Drought and BLM leases

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I have posted concerning this last year. What has the widespread drought done to your BLM leases? How soon after a drought will BLM leases return to normal? Looking at maps I see how widespread the drought is. What do you do with livestock under such conditions? Is hay available? Thanks, as we are not close to BLM areas but we had a bad drought last year here in Minnesota and there was a big sell off of cattle.

Good question. Who knows how the government thinks. Much BLM land that was in drought also suffered from grasshoppers. They moved in and took everything,

While I don't have BLM leases both BLM and Forest leases use is based on available forage . So less forage = less use. Another issue for some permits is also the numerous fires.
I see the sell off of cattle to continue this year in the intermountain west. .

While I don't have BLM leases both BLM and Forest leases use is based on available forage . So less forage = less use. Another issue for some permits is also the numerous fires.
I see the sell off of cattle to continue this year in the intermountain west. .
A lot of drought reduction dispersals in Wyoming in 2021 and continuing this year and in surrounding states as well. If it stays dry, the holdouts that found a way to get through last summer and the winter will be sending cattle somewhere else or just selling them.

RMC posted. "BLM and Forest Lease is based on available forage". That is correct.

Along with the grasshoppers on prairie BLM land, the mountains here lack grass hold over. It's been dry there as well and much of the Big Horns are very short of snowpack.
We have big snow months ahead that could help the mountain snowpack, but there won't be much ice for late season irrigation. As a result, I could foresee both agencies cutting back on grazing use.

If there isn't substantial moisture in the next few months, I'm thinking camping on the Big Horns could be restricted as well.

I only have a section and 80 acres, some of the worst country on the ranch (of course), that is for 8 head year round. they sent a letter about management, but I know for a fact there are about 2 out of 50 or so employees in the local area that could even find my two parcels on a map, much less out on the ground.

I know they have to deal with all sorts of "stakeholders" and conflicting interests, but I am not a fan of that agency and am grateful to not have to deal with them in the management of this place. I do participate in watershed issues with them and that is bad enough.

for severe drought in general, you can move animals to other pasture if you can find it, sell off, or feed. one of the best ways to handle it is using constant moves as taught by Alan Savory and others, but if you have multiple agencies involved on an individual place like much of the west, that can be difficult to implement even in wetter times. best to have buy-in with your on-the-ground range staff and hopefully have some enviro types on your team and on your side.

Last edited:
I went up the hill last week. I never got close to the BLM. Frozen settled heavy snow deeper than a 4 wheel drive quad could make it through. We will be good for spring grass. It really depends on how the snow goes off. A slow melt with the water soaking in would be best. A sudden flash melt with things running off won't do a lot of good. A good rain here in late May early June makes the difference here for summer grass. But when you have as low of an annual precipitation as we have drought is a nearly annual thing. The stocking rate on the BLM is pretty darn low to start with.

I am going to have some hay left over, and have decided not to sell it. We run out on the Red Desert and may have to get off early. Rawlins had some good snows in December, but that has mostly melted away, and this last storm that went through I don't think they got much.