Hey Caustic B., you better hurry on over

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan":1mb0zf5c said:
Okay time for some smart, common sense thinking, nobody has mention..... and I'm really shocked and disappointed about this, and yes a little pi$$ED :mad: . What kind of dumb a$$ would put his 4, 5 or 6 year old kid on the back of a bull to show how gentle it is?

Get smart or get out,
Alan
That is the first thing I thought Alan then I looked at the bull

Alan":2brje3mm said:
Okay time for some smart, common sense thinking, nobody has mention..... and I'm really shocked and disappointed about this, and yes a little pi$$ED :mad: . What kind of dumb a$$ would put his 4, 5 or 6 year old kid on the back of a bull to show how gentle it is?

Get smart or get out,
Alan

Why bother having kids if you can't risk their little lives in order to try to make a few bucks??? You can always make more.

Gelbvieh 5":12e4ai2h said:
Alan":12e4ai2h said:

Get smart or get out,
Alan

I agree. They should be arrested for reckless endangerment.

Actually I was being sarcastic about it my post earlier as I do think that is wrong.

Why bother having kids if you can't risk their little lives in order to try to make a few bucks??? You can always make more.
More money or more kids as some people think the latter.. :?

Angus Cowman":2twu3zfd said:
Alan":2twu3zfd said:

Get smart or get out,
Alan
That is the first thing I thought Alan then I looked at the bull

Obviously the same kind that would use a bull like that till he's 6 years old and then try to sell it for a rediculous price!

I say , If the bull is a pure Black Angus, there might be reasons that he might look so bad. Although he does look this bad his genetic could be good. I would also bet that a pure B. Angus of any condition would make LHs better beef animals...I sure there is the exception.. Now I am sure the LHs breeders want agree but, BLACK HIDE AND NO HORNS MAKES THEM THERE LHs better beef animals . AS far as the gelbvies no expert, have seen a few... I seen a few of the Euro Breeds show there faces in the last 40 years, watched them come and go..Chars, simms , Limms, gel, mains, etc. each being the lastest and the greast only to be replaced by the next. The hole time Black Angus only got more poupler, and all them breeds turned black because of angus genetics ....There are even Black Char and herefords... NOW ... this bull may be a poor example but I had reather use him on my herd than any con. and dang sure more than a Longhorn of any kind...

Now why is a 6 yr old bull not worth 1500 $ ? Not this bull but any 6 yr. old?

alftn":y204xyxa said:
FFirst of all he's not asking 1500

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I don't care.I've ridden my show bulls and steers and I've had kids on the back of my show bulls that were quiet, they love it and it gives them something to be excited about for a while. I'm right there next to them, as this child's father is, if anything happens. It even looks like the father has his hand right there on the shoulders. I wouldn't go and put them on an animal that wasn't bomb proof though. Even if this bull was on a lead, if it truly wanted to do something the lead wouldn't stop him. Lets face it, even as handlers, if you were hanging onto a bull with a halter, if it really wanted to do something, there is no way in hell you could stop it. So who are we to go and judge this person. We don't know how quiet the animal is. It's no different to sitting a kid up on a horse ffs.

aussie_cowgirl":2om9maeq said:
Even if this bull was on a lead, if it truly wanted to do something the lead wouldn't stop him.

Exactly, and if a horse fly bit this bull or the neighbor's bull bellowed a challenge and he responded by bucking, this kid flys 30 feet in the air. I am not condemning the dad, but there are risks in doing what he is doing. Is it an "acceptable risk"? There seems to be some debate there.

Brandonm22":301ghqsr said:
aussie_cowgirl":301ghqsr said:
Even if this bull was on a lead, if it truly wanted to do something the lead wouldn't stop him.

Exactly, and if a horse fly bit this bull or the neighbor's bull bellowed a challenge and he responded by bucking, this kid flys 30 feet in the air. I am not condemning the dad, but there are risks in doing what he is doing. Is it an "acceptable risk"? There seems to be some debate there.

But then what about having kids around dogs? a hair pull or even something simpler could mean a kid is mauled. IMO there is no difference.

aussie_cowgirl":19t34af3 said:
But then what about having kids around dogs? a hair pull or even something simpler could mean a kid is mauled. IMO there is no difference.

The difference is I can kick a 40 pound dog in the ribs about 20 foot if I were really mad. I can kick the bull too.....about .002 seconds before he knocks my block off. I don't think anybody is saying NEVER put your 4 year old on the back of a six year old herd bull, six hundred pound boar hog, wolverine, or mountain lion just that before you do you need to ask yourself if the rewards of doing this successfully are really worth the risk of something bad happening.

