Historical Land

Help Support CattleToday:

wacocowboy

Reaction score
Does any one live or own land where something famous happened? Like a Civil War or Revolutionary War battle or any other famous historical event. I love History and I think it would be neat to find out that a battle took place on my land.

Google -- Battle of Plum Creek, that Indian battle occurs here, also the Chisholm Trail Cattle drives came through here.

tater74":3s8r80db said:
Years ago we lived outside Anderson TX. We were told that the old stage road passed through our property. There were 4 trees in a square outlined the old stage stop.
No battles that I know of.
That would probably be one of the way stations before the coach got to Fanthrop Inn (it's still there) NW of Navasota. A lot of Anderson and most of Navasota was burned to the ground right after the civil war by Confederate troops that came back home mad because Lee had surrendered--mad also because they couldn't get paid.

Have a wagon crossing. Before bridges they would lay hewn beams on the ground to give a firm foundation for the wagons to cross streams. Nothing spectacular just something neat to see.

A historical society actually owns the parcel of land which joins me, but on it stands the only remaining birth place house of an Alamo hero.

The first German flying bomb (buzz bomb) landed at the end of the street my Husband lived on, just around the corner from where I also lived as a child. My Dad was home for the weekend and helped with the clearing up of bodies from the local Underground Station from a direct hit www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21645163
not sure if this counts, but living in London there are so many things over the thousands of years of history there. I worked in Pudding Lane, 370 years after, where the Great Fire of London Started in 1666.

Chisholm trail crosses a place my brother farmed. Chisholm died and was buried just a couple miles away. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Hand_ ... klahoma%29

Found a wagon trail on a place last year. I didn't know it existed until the fence line was pushed out. Those old wagon ruts were as plain as day going through the black jacks. Dad confirmed that's what it was. The ground being cultivated on either side of the trees erased it's impressions.

I'd like to take a metal detector up and down it some day.

John Hunt Morgan and his raiders came across our farm on his raid through Southern Indiana in 1863. There is a spring over the hill where he (and everyone else) watered his horses. It is on the route between Corydon, Indiana and Salem. He was in the only other battle besides Gettysburg north of the Mason Dixon line. He was given credit for leaving a lot of good horse flesh throughout Southern Indiana as he traded out horses with the locals along the way.

I live on an old homestead of at least 150 years and the most interesting thing was when we went to dig a post hole for a lean to was running into a board. We were down about 3' when I hit board. I wasn't in a huge hurry since I was working by myself and began excavating it as it was laid flat. I dug it out and it appeared to be about two inches thick. I called my Dad and he came out to look at it and saw that it appeared to be chestnut wood. He cleaned it off some more and found it to be two boards flat on each other. After separating it we found what appeared to be cloth in between away from the edges. He said it appeared to be linen. We measured the width and length and he said that it was the same as what baby coffins used to be and the cloth was probably linen. When my father was a boy he used to earn money digging graves and he said it was not uncommon for a family to bury infants without a lot of fanfare. Where the lean to was going was near where the summer kitchen used to be and he speculated the family just buried there own. Here locally chestnut was the wood almost all coffins were made of and you could purchase them at the General Merchandise store in Palmyra.

Where I grew up there you could find civil war artifacts in certain areas
A friend found so jacket buttons and some other things in one of his fields when the plowed it up
Some researchers came out and did some digging and found a few other things but nothing of great significance
Were several small skirmishes in the area around Marshfield Mo

My house was built in 1910. I pretty much know the history of it from that point in time. I have been wanting to do some research on the land though. We have found a cannon ball buried in the ground, but do not know anything about how it got there yet.

A surveyor friend has a copy of a Spanish Map of my area dating back to 1780. Across my property the map says CATTLE RANGE. Iberville and Bienville first settled Dauphin Island Al. around 1702 bringing the first cattle to Alabama, then moved the settlement up the bay to "Mobile". There were some plantations started around Coden Al. soon after. They were French but Spain gained control of the area around 1780. A bayou named GRANDE DIABLO BAYOU runs through my property. Always wondered why they named it "BIG DEVIL BAYOU"...... Some of the first beef ever in Alabama grazed across this ground.

Zebulon Pike camped 5 miles west of us on christmas 1846 I think.

The De Anza expedition starved to death one winter about 15 miles south of here sometime in the late 1600's or early 1700's.

The Royal Gorge railroad was was fought about 55 miles east of us in the 1880's.

They say a huge indian battle between the Cheyenne's and the Ute's was fought about where my house stands in the 1880's.

Jefferson Davis spent the night in our town before he was captured the next day by Union soldiers at Irwinville, GA. He camped under a large oak tree that was called the "Jeff Davis Tree". It was a few feet north of the courthouse just east of U.S. Hwy. 129 North. The tree was on private property and the owner had it cut down a few years go as not much was left of it.
In 1925 the UDC had a granite boulder marker commemorating Davis's last hours as president of the Confederacy and his sad encampment in custody of the Union soldiers. The marker stands on our courthouse square at the crossroads of north- south and east- west where U.S. 280 and U.S 129 intersect.
The story has been told that Davis had the Confederacy's gold the night before he was captured, but did not have it when he was captured the next day. Some think that he buried it somewhere between here and Irwinville probably along the banks of the Alapaha River.

There were some Indians here too because I find broken pieces of pottery and arrowheads. I think they were Creek Indians.

Williamsv":jgdci3k8 said:
Jefferson Davis spent the night in our town before he was captured the next day by Union soldiers at Irwinville, GA. He camped under a large oak tree that was called the "Jeff Davis Tree". It was a few feet north of the courthouse just east of U.S. Hwy. 129 North. The tree was on private property and the owner had it cut down a few years go as not much was left of it.

My scout troop built the wooden bridge that crosses the creek at the park as a service project. BTW - if it has fallen down - maybe we didn't.

Let's go find that gold Jogeephus, Mrs Williams you can ride along too. Was the river up when Davis was captured?

Latest posts