Historical Land

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows":22w4wrrc said:
We are close to the Missouri River so it's marked as the "Lewis and Clark trail". The expedition could have tramped over our land but we'll never know for sure.

A few miles to the southeast, the town of Lexington, there is a civil war cannonball still stuck in one of the columns of the courthouse. It's waaaay up high or somebody would have added it to their "private collection" a long time ago I'm sure.

In more recent history, our area used to grow LOTS of potatoes and ship them back east to the population centers via rail cars. They used POW labor during the WW II days. One newspaper article from that time I have read, reported that a German POW had escaped from the camp, but within a couple days turned himself in to a farm wife because he was hungry, lost and being eaten alive by skeeters and chiggers. We have some big, black river bottom skeeters that can bite right thru most clothing.

Their POWs had it better than our POWs.

Williamsv would you mind telling me why there would have been beads and tools and such in a burial ground? Sounds more like a camp to me. TB what make you think they lost all that many arrowheads? Lots of folks around here have arrowheads, been plenty of Indians around here. I have found quite a few tucked in cracks in shelters without digging any at all. You can find lots of indian camps around here most any good water source wood have a camp. I think most of what we find here is culls that didn't flake to suit them and were cast aside. I know a few people that can make arrowheads and with a good piece of flint can turn one out in no time.

Red Bull Breeder":3elizscu said:
Williamsv would you mind telling me why there would have been beads and tools and such in a burial ground? Sounds more like a camp to me. TB what make you think they lost all that many arrowheads? Lots of folks around here have arrowheads, been plenty of Indians around here. I have found quite a few tucked in cracks in shelters without digging any at all. You can find lots of indian camps around here most any good water source wood have a camp. I think most of what we find here is culls that didn't flake to suit them and were cast aside. I know a few people that can make arrowheads and with a good piece of flint can turn one out in no time.

Just seems pretty common for folks these days to find perfectly good arrow heads. I can understand them throwing down a broken one but not a good one. Some folks have collections with several hundred in it and as far as you can tell there is nothing wrong with any of them. But...if they inhabited an area for several hundred years I guess quite a few arrowheads could accumulate even if they only lost a couple every year.

TexasBred":2dv0u3yx said:
Red Bull Breeder":2dv0u3yx said:

Just seems pretty common for folks these days to find perfectly good arrow heads. I can understand them throwing down a broken one but not a good one. Some folks have collections with several hundred in it and as far as you can tell there is nothing wrong with any of them. But...if they inhabited an area for several hundred years I guess quite a few arrowheads could accumulate even if they only lost a couple every year.

more like thousands of years TB.

Chance they ran off in a wounded animal, chance some were seen as bad luck, and were discarded.

Either way , they are very plentiful in my area. Interesting to note, some of the early settlers to kentucky encountered Indians that mostly used organic tips. Antler points, sharpened sticks etc. imagine how many I would find if they tipped everything in stone.

We also find many large points here because of the large use of atlatis to hurl spears.

I really enjoy finding a tip that I believe walked in here with somebody. In other words, it's a flint not found in my area.

Bigfoot":28n861jh said:
Chance they ran off in a wounded animal, chance some were seen as bad luck, and were discarded.

Either way , they are very plentiful in my area. Interesting to note, some of the early settlers to kentucky encountered Indians that mostly used organic tips. Antler points, sharpened sticks etc. imagine how many I would find if they tipped everything in stone.

We also find many large points here because of the large use of atlatis to hurl spears.

I really enjoy finding a tip that I believe walked in here with somebody. In other words, it's a flint not found in my area.

Its the same way on that old camp spot I was speaking of. Nothing in that area but limestone and caliche. When you see shard pieces, you know they camped there and were fashioning arrow heads. Those pieces of stone shard chipped away in maling arrow heads are no where close to that hill top. It is a camp site. Strategic too. If you were spotting buffalo, it is a good vantage point. Great for spotting anything else too.

We have an indian camp site on our place. I dug the trash pit. Found good and bad points. Several pottery pieces and lots of animal bones. The best piece found was a clay pipe. Dates back to 14-1500's. The different ages of pottery shows the location was used by multiple generations to about 1200's. Latter pieces probably caddo. I still find points, grinding stones, and grinding bowls. Since we've gotten cows, no real time to actively look.

