Historical Land

Help Support CattleToday:

Webster's wagon train massacre, Comanche, no survivors, buried in single grave. Cemetery Leander to Georgetown Hwy 2243.
Blockhouse creek. Fort with large oak tree with footsteps carved in for soldiers to climb and watch for Hostiles. Hwy 183 between cedar Park and Leander.

I lived at the site of the 2nd post office in Indiana. Smockville. (Vincennes was 1st) Samuel Smock came from Virginia about 1807 and chose a spot with a year-round spring on the road between Cincinnati and Loisville. Sam had a rare talent for the time--he had learned to read and write. He became a county official, auditor I think, an impotant position in Indiana county government. He was also a founder of the local Presbyterian church. His son was in the 1st graduating class of the local Presbyterian affiliated college.
It's said he was a delegate to the constitutional covention when Indiana became a state (1816).
The kicker is that he never had a deed, he was a squatter, and this was the 16th section--dedicated for public education. A school board was organized in 1838, and put the land up for sale. Sam moved to the next section east, and a few years later moved to Indianapolis. I have no knowledge of his time there.

M-5":36cjr16g said:
Huge Indian encampment here. The artifacts show that the first inhabitants were not the Mississippan cultures. My hometown had a huge battle during the civil war.

Very interested in what you said mdash5. I have actually read extensively on Mississippian culture. What natives where in your area?

Artifacts have been dated to BC . north of us in Georgia is a kolomoki mounds these natives were descendants or related to the Aztecs. Kolomoki Indians roamed these woods and used the chattahoochee river to travel north and south. If you want to read a good book on my community get Old parramore by Dale Cox . It's on Amazon for about 5 bucks. Most of the artifacts that I have found date to the mississippian period during the beginning of this country Florida was owned by the Spanish. This county was fertile and had several tribes that made this area their home.

I have thought many times about looking for that gold along the Alapaha River. Also we find a lot of arrowheads in plowed fields. Pieces of pottery have been found along the Ocmulgee River. Creek Indians lived here. They named the river and several springs like Osciwichee. My spelling does not look right.
Let me know when you want to go look for the gold. I would like to go, if I can get away from my cows. Waiting on calves to come and if they come in the daytime, we have vultures waiting to kill them. Checking three times a day now.

hurleyjd":1y457wty said:
I am living and ranching on land that was farmed by the Caddo Indians.

I have housing mounds on my place in East Texas. I was told all my childhood they were burial mounds. Research revealed their housing customs and I am certain I have several old housing foundation mounds. Never told anyone and don't want to show it to anyone. It has never been desecrated.

Someone mentioned Chisholm trail. My cows are about 3 miles north of an the old dipping vat. THey used that to cure "Texas fever". There is a historical marker there describing it. The wagon tracks and old trail come through me. The old main road north too. Once I cleared the brush, everyone "discovered" it. LOL

The back of my place is on a creek. The first riffle on the creek coming up from the river is there. The Indians camped there as they could easily catch the salmon as they came over the riffle. As a kid my Dad followed a single horse pulling a cultivator through strawberries in the field to the west of me. He collected jars full of arrow heads. A couple miles from my place is the location of the fort where the early settlers forted up turning the 1850's Indian wars. Every day I drive past where the first settlers into Washington settled. There is a long story about why they turned north into Washington rather than south into the Willamette Valley like most of those who came over the Oregon Trail.

That's interesting stuff Dave, along with the other info provided from all. No arrowheads or artifacts found yet on my place. Although I live about a mile away from a well documented trail used by Lewis and Clark on their travels to and from the pacific ocean. :mrgreen:

