Hill Creek Farm on the rise in the Hereford breed

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv4":s8ahot6u said:
But also Muratic you might want to read Camps post about those sorry Braxtons, seems he is putting down that line of genetics.

I did read it...appears to me he is being SARCASTIC!!! I also notice that Mr. Frye did not throw up the epd graphs on the bulls he is talking up. Maybe some of us less computer literate folks here can't work hereford association's epd site.

Hill Creek Farm":2huwoupq said:
So, look out, because Hill Creek Is on the rise

Funny you say that. If you are on your way up so fast...whay can't you be found in the Hereford Association's breeder directory.
Hill Creek Farm
Matt Frye
Edinburg, VA

Something I am missing shy of a breeder #?

Muratic":xakpy658 said:
rgv4":xakpy658 said:
But also Muratic you might want to read Camps post about those sorry Braxtons, seems he is putting down that line of genetics.

I did read it...appears to me he is being SARCASTIC!!! I also notice that Mr. Frye did not throw up the epd graphs on the bulls he is talking up. Maybe some of us less computer literate folks here can't work hereford association's epd site.

Right on Muratic as I run Braxton's.

I don't think you understand your paperwork. There is no way that a herd can average 106% for any trait, when compared only with itself. Maybe it a herd was compared across a nation, but nobody in the breed associations do that. Maybe your bull average 106%?

You better get your understanding of your paperwork figured out before you starting blowin' and goin'.

mtnman

Well, I am going to answer all of your alls questions about the weaning process. This is a new process I have made in my own program. It does not have to do with what the Hereford Association has to say. This system is a new thing, that we developed in our own program and our program only.

Fellersbaroneranch, last years calves weaned off weighing on average of 700 to 710 pounds at 205 days. They were getting feed, while they were still one the cow.

Scotty, I am not a weiny like you said I was. I was just trying to tell everybody that I was sorry if I put down anybodys herd. I did in fact, but I did apologize for my comments.

Muratic, I will say that the Pure Gold daughters are great looking, until they reach about 5 years old and at that age they look like a 15 years cow. I have been told and I have seen it for myself, that Pure Gold has a genetical defect and it has something to do with the aging process of his animals. Hey, he may work good for Coylers and he may work good for you, but he is NEVER coming into my program.

Also, Muratic, I am NOT pushing my herd down anybodys throught, Muratic. Everybody else does not look at it that way. You are just trying to make me look bad, aren't you?
Well, it is not working. All I was doing, was telling how Hill Creek Farm, is getting better and better in genetics. That is it.

Redwhiteface, I have contacted Cindy Coleman and others at the Hereford headquarters and they are still working on getting my site up and working. It will be awhile yet.

Hey, everybody take care! :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":1ecfmnri said:
Well, I am going to answer all of your alls questions about the weaning process. This is a new process I have made in my own program. It does not have to do with what the Hereford Association has to say. This system is a new thing, that we developed in our own program and our program only.

well that's interesting. let me remind you of what you said:

Hill Creek Farm":1ecfmnri said:
Ok. The percentage 106%, is what I recieved last year on my calf crop. Now, that 106%, is what the Hereford breed said it was. It all has to do with how fast they grow, how much feed they are consuming, and the animals weaning weight. These things all have to do, with how the Hereford breed gets that 106%. You may even want to email them and find out how they do get it. :cboy:

now you're telling me it's your own numbers? good, then please explain what 106% means. what are you comparing to?

in that case, i s'pose my weaning weight must be 150% according to my calculations, especially since we have some wean at 700 lbs without creep.

have a good day.

txag":340uxpoz said:
Hill Creek Farm":340uxpoz said:

well that's interesting. let me remind you of what you said:

Hill Creek Farm":340uxpoz said:
Ok. The percentage 106%, is what I recieved last year on my calf crop. Now, that 106%, is what the Hereford breed said it was. It all has to do with how fast they grow, how much feed they are consuming, and the animals weaning weight. These things all have to do, with how the Hereford breed gets that 106%. You may even want to email them and find out how they do get it. :cboy:

now you're telling me it's your own numbers? good, then please explain what 106% means. what are you comparing to?

in that case, i s'pose my weaning weight must be 150% according to my calculations, especially since we have some wean at 700 lbs without creep.

have a good day.

Just wondering. Since you are weaning calves at 700 lbs. I assume that this is about 6 months old. What are these calves finising weights? At what weight will they grade choice or select?