One lady made a comment to me, " it is hard to believe how many arrow heads are out there". My comment was, how many bullets do you think have been made in the last 300 years? It kinda puts it into perspective for me.

brimmer X":15lluc8o said:
One lady made a comment to me, " it is hard to believe how many arrow heads are out there". My comment was, how many bullets do you think have been made in the last 300 years? It kinda puts it into perspective for me.

A couple hundred years from now some one will dig up the place where my kids used to shoot and they will think they found a battlefield.

Please let me try to correct myself on the burial ground. As best as I can remember, for it has been maybe fifteen years or more since I heard this. He showed us some things and told us they were found at a burial site next to the river. I imagine pieces of pottery and arrowheads, tools, etc. came from a campsite nearby. It seems to me that he got the beads from a trader. I remember him showing them and telling where he got them. If he were still alive, I would call and ask him. I may yet call his wife and ask her.
I need to stop trying to post, as some like to pick at every little detail. I am too old to remember all the facts that I had to keep in my mind all the years that I went to school and then taught forty-two. I have too much to do now to go back and answer picky questions. I imagine some Indians had beads in their graves for that matter.

Ms. Williams you are not incorrect. Different tribes had different rituals your area was inhabited by several tribes. Look up the kolomoki Indians in south ga. That large of burial grounds could mean it was a central location to their tribe. Plenty of valuable artifacts were found the Digs so it's highly likely your mounds contained the same. I know of about 3 mounds within 5 miles of my house that had artifacts In them. Everyone associates the native Americans with the mississippian band. Truth is the south east has been inhabited by natives since before Christ. I trust the historians I know and have read.

Thank you M-5. I made it sound like the tools and other things came from the burial site. I know I remember the man saying some things were found at a burial sight next to the river after we had a lot of rain. It probably was a campsite or maybe a little village next to the river where they could trade with others. I was typing fast without thinking through it because I was in a hurry as usual.
I have never been to the mounds in South GA, but would like to go one day, if I can ever work it in my busy schedule.
I enjoyed going to North GA and visiting the Etowah Mounds, Rock Eagle, and on to see where the Trail of Tears started. All of that was very interesting.
When I have time, I plan to call the man with the large collection's wife and talk to her about their excavation at the river. She always went with him.
As I said before, I cannot remember things like I used to. I tell some of my mother's cows all the time that we have seen a lot of winters come and go.

Place we owned in Highlands Tx has some of the first Chinese Tallow trees brought to Texas......What a historical clusterf_ _ _ that was!!

I don't know that it's historical to anyone else but my house was built in the 1880's. The land was given to the lady who built it by my family and it's bounced back and forth from pioneer families every since up until the owner before me. Some of the ground I'm on was first deeded to my family and I'm buying it back a few acres at a time.
As far as indians, I have a few grinding holes and grinders on my ranch where they would grind acorns and I'm told there are a few paintings but where they're at is also where I suspect the lion den is at so I haven't taken the time to go searching on foot.

We find a lot of herty pot pieces, but only one intact pot. We're 1/2 mile from the river where the turpentine was put into the boat to go up to Jacksonville. We've found a few cat faced trees and some old nails at the base of them too.
On Indian artifacts, I found a small fleshing tool made from chert which isn't here, and a large fleshing tool out of chert. Neighbor down the road was diggin a pond with a trac hoe. He had his grandson spread the dirt and a couple days later the kid found a perfectly intact 8"spear point. Also chert.

Neat stories from everyone. I always enjoy hearing about the history of different lands and the stuff found.

Deepsouth":3egwstok said:
This is a very good thread. Very interesting stuff. The only historical thing about our farm is that I grew up here. People come from miles to see it.

No deepsouth, they just lost. They dont want to see your farm. They just cant find hwy 29. :banana:

houstoncutter":4nf1v7ab said:
Place we owned in Highlands Tx has some of the first Chinese Tallow trees brought to Texas......What a historical clusterf_ _ _ that was!!
That SOB that brought those worthless things should be cut, branded and run off.

I have an indian camp on my property. Lots of artifacts can be found in a confined area. Mostly pottery. Its nothing to pick up a handful of pottery shards in just a few minutes. I took my daughter there when she was about three years old and let her pick up pottery and arrowheads (I had a few in my pocket just in case picking was slim). I was telling her about how I've always wanted to find a bird point. I described this to her and how they have always alluded my eyes. About fifteen minutes into our venture she turns to me and asks me if this was a bird point. There in her tiny fingers was the most beautiful bird point I had ever seen. It was perfect and so thin you could almost see through it. Not a nick or a break in it. Wonderful day that was.

Latest posts