Hill Creek Farm on the rise in the Hereford breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Ollie, let me tell you something. You need to find out just who has sold bulls to Semex, ABS, or Genex, because I think NO body on this board has done that. I have a bull calf right know, that is going to probably Select Sires. Don't you be telling me to TONE it down. I am proud of my herd, and I will personally say whatever I got to say about it. YOu probably don't even know how much money and time and labor I have spent to get to where I am now. And if I want to talk about how great my herd is, then I will, without listening to what you have to say. And that goes for everybody else. Everybody else talks about there herd and shows off there cattle with pictures and if I want to I am going to do the same thing. Ollie just shut your mouth and can it! :mad:

Hill Creek Farm:

There is no need to get hateful. No one is running down your operation. If you think you are the only person on this board that has spent lots of money and time building up their operation then, you are either nieve as the day is long or just plain arrogant. No one likes a braggart. There is a fine line between pride and bragging. Just curiously, why is it that you think no one on this board has ever sold a bull to a semen company? I know a guy here locally that has a bull with lots of semen out there and another guy down the road that sells way more semen then one producer could ever use, and neither of them are braggarts. They are proud of what they own, but they also realize that bragging about how their herd is better than everyone else's is not going to sell bulls or semen. The old saying goes, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar (or something like that) Just remember, no matter how good you think your stuff is, there is always somebody out there that has something better.

You may have heard of the one guy. His name is Jim Reed.

I'm still waiting for the explanation of a Weaning %age of 106.

Is that # of calves, or is that WW ratio? Pretty obvious to me that if someone has a WW %age of 106 that they must only have a handful of cows, since cows don't produce twins very often.

mtnman

Hill Creek Farm":1t07mdxf said:
Ollie, let me tell you something. You need to find out just who has sold bulls to Semex, ABS, or Genex, because I think NO body on this board has done that. I have a bull calf right know, that is going to probably Select Sires. Don't you be telling me to TONE it down. I am proud of my herd, and I will personally say whatever I got to say about it. YOu probably don't even know how much money and time and labor I have spent to get to where I am now. And if I want to talk about how great my herd is, then I will, without listening to what you have to say. And that goes for everybody else. Everybody else talks about there herd and shows off there cattle with pictures and if I want to I am going to do the same thing. Ollie just shut your mouth and can it! :mad:

How do you know who has and who hasn't sold bulls to the AI companies? Do you know everybody on here personally? I can assure you that there are many, many bigger breeders than you on here. Let me ask you something. How can you go on even thinking about posting on here after you make yourself look like a baby by arguing with everyone and posting all these crazy posts. It seems like it would be a little awkward now. You may have to really redeem yourself. Maybe you should think about what kind of stuff you post and what kind of reactions its gonna get.

Hill Creek Farm":1eun247g said:
Not only are my statements factual but I know personally of two breed association board members. Do you think one of them could be your breed? :shock:

ollie":25woqzo9 said:
Hill Creek Farm":25woqzo9 said:
Not only are my statements factual but I know personally of two breed association board members. Do you think one of them could be your breed? :shock:

Maybe he was referring to the people that replied to his original post, you know the ones that were criticizing his percentage numbers and his enthusiasm about his new program and the way that he was talking about it. Not about the people that they know who have sold bulls to the semen companies.

OK. So I went a little overboard this morning. I am not the best breeder in the world. I am not the best breeder in the nation. Now, I think if we all put our heads together we could think up some great ideas for marketing our own herd cattle. I think that we all could get together and maybe start our own webpage and have all of our cattle own that page? We could even have a production sale, and sale our cattle and list it in the Hereford World? I think, if we all use our heads, we would be better than just one, using our heads. :idea:

rgv4":svvu8qgu said:
ollie":svvu8qgu said:
Hill Creek Farm":svvu8qgu said:

Maybe he was referring to the people that replied to his original post, you know the ones that were criticizing his percentage numbers and his enthusiasm about his new program and the way that he was talking about it. Not about the people that they know who have sold bulls to the semen companies.
Since you seem to understand him RGV4 please explain the 106%

Hill Creek Farm":22nz7mq9 said:
OK. So I went a little overboard this morning. I am not the best breeder in the world. I am not the best breeder in the nation. Now, I think if we all put our heads together we could think up some great ideas for marketing our own herd cattle. I think that we all could get together and maybe start our own webpage and have all of our cattle own that page? We could even have a production sale, and sale our cattle and list it in the Hereford World? I think, if we all use our heads, we would be better than just one, using our heads. :idea:

wow, thanks Hill Creek. if you're serious & that's not sarcasm, nice post & nice attitude.

i'm not picking on you, btw, but i'd still like to know how you came up with that 106%

Ollie, sorry for putting you down and to everybody else, I am sorry for the negative remarks that I made. Now lets banned together to promote the Hereford Breed.

I know Jim Reed. Good friend and a great person to talk with. One of his sires RF POSTIVE PLUS 73C, makes some great animals.

Lets start thinking about what We can do to promtoe the Hereford Breed. How can we make it better and we could advertise it everywhere. Send ranchers and farmers emails, talking about the Hereford breed and how great it really is. Like we could say "One Hereford Bull, can change your calf crop into a thicker animal," or something like that. Lets start thinking! :idea:

Ok. The percentage 106%, is what I recieved last year on my calf crop. Now, that 106%, is what the Hereford breed said it was. It all has to do with how fast they grow, how much feed they are consuming, and the animals weaning weight. These things all have to do, with how the Hereford breed gets that 106%. You may even want to email them and find out how they do get it. :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":2a0y0zbc said:
Ollie, sorry for putting you down
No problem. I am use to it. Good luck with your plans. Some of my best friends are hereford breeders. I will pass your plans along to them as you post them.