An old Indian burial ground next to the Ocmulgee River just outside town was desecrated by an avid Indian artifacts collector several years ago. He found pottery, beads that they used for trading, tools made from animal bones, and many arrowheads. He had quite a collection when he passed away. Do not know what has become of it. I never approved of bothering their burial grounds. They should be left alone. Some things started washing up after heavy rains and that is when he found where to look.
When I was teaching GA History in February each year, I would ask him to bring some of his collection to show my students. He gave an interesting presentation. The children were thrilled to know that Native American children had lived and played right where they live.
I love to go up to North GA where the Cherokees lived. I also taught about the Trail of Tears. That has bothered me. Talk about people being mistreated . They were forced to leave their homes, land, and belongings and walk from North GA to Oklahoma where many died along the way. That is a sad part of our history.
The Etowah Mounds are in our state. It is fascinating to see them build on the Etowah River. You can even see their fish traps made from rocks still right there. It is a beautiful, peaceful place. The mound builders were the first Native American to live here.

Jefferson Davis birth place is just a few miles from my home, and the trail of tears came through town. They camped here a few days actually.

Williamsv":2v4ld9kv said:
An old Indian burial ground next to the Ocmulgee River just outside town was desecrated by an avid Indian artifacts collector several years ago. He found pottery, beads that they used for trading, tools made from animal bones, and many arrowheads. He had quite a collection when he passed away. Do not know what has become of it. I never approved of bothering their burial grounds. They should be left alone. Some things started washing up after heavy rains and that is when he found where to look.
When I was teaching GA History in February each year, I would ask him to bring some of his collection to show my students. He gave an interesting presentation. The children were thrilled to know that Native American children had lived and played right where they live.
I love to go up to North GA where the Cherokees lived. I also taught about the Trail of Tears. That has bothered me. Talk about people being mistreated . They were forced to leave their homes, land, and belongings and walk from North GA to Oklahoma where many died along the way. That is a sad part of our history.
The Etowah Mounds are in our state. It is fascinating to see them build on the Etowah River. You can even see their fish traps made from rocks still right there. It is a beautiful, peaceful place. The mound builders were the first Native American to live here.

The Cherokees had a nation and laws and were doing very well until gold was discovered on their land. And then greed took over. Cherokees and Chickasaw were one tribe and the chief had identical sons and the tribe was divided between the sons and that was where the two tribes came about. These facts were learned at the Chickasaw Cultural Center in Oklahoma. We visited there last summer.

Ever wonder why indians lost so many arrowheads?? Just come off the shaft....couldn't find the arrow. They must have spent a lot of time making new arrowheads and arrows. I've only found one in my lifetime and the point was broken off it.

I've found a few. Nothing like other people. I have tons of shard from camp sites there around Granbury. Nothing around but caliche. Then you start finding piles and piles of shard. They must have made a lot of arrow heads.

Found one large flat rock with one side worked. It looked like someone had started on a large spear head but never finished it. Turns out it was a fleshing knife. It is finished as is. Apparently it is quite a find. Laying right there on the ground for years and years and no one had picked it up.

TexasBred":2xcaf18d said:
Ever wonder why indians lost so many arrowheads?? Just come off the shaft....couldn't find the arrow
I have wondered that. Most of them were probably lost arrows is what I think. Bow hunter says "watch me shoot that bird out of the sky".

I've never seen a rock here big enough to make even a bird point, but a neighbor up the hill from me found a spear point that he sold for about $5k to a collector. I did find a big black rock I thought might be a meteorite, but when I cleaned it up, turned out to be just a big old lump of tar. No idea where it came from or what it was doing buried here.

We are close to the Missouri River so it's marked as the "Lewis and Clark trail". The expedition could have tramped over our land but we'll never know for sure.

A few miles to the southeast, the town of Lexington, there is a civil war cannonball still stuck in one of the columns of the courthouse. It's waaaay up high or somebody would have added it to their "private collection" a long time ago I'm sure.

In more recent history, our area used to grow LOTS of potatoes and ship them back east to the population centers via rail cars. They used POW labor during the WW II days. One newspaper article from that time I have read, reported that a German POW had escaped from the camp, but within a couple days turned himself in to a farm wife because he was hungry, lost and being eaten alive by skeeters and chiggers. We have some big, black river bottom skeeters that can bite right thru most clothing.

Latest posts