herford

Help Support CattleToday:

OP
A

Anonymous

> is it any differce in horned &
> polled herford beside
> horns?`````thanks~~~tc

Herefords are generally better and more hardier than Polled Herefords,we have found that Polled cattle of most breeds do not seem to do as well as those that are horned. The only exception is breeds that are always polled like Angus.The best way we have found to breed polled cattle with substance is to have horned genetics in their pedigree. This will occasionally give you a horned animal but what the heck if it increases productivity. Do all Americans miss spell Hereford or is it a different breed in your country? The English would be annoyed that their beloved Hereford is spelt a different way than it is meant to.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Herefords are generally better and
> more hardier than Polled
> Herefords,we have found that
> Polled cattle of most breeds do
> not seem to do as well as those
> that are horned. The only
> exception is breeds that are
> always polled like Angus.The best
> way we have found to breed polled
> cattle with substance is to have
> horned genetics in their pedigree.
> This will occasionally give you a
> horned animal but what the heck if
> it increases productivity. Do all
> Americans miss spell Hereford or
> is it a different breed in your
> country? The English would be
> annoyed that their beloved
> Hereford is spelt a different way
> than it is meant to.

Okay Colin, just for giggles I'll try to give you an idea of the Southern Mississippi pronunciation of 'Hereford'.......hurrr-furred or her-ferd. Any yes, we do commonly mis-spell the word.....just out of curiosity, is it properly said with three sylables? He-re-ford?



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Okay Colin, just for giggles I'll
> try to give you an idea of the
> Southern Mississippi pronunciation
> of 'Hereford'.......hurrr-furred
> or her-ferd. Any yes, we do
> commonly mis-spell the
> word.....just out of curiosity, is
> it properly said with three
> sylables? He-re-ford?

"Herra ferd" is how most Australians would say it.I have an aunty born in Montana she says "Herford" I never correct her as I know what she's talking about. Another one to run by you, that I see written frequently on this board is Charolais commonly spelt incorrectly. I realise that people in the USA spell lots of things differently than us.Americans do spell lots of things phonetically and drop lots of letters. Best Wishes Colin



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

>
> Another one to run
> by you, that I see written
> frequently on this board is
> Charolais commonly spelt
> incorrectly. I realise that people
> in the USA spell lots of things
> differently than us.Americans do
> spell lots of things phonetically
> and drop lots of letters. Best
> Wishes Colin

Charolais. In the deep south, where accents are decidedly strong-----'char' (rhymes with far), and 'lay'. The accents vary widely (and wildly) across the continent. It took me a long time to understand the Deep Southern accent when I first moved here, but I have since developed an accent of my own. another for the Henry Higgins files: Brahman pronounced 'brimmer'.

To the board in general: Sorry about the non-bovine discussion.

Regards, Becca

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I remember when the large continental red and white cattle were spelled Simmenthal, now it seems to be the thing to drop the "h"

dun

> "Herra ferd" is how most
> Australians would say it.I have an
> aunty born in Montana she says
> "Herford" I never
> correct her as I know what she's
> talking about. Another one to run
> by you, that I see written
> frequently on this board is
> Charolais commonly spelt
> incorrectly. I realise that people
> in the USA spell lots of things
> differently than us.Americans do
> spell lots of things phonetically
> and drop lots of letters. Best
> Wishes Colin
 
OP
A

Anonymous

The reason polled animals from basicly horned breeds would be inferior to the horned is because of the criteria being used for selection, i.e. polled. If polled animals are judged equally with horned you will find them to be both pretty much the same. Being polled should be just a side benefit and not a hard and fast selection trait. There are Polled Herefords out there that are every bit as good as horned., you just need to look for them.

dun

> Herefords are generally better and
> more hardier than Polled
> Herefords,we have found that
> Polled cattle of most breeds do
> not seem to do as well as those
> that are horned. The only
> exception is breeds that are
> always polled like Angus.The best
> way we have found to breed polled
> cattle with substance is to have
> horned genetics in their pedigree.
> This will occasionally give you a
> horned animal but what the heck if
> it increases productivity. Do all
> Americans miss spell Hereford or
> is it a different breed in your
> country? The English would be
> annoyed that their beloved
> Hereford is spelt a different way
> than it is meant to.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> "Herra ferd" is how most
> Australians would say it.I have an
> aunty born in Montana she says
> "Herford" I never
> correct her as I know what she's
> talking about. Another one to run
> by you, that I see written
> frequently on this board is
> Charolais commonly spelt
> incorrectly. I realise that people
> in the USA spell lots of things
> differently than us.Americans do
> spell lots of things phonetically
> and drop lots of letters. Best
> Wishes Colin As a teacher in a small Southeast Missouri community, I can certainly identify with the problems associated with teaching kids to read phonetically. Their spelling is horrible. Hey, if phonics is such a great thing, why isn't it spelled the way it sounds?

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Charolais. In the deep south,
> where accents are decidedly
> strong-----'char' (rhymes with
> far), and 'lay'. The accents vary
> widely (and wildly) across the
> continent. It took me a long time
> to understand the Deep Southern
> accent when I first moved here,
> but I have since developed an
> accent of my own. another for the
> Henry Higgins files: Brahman
> pronounced 'brimmer'.

> To the board in general: Sorry
> about the non-bovine discussion.

> Regards, Becca Anyway we've given the Angus a break,be they good or bad. Colin

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> "Herra ferd" is how most
> Australians would say it.I have an
> aunty born in Montana she says
> "Herford" I never
> correct her as I know what she's
> talking about. Another one to run
> by you, that I see written
> frequently on this board is
> Charolais commonly spelt
> incorrectly. I realise that people
> in the USA spell lots of things
> differently than us.Americans do
> spell lots of things phonetically
> and drop lots of letters. Best
> Wishes Colin I thought spelt is a type of wheat and spelled is the past tense of spell. Are the two words interchangable? Also I noticed the Canadians include you (u) in neighbour, The Americans do not. LOL



[email protected]
 

Latest posts

Top