Hill Creek Farm":t8zf5ru9 said:
Ok. The percentage 106%, is what I recieved last year on my calf crop. Now, that 106%, is what the Hereford breed said it was. It all has to do with how fast they grow, how much feed they are consuming, and the animals weaning weight. These things all have to do, with how the Hereford breed gets that 106%. You may even want to email them and find out how they do get it. :cboy:

What were the weaning weights of your calves?

Hill Creek Farm":qyfisjk5 said:

ok, i still don't understand where you got that number. i'm not picking on you, i just think you need to make sure you have your information straight when advertising & throwing around numbers. where did you find that number on your weaning worksheets? also, what does that number mean? 106% of your cows weaned calves? your calves were 106% heavier than the average calf crop in the US? i'd like to know because maybe this is a number i can use when promoting my own herd. i've often promoted individual animals w/ratios but never my whole herd.

the percentages they give you are within herd ratios. if you have a cow at 106%, you also have one at 94% or two at 97% or six at 99%, etc. the percentages are for single cows and not for the whole group. it's only comparing your own animals to each other & not to anyone else's.

fyi: i took your advice & just called AHA to question them & they have no idea what you're talking about.

Hill Creek Farm":11kx81m2 said:
Ollie, sorry for putting you down and to everybody else, I am sorry for the negative remarks that I made. Now lets banned together to promote the Hereford Breed.

I know Jim Reed. Good friend and a great person to talk with. One of his sires RF POSTIVE PLUS 73C, makes some great animals.

Lets start thinking about what We can do to promtoe the Hereford Breed. How can we make it better and we could advertise it everywhere. Send ranchers and farmers emails, talking about the Hereford breed and how great it really is. Like we could say "One Hereford Bull, can change your calf crop into a thicker animal," or something like that. Lets start thinking! :idea:

Man what a weiny. Stick to your guns and don't appologize if you feel you have not been wrong. This is my opinion and only that. So I could be wrong. Reading these it sounds like you and others had a miscomunication(sp). Its hard to read tone and feeling on this type of a forum. Also hard to know the true intent of a statement without seeing someone when they say it. I used to let some things people and especially the GURUS on this board get to me. I try to answer if I can the best way and hope it helps. Set me right if I am wrong Macon. But if you post 1000 times you are a GURU. Several of them are GURUs of this profession but several have given my answers of "yep" and "nope" and that went towards their total. Good luck with your venture. Sorry I wont' buy any of your cattle since I don't do Herefords. Nothing personal. ;-)

Scotty

Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy!! I'm not sure your appologies are gonna cut it this time. You see: there are many, many excellent breeders on this forum. Most commercial, many purebred. You really shouldn't come on here and tell someone you HATE the particular line of genetics that he has chosen to use and that works for him. I'm not a purebred breeder. And I don't show. So, I am an insider looking into your world. The way I read your posts is the same way txag, camp, and ollie and most everyone else did. You are using this forum to promote and push your herd down our throughts. It doesn't taste very good. And quite frankly some of us are choking on it.

Below is one of your first posts. I bet Coyler would be real interested in knowing how Matt Frye talks about one of his most profitible bulls. You preach the showring. Well from what I have read, Pure-Gold has gotten it done.

I'm sure you are a subscriber to the Hereford World. Please take out a full page, color ad in the sire directory issue. From what I read in the last tabloid issue there may still be time. Please make your sales pitch to the Hereford Folks in the sire issue. Macon has an excellent classified section on this site. Please use it like the rest of us do and respect Macon's wishes and do not push your herd on this forum any more. Please post some pictures for us to see your cows and then let us judge for ourselves if we want to buy a flush. But we will e-mail or PM you with our intrest.

Hill Creek Farm":34tj5ol7 said:
I am using three bulls right know artifically. I am using FELOTNS DOMINO 774, REMITALL HIGHWAY 147H ET, FELTONS MAGNUM 434, and RF POSTIVE PLUS 73C. These are some goods sires right here. I hope you don't you C-S PURE GOLD. I have seen the bull in person, he looks nice on the outside, but he is a disappointment on the inside.

You do not have to take my advice, but I wouldn't use him if he were the last resort.

Hill Creek Farm

Have a good day, Muratic

ollie":2uq85e7i said:
rgv4":2uq85e7i said:
Since you seem to understand him RGV4 please explain the 106%

I can't explain it, first of all I don't have all the info. on the calves. Second of all I don't run Hereford's anymore, haven't in many many years. Third, the only epd number's that I go by are calving ease. Then I + or - 1 to 2. There are too many factors in determining the other numbers, rancher fudges on weights to make them look better, drought conditions, pasture conditions, reported as being pasture grazed from weaning to yearling when really fed grain so yearling weight wrong, the list goes on and on and on.

Also, as pointed out above by Muratic, most on this board are commericial not purebred, perhaps that is why he stated that no one on the boards had sold a bull to a semen company.

But also Muratic you might want to read Camps post about those sorry Braxtons, seems he is putting down that line of genetics.

Latest posts