. I can tell you 3 cattle drink 20-45 gals of water on a hot day lmao.

Alright so I had a vet look at my cattle and she said there all healthy looking animals and are very healthy weights for there age. 13 month old jersey steer(650-700lb), 13ish month old jersey steer cross (750ish lb)and a 8 month old cross bull calf (375-400lb). That's all a guess from me and the vet, she actually guessed higher then I thought they would weigh. I read about the weight tape earlier which I will look into. So now to the questions.

1. How much hay will I need to survive an Ohio winter of let's say 3-4 months or however long they eat hay for.

2. Am I better off keeping them threw the winter or selling the bigger two before snow, they will be around 16-17 months old by then, I have $300 in each so I could make money on them tomorrow if I wanted but I want to get the biggest return for my fence and supplies as I can, if that's investing in a grain and hay diet to get a larger gain with the end product I will do that but would rather not do the trial and error when we're talking about losing my ass and doubling my money ext.

3. The bull calf, keep him as a breeder or chop chop and use only for meat, side note my neighbor has a Hereford bull I can breed any heifers I get with but he's in his 80s and I don't want to rely on him.

4. I plan to finish my cows, I heard barley is a good thing to use with jerseys and I heard a guy getting barly from a brewery after they boil it, ever heard of something like that? Good idea or not?

5. I need someone to point me in more of a my case scenario direction to what I need to get these cattle to gain at the best rate and end with a quality product without the trial and error, I'm not wanting to throw money at a cow blindly hoping for a quality and efficient product.

I started out just wanting a calf to raise for meat, now it's more of a hobby that I want to pay for itself and I fill my freezer full of meat that I have little to no money in with a fence paid for by cattle profits ext. being I max out at 2-3 cows I have to get efficient real quick, I'm happy with progress so far but I'm lacking the end game for these bovine.

After I get rid of current cattle I plan to invest in quality beef heifers, was talking to a guy with belted Galloway cattle, heritage breed, anyway, having two breeding heifers, let them raise the calf till its on grain and raise the calves to eat or sell. I feel that would suit me best, I'm not a fan of buying random cows to raise like I did this time, I like my cattle a lot and there healthy but I feel I got lucky they weren't carriers of anything or got sick off each other or the neighbors cows that share a fence.

I apologize for the length of the post but my cattle are something I put a lot of thought into and with so many diff ways I can go from here, picking the brains of a few experienced cattle ranchers would be my best and next move so here I am lol.

Welcome, I don't know anything about your area so my advice would not be suitable to your environment on feeding.

I would sell before winter. The more you input into them the less ROI . im curious to see why a 10mth old steer sold for 300 bucks if his condition has not changed you will likely get 300bucks back out of him

Welcome to the forum. I'd have to agree with M-5. I'd recommend butchering one of the steers this fall and selling the other two calves. Buy some more steers next spring and repeat the process. That way you won't have to mess with hay during the winter, but if you want to anyway, I usually figure one 4' x 5' round bale per mature animal per month. That may vary depending on your location. I'm in southeast Texas where the winters are relatively mild.

I definitely wouldn't keep the cross-bred bull calf as a breeder.

One more friendly suggestion. Stop referring to anything bovine as a cow. Cow usually refers to a mature female bovine that's had at least one calf. It's not generally applied to steers, heifers, bulls, or calves of either sex. Again, I intend that suggestion to be helpful, not mean-spirited (sometimes it's hard to tell from typed text).

Rafter S":235sxkny said:
Welcome to the forum. I'd have to agree with M-5. I'd recommend butchering one of the steers this fall and selling the other two calves. Buy some more steers next spring and repeat the process. That way you won't have to mess with hay during the winter, but if you want to anyway, I usually figure one 4' x 5' round bale per mature animal per month. That may vary depending on your location. I'm in southeast Texas where the winters are relatively mild.

I definitely wouldn't keep the cross-bred bull calf as a breeder.

One more friendly suggestion. Stop referring to anything bovine as a cow. Cow usually refers to a mature female bovine that's had at least one calf. It's not generally applied to steers, heifers, bulls, or calves of either sex. Again, I intend that suggestion to be helpful, not mean-spirited (sometimes it's hard to tell from typed text).
Another friendly suggestion call them beef cattle not meat cattle (i dont know if thats a regional thing but no one around here calls them "meat heifers")

The barly from a brewery is usually called brewers grain and is good feed ask skyhightree more about it thats what he feeds

See rafter i can be helpful (more like making sky (More) helpful)

Rafter S":4i4ptrni said:

I had looked up the terms before, I guess around here I don't deal with ranchers and people aren't as formal with names, I did edit my post though lol. I'm in Ohio where winters can be rough.