If a dog can maul a grown man I'm sure kicking it won't do much either in the heat of the moment, and a mauling can happen in a split second. The point I'm bringing up Brandon is the hypocrisy of the sorts of comments made. I'm not saying that it's right to put a kid on a 6yr old bull, what I'm saying is it's no different to any other child-animal interactions that happen on a daily basis. And the same question your asking 'is the reward of this worth the potential risk?" needs to be asked in any situation regarding animals and children, no matter what species.

aussie_cowgirl":1eumi8pw said:
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I don't care.I've ridden my show bulls and steers and I've had kids on the back of my show bulls that were quiet, they love it and it gives them something to be excited about for a while. I'm right there next to them, as this child's father is, if anything happens. It even looks like the father has his hand right there on the shoulders. I wouldn't go and put them on an animal that wasn't bomb proof though. Even if this bull was on a lead, if it truly wanted to do something the lead wouldn't stop him. Lets face it, even as handlers, if you were hanging onto a bull with a halter, if it really wanted to do something, there is no way in be nice you could stop it. So who are we to go and judge this person. We don't know how quiet the animal is. It's no different to sitting a kid up on a horse ffs.

No such thing as a bomb proof 1000lb animal. I'm going to try not to get too personal, but I think you're not looking at the picture correctly. You can't compare a small kid sitting on a bull (with or without a halter) like a kid sitting on a horse or dog. The huge difference is the balls. We have 2 grand kids 3 and 5, I would never think of sitting them on a bull and never set one on one of my stallions. I would however put them on (with me at the halter and their dad at their side) my 12 yr old show mare or my 9 yr old gelding. Big difference between sitting a kid on the back of a horse that has been train to be ridden and a 2000 lb bull in the middle of the pasture. No such thing as bomb proof... any horse (bull) any day!

As far as dogs go, you can't compare a 40lb dog to a bull, first I can control a mauling dog for a lot longer than I can control a mauling bull. Also, I would hope that most folks are smart enough to know which dogs to keep away from kids too young to understand the words "that dog is mean and will bite you, don't go around him"..... :roll:

JMO,
Alan

alftn":3gj6f53a said:

Bulls are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Some people may use a bull for ten years, but, generally, a six year old bull is nearing the end of his productive life. Around here you can buy well bred, young Angus bulls for $1750 and on up to whatever you're willing to pay.

This bull probably should go to the sale barn for slaughter, but is apparently a family pet and they don't want to do that. I understand the feeling. We've got some older cows that will go later this month when we wean the calves. :(

Gelbvieh 5":1h4z1fii said:
Gelvies......How many years did you spend in the 3 grade. I know I can't spell conesewer but you make me look like some kinda knowledger.

Oh, and did I forget your syntax and grammer are also top shelf.

For the record I am still waiting for an opportunity to BANG on one of Frankies BLACK angus, but I have yet to see a picture of one posted here for review I guess I will just have to keep waiting.

BTW they better be real good herefords to overcome that sorry sunofagun's genetics.

I've posted cattle photos on these boards. I guess they were so good you didn't "BANG" on them? :lol: :lol:

Or perhaps you did under another name? :?:

Here are the highlights from another Angus article:

MAYBE THERE IS A REASON (OR 10):

1. Market value of calves
2. Market value of fed cattle
3. The CAB Effect
4. Grid Marketing Drives Change
5. Emerging Added Value of Quality Grade
6. Straightbreds Outgain Crosses In the Feedlot
7. Straightbred Calves Are Healthier
8. Convenience
9. Reduced Animal and Carcass Variability
10. Heterosis is Not Free

It's a few years old, but you can find the entire article is at: http://www.cabpartners.com/news/publish ... 2F975E.pdf

Alan":3urztq6q said:
aussie_cowgirl":3urztq6q said:
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I don't care.I've ridden my show bulls and steers and I've had kids on the back of my show bulls that were quiet, they love it and it gives them something to be excited about for a while. I'm right there next to them, as this child's father is, if anything happens. It even looks like the father has his hand right there on the shoulders. I wouldn't go and put them on an animal that wasn't bomb proof though. Even if this bull was on a lead, if it truly wanted to do something the lead wouldn't stop him. Lets face it, even as handlers, if you were hanging onto a bull with a halter, if it really wanted to do something, there is no way in be nice you could stop it. So who are we to go and judge this person. We don't know how quiet the animal is. It's no different to sitting a kid up on a horse ffs.

No such thing as a bomb proof 1000lb animal. I'm going to try not to get too personal, but I think you're not looking at the picture correctly. You can't compare a small kid sitting on a bull (with or without a halter) like a kid sitting on a horse or dog. The huge difference is the balls. We have 2 grand kids 3 and 5, I would never think of sitting them on a bull and never set one on one of my stallions. I would however put them on (with me at the halter and their dad at their side) my 12 yr old show mare or my 9 yr old gelding. Big difference between sitting a kid on the back of a horse that has been train to be ridden and a 2000 lb bull in the middle of the pasture. No such thing as bomb proof... any horse (bull) any day!

