Hi, I am new to this board

Help Support CattleToday:

Ginnee

Reaction score
HI,

We are organic farmers in southern Costa Rica, beyond Turrialba. We have about 25 head of Brahman and a Swiss Pardo bull, we are breeding a dual milk and meat herd. You can see our place at http://www.costaricamountain.blogspot.com

My husband is a nurseryman and we grow organic tropical veggies and fruit, bamboo, cows, chickens, horses and lots of dogs on our rainforest farm. We plant by the biodynamic calendar and try to give all of our animals the good life.

I am glad my friend Dana (also in Costa Rica) told me about this site. Thanks Dana!

Ginnee

Welcome to the boards Ginnee. Your pictures are beautiful, the one with the purple/pink hue of the sky was fabulous..

tncattle467":1iq1rnst said:
hmmmmm, would not answer about the chemical fertilizer of any type deal. Must use fertilizer which means it aint organic.
That's quite a conclusion to jump to even for you. Could be as simple as she hasn;t been back on line since then. Naw, that's to simple of an explanation

tncattle467":1y5ulsl6 said:
dun":1y5ulsl6 said:
tncattle467":1y5ulsl6 said:
hmmmmm, would not answer about the chemical fertilizer of any type deal. Must use fertilizer which means it aint organic.
That's quite a conclusion to jump to even for you. Could be as simple as she hasn;t been back on line since then. Naw, that's to simple of an explanation

That is a possibility. Not everyone is on here all the time. I sure am not. I was just wondering because I have caught several people claiming to be organic that used chemical fertilizers on their grass and or used corn by products to feed their cattle and claimed they were organic. Organic means, no fertilizer, no corn based by products, no weed spray, nothing. If any of that is deviated from then they are not organic and the farmer is misleading the public/their customers. Here recently while in Knoxville visiting a relative I heard an add on the radio for organic beef and called into the station to check about it and played dumb and asked a lot of questions. I asked the lady who was claiming that her cattle were organic what she fed them and she said grass and hay. I said were chemical fertilizers used on either the grass or the hay? She said not the grass but we dont know about the hay. I said then you cant sit there and say it is organic until you are completely sure. There was dead silence and the radio guy said we have to go to commercial and then when they came back from the commercial it was music they were no longer talking about it. I'll bet that put a dent in her wallet LOL!

BS

If you clickon the posters name it will display their profile which includes when they last visited the boards

tncattle467":1cjmf8cz said:
Seems to be real easy to find faults in others. I find it a lot more productive working on my own.

tn467, you ort to be working for the FBI or something! You're like the master interrogator, man! Keep on being awesome! :D

tncattle467":6k03efou said:
[
That is a possibility. Not everyone is on here all the time. I sure am not. I was just wondering because I have caught several people claiming to be organic that used chemical fertilizers on their grass and or used corn by products to feed their cattle and claimed they were organic. Organic means, no fertilizer, no corn based by products, no weed spray, nothing. If any of that is deviated from then they are not organic and the farmer is misleading the public/their customers. Here recently while in Knoxville visiting a relative I heard an add on the radio for organic beef and called into the station to check about it and played dumb and asked a lot of questions. I asked the lady who was claiming that her cattle were organic what she fed them and she said grass and hay. I said were chemical fertilizers used on either the grass or the hay? She said not the grass but we dont know about the hay. I said then you cant sit there and say it is organic until you are completely sure. There was dead silence and the radio guy said we have to go to commercial and then when they came back from the commercial it was music they were no longer talking about it. I'll bet that put a dent in her wallet LOL!

BS[/quote]

And you would know that is BS how? Were you there with me? I think you need to keep your mouth/trap shut before you have open it without all the facts.

USDA Certified Organic. Beef is raised on grass or grain-based feed that does not contain animal by-products. Animals are never given antibiotics (unless required by a veterinarian, and then the animal loses organic status) or growth hormones. Cattle also must have "conditions which allow for exercise, freedom of movement, and reduction of stress appropriate to the species" and "access to pasture" —vague terms that leave room for a wide range of interpretation by the grower. Still, the standards are the strictest currently available.

Latest posts