There's nothing wrong with my cattle, I bought each one at a low cost but like I said I had a large animal vet look at them and she said just that, there healthy animals at a healthy weight, the price doesn't reflect the quality of the animal, I just got a few really good deals on cattle threw private sale, not from big commercial ranchers or a sale barn or whatever it's called. I have 2 steers and a bull calf. Also my winters are in Ohio and I already bought hay this spring, I have 70 square bales in the loft, 5 or so I have fed to the cattle. But planned on butchering one steer this fall, maybe both steers.

If you sold the bull and whichever steer you didn't want to eat, you could put that cash back into your facility. As you can already see, you're gonna need to deal with water, as manual isn't gonna work long term.

Sounds like you got a lot on the ball. I've looked into low lines like the Galloway, and what I know for a fact is, there is a market for them as freezer beef, and breeding stock, on the private market only. For my money, I'd want to be in the registered game with those.

I would either sell or castrate the bull. A crossbred bull of unknown origin isn't going to make a good breeding bull. Either way bulls grow up to be..... well bulls. They can be a hazard to handle especially for a beginner. Just starting out and learning you will be better off to buy critters in the spring and sell in the fall. Sell hanging beef if you can instead of selling life animals. Learn about raising cattle and get your facilities working well before moving to attempting to raise a niche breed like Belted Gallaway.

Corn is cheap this year. Nut the bull, and feed out all 3. You're not afraid of craigslist judging by your post. So sell halfs on Craigslist and you will more than make your money back. Just have a good place to have them processed. Also, be forewarned, manually carrying water every day during winter sucks.
If you don't want to fool with any of that, sell them in the fall and reload with a few small calfs come spring. Wash, rinse repeat. 2 or 3 acres will not carry very many cow calf pairs in my experience.

I still would like to know an formula for money in and money out threw winter, I basically know what the cattle will be this fall weight wise, my question is it worth letting them grow another 4 months threw the winter and maybe take them to market in the spring or next fall? the only thing holding me up is how much hay they would consume (total hay to get threw the winter minus cost of another few hundred pounds on the cattle) if it's worth fooling with. Any figures I come up with say it would be, keep two threw the winter and butcher one in the spring or early summer, the other next fall if I snip him. The work doesn't bother me, I'm hauling water and feed for the chickens anyway.

BrokeFarmerJohn":28k4xq6m said:
I still would like to know an formula for money in and money out threw winter, I basically know what the cattle will be this fall weight wise, my question is it worth letting them grow another 4 months threw the winter and maybe take them to market in the spring or next fall? the only thing holding me up is how much hay they would consume (total hay to get threw the winter minus cost of another few hundred pounds on the cattle) if it's worth fooling with. Any figures I come up with say it would be, keep two threw the winter and butcher one in the spring or early summer, the other next fall if I snip him. The work doesn't bother me, I'm hauling water and feed for the chickens anyway.

You're asking for answers to questions when there are too many unknown variables. NONE of us know what beef prices will be next spring, or fall for that matter. It all fluctuates in real time. Only formula I know is keep your inputs cheap and sell when they're high but no one has a crystal ball. Figure your inputs through winter: hay costs, grain costs, mineral etc. I wouldn't expect more than 2lbs adg just feeding hay through an OH winter. Figure each one consuming 20-30# hay per day depending on temperatures. Figure out your cost per day to keep them through winter. Speculate where they will be in weight (barring any set backs) and then multiply weight by market projections for spring months next year on CME. Should give you a ballpark idea if the juice of selling in the spring will be worth the squeeze of carrying them through winter. Good luck to you.

BrokeFarmerJohn":j1v8hm0s said:
I have 70 square bales in the loft, 5 or so I have fed to the cattle. But planned on butchering one steer this fall, maybe both steers.

We usually count hay needed in reference to 4×5 rounds bales. I'm in alabama and I need 4-5 round bales per winter per mature animal. If those square bales are 50 pound bales then it'll take about 23-25 to equal one round bale. Looks like you will need more hay.

Latest posts