Drought and BLM land

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I am in central Minnesota and very dry. Sale barns are overwhelmed with cattle coming in. Pairs are coming in large numbers. I myself will have to make tough decisions unless it rains soon. I will be 73 in a few weeks so not as tough for me as younger guys. Land will stay in family but kids all have excellent jobs so cattle may or may not be in our future as people clamoring to rent land. But enough of me. I know this drought is wide spread. Finally getting to my question. How does this drought affect BLM and other govt leases? There is no govt land here so what happens to your leases? With the terrible drought will this affect leases in years to come? I hope no one is offended by these questions. It's just here we decide and I assume with these leases you have no say in decisions. thanks farmguy

A lot of it depends on the individual office that a person is dealing with. It can effect the turn out and take off dates. It can also effect the number of animals allowed on the allotment. In the short term it is mostly rancher decisions. If there is nothing to eat you have to pull the cows. They don't do well with nothing to eat but rocks.

Most federal grazing permits have various use limitations, such as utilization limits on upland grass species (30-50% by weight is common), utilization on riparian species (minimum stubble heights on the "greenline" or on key species such as certain sedge species), percentage willow stems grazed, bank trampling impact (Forest Service uses this one a lot) and other "triggers" that require moving cattle to the next pasture or off the allotment entirely if triggers are met. On low production years livestock don't get to stay very long before utilization or impact triggers are met and livestock have to be removed from the allotment.

Question for Dave on this. Do they actually go out and check the number of animals you are allotted? Looking at your topography, that would seem impossible.

Question for Dave on this. Do they actually go out and check the number of animals you are allotted? Looking at your topography, that would seem impossible.
They do go out and check. Most of what I hear is when there are critters somewhere they aren't supposed to be. To actually count numbers....... that would be impossible. The ground is too broken up and big. The places here which are open enough to count cows were all homesteaded back in the very early 1900's. They have been consolidated and are still in private hands. What is BLM was too steep, rocky and no water for the homesteaders to want. I am certain the numbers get fudge a little on occasions.

I am in central Minnesota and very dry. Sale barns are overwhelmed with cattle coming in. Pairs are coming in large numbers. I myself will have to make tough decisions unless it rains soon. I will be 73 in a few weeks so not as tough for me as younger guys. Land will stay in family but kids all have excellent jobs so cattle may or may not be in our future as people clamoring to rent land. But enough of me. I know this drought is wide spread. Finally getting to my question. How does this drought affect BLM and other govt leases? There is no govt land here so what happens to your leases? With the terrible drought will this affect leases in years to come? I hope no one is offended by these questions. It's just here we decide and I assume with these leases you have no say in decisions. thanks farmguy

73 better get to have fun and enjoy the things you enjoy. It's the age of old enough to know better, old enough to not have to do things you don't want to and young enough to enjoy life.
Anymore some people get offended by things that shouldn't be offensive. Yet have no values or respect. If you don't know your asking for knowledge not to offend. 😊

Latest posts