Angus/Herford females

Help Support CattleToday:

Anguscattle":1xpyak0x said:
Caustic Burno":1xpyak0x said:
This is IMO Hereford cows are better cow's and I have options you don't with a black cow.
If I want yellow baldies put a Char bull with the girls.
Black baldies a homo black bull.
Red Baldies a red one.

With black cows your stuck.

As far as prices go Brangus and Tigers brings top dollar at the sale for years here.
From what I have seen so far this year if it can have a calf it brings top dollar no matter the color.

And that sounds like a great plan for someone who likes to have the option of changing color. No argument there. I was just correcting the statement that angus are cheaper this year compared to others. I see no evidence of that. I like black cows, so changing color isnt something i would do so im satisfied with what I have. As far as the original question, I really dont think it matters. Its more of what you like and where you are

The problem with being stuck on one color sooner or later it will hit the bottom.
I have been doing this a long time and have seen the market change many times on what the buyer will pay the premium for. Black has held it a long time. That being said high yellow baldies are beating the blacks on a regular basis here that wasn't true two years ago .
I hauled both color's Sat and the yellow's brought more money.

If they day comes that blacks arent worth a penny then ill consider changing color. Your statement reminded me of that tv show "doomsday preppers" lol.
Like preparing for blacks to hit bottom and having a backup plan! Lol.
You may be right, but thats not a huge concern right now. If the market drops i think itll be gradual, not overnight. So ill have time to change things if needed.
And generally speaking, the best cattle bring the most money. Ive seen some pretty sorry blacks run through at salebarns. So a better colored cow will usually always bring more than a lesser black cow. No argument there.

Anguscattle":1l3477gh said:
If they day comes that blacks arent worth a penny then ill consider changing color. Your statement reminded me of that tv show "doomsday preppers" lol.
Like preparing for blacks to hit bottom and having a backup plan! Lol.
You may be right, but thats not a huge concern right now. If the market drops i think itll be gradual, not overnight. So ill have time to change things if needed.
And generally speaking, the best cattle bring the most money. Ive seen some pretty sorry blacks run through at salebarns. So a better colored cow will usually always bring more than a lesser black cow. No argument there.

Thought the same thing on the Brimmers,Gert's, Herefords, Simm's and a few other's.
Had an Uncle paying 5000 dollars for Gert bulls in the Sixties I know cause I killed it.
Can't find one hardly today.

Im not saying that it cant/wont happen. But it doesnt appear that it will happen in the near future.
My neighbor raises Gerts.. We used to run a Gert bull as well. With beef cattle numbers as low as they are, I think prices will stay up for all cattle

Anguscattle":2wgi0t87 said:
Im not saying that it cant/wont happen. But it doesnt appear that it will happen in the near future.
My neighbor raises Gerts.. We used to run a Gert bull as well. With beef cattle numbers as low as they are, I think prices will stay up for all cattle

F1 Gert x Angus female is a tough one to beat.

Anguscattle":1rdm559x said:

It wasn't about price as you can sell anything it was about popularity it has driven the cow of the day for years.

Massey135":1o4u5cg1 said:
Anguscattle":1o4u5cg1 said:

Agree! But the best feeder calves I've seen this year were out of Gert X Hereford cows sired by Angus bulls. Black, heavy muscled, motley faced, with very little to no extra ear and hide.

Caustic Burno":23qzy5vw said:
Anguscattle":23qzy5vw said:

It wasn't about price as you can sell anything it was about popularity it has driven the cow of the day for years.

Oh. Well as long as they sell and bring a good price, then im not concerned with popularity.

(And im not talking about angus, or even blacks, i think that goes for all cattle)

Mid South Guy":1nbcaos6 said:
Massey135":1nbcaos6 said:
Anguscattle":1nbcaos6 said:

Agree! But the best feeder calves I've seen this year were out of Gert X Hereford cows sired by Angus bulls. Black, heavy muscled, motley faced, with very little to no extra ear and hide.

:nod: :nod: :nod: They go crazy over them....