As far as dogs go, you can't compare a 40lb dog to a bull, first I can control a mauling dog for a lot longer than I can control a mauling bull. Also, I would hope that most folks are smart enough to know which dogs to keep away from kids too young to understand the words "that dog is mean and will bite you, don't go around him"..... :roll:

JMO,
Alan

You have gotta be joking. I would rather myself be on a bull than a cow, I have been attacked more times by cows than I have bulls. Balls have nothing to do with it. A carnivorous animal that is made to bring down an animal many times it's own weight is definitely an equal threat. How do you know that bull hasn't been trained to ride? And regardless of training any animal is still an ANIMAL. I don't care if it is a horse, bull, camel, dog, anything. IMO people are careless with children and any animal. I guess we have just become used to certain animals.

A dog was put on the Calvert County dangerous dog list recently after it jumped up and bit an oil delivery man on the face when he was trying to give a customer a receipt.

"He had a multitude of stitches on his face," more than 100, said Adele Maguire, the man's mother. The dog ripped out pieces of his upper and lower lip, she said.

Employed by Griffith Oil, Rob Maguire of Broomes Island said when a customer opened his Dunkirk home's front door after Maguire knocked to hand over the receipt, "the dog just leaped up and got me on the left side of my face.

"I had no time to turn my head," he said. Maguire said the dog, which was at first thought to be a pit bull, bit out pieces of his upper and lower lip when it bit his face.

"It took me a minute to realize I had been bitten. Then I realized I was bleeding. I was in shock. "

Maguire said he had been to the house to deliver heating oil several times in the past, but he had never seen a dog.

The dog, registered as an American Staffordshire terrier, weighs 56 pounds. The American Staffordshire terrier resembles what is considered its cousin, the American pit bull terrier.

The dog that attacked Maguire was added to the county's dangerous dog list per the recommendation of the Animal Control Officer who responded to the scene, according to the Calvert County Sheriff's Office.

"It was largely my fault. I opened the door and the dog pushed out," said Barry Harbison, the father of the owner of the dog. The owner was at work at the time of the incident. The dog, which normally is kept in a kennel, had never done anything like this before, Harbison said, adding "I was extremely surprised."

The 2 -year-old dog was never trained to attack, he said. "I guess it's their nature."

Brandon Harbison, who said he has known the dog since it was born, said, "We don't know what caused it."

The dog has never shown any aggression toward any human beings, he said. The dog, Honey, is trained to sit and stay and has shown just playfulness, he added.

"The only thing she barks at is a squirrel," Brandon Harbison said. "When I got the call I came rushing home," he said, adding that it was totally unexpected.

This was a dog that didn't have a history of aggressiveness.

Also I might just state that I'm not defending the man letting his kid sit on the bull, the point that I'm trying to make is it's no different to having children around other kinds of animals. And I just find it hypocritical that with no background info on this image people are making judgement that it is a terrible thing and it's poor parenting when 95% plus of you would put children in potential danger with animals every day (horses, dogs, cats etc), which I don't mean as my own judgement or criticism, as I have mentioned I have done it before myself. I only meant to illustrate the fact that interactions and the potential danger between animals and children is an issue that most people seem oblivious or blinkered to. Again, I am not criticising anyone, merely making an observational statement. JMO.

aussie_cowgirl":3ku9ienm said:
Alan":3ku9ienm said:
aussie_cowgirl":3ku9ienm said:

JMO,
Alan

You have gotta be joking. I would rather myself be on a bull than a cow, I have been attacked more times by cows than I have bulls.

Where did I say I would put a 6 yr old on a cow? Did I ever say cow couldn't be aggressive? Balls have a lot to do... Every hear of testosterone?

Balls have nothing to do with it

:roll: :roll: :roll: Which would you consider a safer animal, a gelding or a stallion, a bull or a steer, a neutered dog or a intact male? You're saying bulls can be safe to sit on, I'm saying that is a bunch of cr@p. When I sit my young granddaughters on my VERY well trained Mare and Gelding I still have an eagle eye, they have their bike helmets on and dad is right at their side and I have hold of the horses halter. I would never consider having them near a bull, let alone on one, ANY BULL. How can you justify comparing a bull to a dog? If you get into a bad situation which one have you got a better chance with, an attack from a 2000lb bull or an attack from a 40 lb dog? Yes kids get mauled by dogs, but the fault usually lays with more than the dog.... a kid that teases the dog, a bad owner.... there is usually more to the story. A bull is not a dog and young kids do not belong on a bulls back! You sound old enough that you can make your own decisions, if you want to ride around on your bull knock yourself out..... who knows enough times playing with your bull you might.

Alan

aussie_cowgirl":3xw4bm3k said:
Maguire said he had been to the house to deliver heating oil several times in the past, but he had never seen a dog.

The dog, registered as an American Staffordshire terrier, weighs 56 pounds. The American Staffordshire terrier resembles what is considered its cousin, the American pit bull terrier.

First of all taking strange dudes out is the dog's job. Big difference between biting some intruder and biting family members. You kinda expect a dog to differentiate between the two. Secondly it is a pit bull or (pit bull cousin). Dog fighting is pretty popular around here and a fellow who used to breed those things worked for me. My kid would be posing for pics on the back of my bull before he posed on the back of a pit bull.

Latest posts