SF":54bnbqd0 said:
Just wondering. Since you are weaning calves at 700 lbs. I assume that this is about 6 months old. What are these calves finising weights? At what weight will they grade choice or select?

those are 205-day weights. registered calves.

we've sold brangus/hereford steers for carcass steers which is as close to retaining ownership & gettting back data that we come & they usually finish around 1200-1300 lbs & none have graded less than med-choice with most of them high-choice to prime.

txag":23qns0n5 said:
SF":23qns0n5 said:

those are 205-day weights. registered calves.

we've sold brangus/hereford steers for carcass steers which is as close to retaining ownership & gettting back data that we come & they usually finish around 1200-1300 lbs & none have graded less than med-choice with most of them high-choice to prime.

Nice weaning weights.

SF":1nobwk1d said:
Nice weaning weights.

thank you, SF. that was my point to Hill Creek earlier about having a good cow base. if you have good, functional, proven cows that can raise a calf, you can breed them to almost anything, including the "show bull of the moment" and still come out ok.

Hill Creek Farm":2ii8e5n1 said:
Redwhiteface, I have contacted Cindy Coleman and others at the Hereford headquarters and they are still working on getting my site up and working. It will be awhile yet.

Matt, I think what redwhiteface is getting at is that if you are a member of the AHA we should be able to type in even just your state and it will show you or your farm name and contact info. That doesn't even work. So, as far as the AHA is concerned, you are not a member. It has nothing to do with a "site" at all. You are just flat out not listed as a member of the association at all.

I would still like to see how your EPD's stack up against Braxton Giant 1 Line. Come on put them out there let the jury decide. I will take a low birth weight calf that can be born unassisted everytime over adjusted weaning weights. I sell live calfs at the salebarn not adjusted weaning weights.
I am sure you have very fine cattle but lets use the AHA numbers not yours.

I'm digging out my creepy crawler set and preform me some cattle. I'll throw some Piedmontese in there for extra muscle and get that weaning weight up to 110%. I ain't playin'.

Hey Certfherbeef. I am a member, because I pay my dues every year and I have a registration number. Let me give that to you. It works for me. Type in 7518707. That is my registration number. I want everybody to look up this animal of mine. Her name is RRF BROOKE 904. We are selling her and she is one of our best animals here at Hill Creek. Another animal we love a lot and she is still a heifer, due any day, her name is PBC Cassie 727 N003. She is a sweet looking thing. Great animals. Let me know what you all think of these animals. You all to care and God Bless. :cboy:

I just spent the last 30 minutes reading all the statements, comments, remarks, insults, and bragging associated with the Hereford breeders. Specifically, the issue surrounding one breeders attempt to talk about the direction he has chosen for his program. I must say that I had hoped a better example would be set by indiviuals dedicated to improving the breed and the breeds reputation, and that we would not be so quick to judge inexperience. I think each person has the right to his or her own opinions without being barrated by everyone else. I also think lessons are sometimes best learned through trial and error, despite honest attempts of the more experienced breeders to provide reasonable advice. I think many of us have been down the roads that help us see the error of our ways, and in turn we have learned to be more practical in our approach, but some of us must still learn those lessons. They will realize that breeding good stock is not about making money on the popularity of the animal, or how well they do in the show ring, or even whats on paper. It's most certainly not about taking a fool for his money either. I think it's about protecting the integrity of the Hereford breed by breeding them to be fertile, functional and efficient. This takes time, requires more than just a monetary investment, and should include an honest evaluation of your cattle along with data collection in a contemporary enviroment.

Member/s not found in database. Adjust selection criteria and try again. You entered: Breeder No: starts with 7518707, Breeder Type: Both,

You might want to contact the AHA as I can't pull it up either.

I still want to see that bad bulls epds

Campground Cattle":2z3c1k8b said:
Member/s not found in database. Adjust selection criteria and try again. You entered: Breeder No: starts with 7518707, Breeder Type: Both,

I got the same thing.

Ryan":3jyduuut said:
Campground Cattle":3jyduuut said:

I got the same thing.

Made up numbers, maybe the old boy made up his own association too?

The two cows show up, just not the breeder number. I simply have no opinion of your cows. The important thing is that you like them. I'm sure others will too. I'm not as big a believer in EPD's as some are. I think that EPD's can only tell a small portion of the story. What I'm looking for in a cow is one that weans a calf every year. Provides adequate milk while maintaining conditioning. Etc., etc., etc.,

Have a nice day

Latest posts