Historical Land

Help Support CattleToday:

All the rooting around that I've done in the woods and clearing land. I've never found a arrowhead yet. One of these days I will.

highgrit":11a3masp said:
All the rooting around that I've done in the woods and clearing land. I've never found a arrowhead yet. One of these days I will.

I'll give you a tip that could stack the deck some in your favor. Next time you see someone burn down an old pack house or an old tenant house look around the perimeter of the building. Lots of times they would pick up the arrowheads during the day and set them on the boards in the building. If they are burned down the arrowheads will be in lines along where the walls were.

Points and springs go hand in hand here. Further you are from water, the less points you'll find.

There have been all kinds of arrowheads found on our farm.

Also, according to people in our area, every old building in our county was a hold-up place for Jessie James. I've noticed that he even stayed in buildings that were built after he died. ;-)

Jogeephus":13n9jgkd said:
I have an indian camp on my property. Lots of artifacts can be found in a confined area. Mostly pottery. Its nothing to pick up a handful of pottery shards in just a few minutes. I took my daughter there when she was about three years old and let her pick up pottery and arrowheads (I had a few in my pocket just in case picking was slim). I was telling her about how I've always wanted to find a bird point. I described this to her and how they have always alluded my eyes. About fifteen minutes into our venture she turns to me and asks me if this was a bird point. There in her tiny fingers was the most beautiful bird point I had ever seen. It was perfect and so thin you could almost see through it. Not a nick or a break in it. Wonderful day that was.

Priceless, right there.

Chrisy I bet you are surrounded by history going back centuries. Versus lots of places here where the recorded history isn't that much over 100 years. I heard this as a joke but it's so true -
The main difference between Americans and Brits? Americans think 100 years is a loooooong time, while Brits think 100 miles is a loooooong way.

That is a good story Jogeephus. We've found several bird points some were good ones, others out of scrap chert. I think some of the natives just sat around and doodled with scraps. There is no way some would fly straight. But, they were skilled craftsman.

I am amazed at how far certain types of stone traveled or was traded. Hot Springs, Arkansas was a special place believed to be a real gathering spot. Stone only in Hot Springs can be found all over Arkansas and surrounding states.

Caddo's must have hunted my creek bottoms a lot.
I have a good friend that his hobby is digging and hunting for artifacts.
Nearly every time he goes in that pasture he comes out with arrowheads.
He has a collection from all over the country.

First piece of land I ever bought was a 10 acre wooded tract with a spring on the lower end. I had the timber cut off of it and had the stumps dozed out and piled. Right after it was cleared a fellow showed up at my door asking if he could look for arrowheads, I told him he could look until I planted grass and then I didn't want him walking around on the ground. About a week later after it had rained he showed up at the door with half a five gallon bucket of arrowheads and other pieces that didn't look like anything to me. Few weeks later he came back with a 3 by 3 display board with pieces he had found on my place, it was hard to believe how perfect some of those pieces were.
He said the area around the spring was a certain kind of clay that the locals used for pottery, all I know was you couldn't get equipment anywhere near that spring because you would sink out of sight. I walked that place for the next 5 years and never found the first one.

MO_cows":1ds8vw23 said:
Chrisy I bet you are surrounded by history going back centuries. Versus lots of places here where the recorded history isn't that much over 100 years. I heard this as a joke but it's so true -
The main difference between Americans and Brits? Americans think 100 years is a loooooong time, while Brits think 100 miles is a loooooong way.
:lol: agree so true.
We are surrounded by history and I like the subject, there is a Monastery ruins that goes back to AD666 in Town with a really nice church in the grounds, http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j& ... 7574531123
this link has pictures and a review of the area if you are interested.

chrisy":2c4ml10z said:
Just up the road from where I live now is a Quaker burial ground and it is written that some of them were related to the Pilgrim Fathers.
I have a nephew who is an attorney by trade but also holds antique auctions. He travels to the United Kingdom and a few countries in Europe buying furniture etc. and has it shipped back in cargo containers.Most is a couple hundred years old at the most....over here it is very expensive antiques...over there it is JUNK. :lol2:

When Columbus discovered the new world he thought he had sailed around the world and was in India thus the folks he met were Indians. It has been estimated to have been more humans living on the North American Continent at that time than in Europe. Spanish explorers documented passing through several villages with populations in the thousands in a days ride. Years later Spanish explorers came and found no Indians to speak of. European dieseses has been the theory that wiped the Indians out because of no immunity. History needs to be taught as it happened and not whitewashed as it is now.

The Pilgrims were good to the Indians, especially those first few winters when the Pilgrims would have died without the Indians' assistance. Once the Indians smartened up and realized that the Pilgrims were here to take their land and resources, they of course became resentful. The Pilgrims' response was to start treating them savagely, and we haven't stopped since. Once the Pilgrims knew where the Indians grain stores were, they didn't need to rely on gifts and generosity to help get them through the lean times. They just started taking what they wanted, and doling out severe punishment when the Indians protested or defended their property. Nice way to repay the kindness of the "heathens". And the Pilgrims had the nerve to consider their so-called christian ideology as superior.
Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick is a good unbiased book on the real relationship between the Pilgrims and the natives.

hurleyjd":1dyhvpft said:
When Columbus discovered the new world he thought he had sailed around the world and was in India thus the folks he met were Indians.

That is a good story. The truth about the word indian is that it comes from "indogeno", you have it in english as "indigenous".
And no, Columbus did not beleive he was in India, he just tried to sail there.

Latest posts