More pictures of Herford bull's calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
1,568
Reaction score
1
Location
Eastern Kansas
This heifer that is standing looking at me is out of that Hereford bull that I posted earlier. That her mom behind her with freeze brand shes a Reg. Black Angus. And I have several other like this?? B&G

Here's some of her brothers and sisters. B&G
 
Boy they look good. I can't believe your getting that many solid blacks out of that Hereford. Mine puts a lot of color onhis calves. More than I want really. But they're solid calves and getting some nice heifers out of him so I'm going to give him another round.
 
Deepsouth":2on1x8zp said:
Boy they look good. I can't believe your getting that many solid blacks out of that Hereford. Mine puts a lot of color onhis calves. More than I want really. But they're solid calves and getting some nice heifers out of him so I'm going to give him another round.
Thanks Deep, I hope you have great luck with those heifers. Can you post a pick of them. I'd love to see em. B&G
 
Here's another one out of my Reg. Polled Hereford bull. born 6-30-14 bull calf. Cow Reg. Black Angus Bando Daughter?? Had another black commercial cow have a solid Red bull calf on 7-1-14 ?? B&G :cboy:
 
Is it a possible that your Hereford bull is a heterozygous white face instead of homozygous white face? That could be explained for your solid calves.
 
Taurus":367vi6e9 said:
Is it a possible that your Hereford bull is a heterozygous white face instead of homozygous white face? That could be explained for your solid calves.
Good question, I didn't know that they tested for that trait. B&G
 
I don't know lot of Hereford cattle, I was assumed that all true Herefords are homozygous white faced. Don't take my word for it.
 
Taurus":ptlethml said:
I don't know lot of Hereford cattle, I was assumed that all true Herefords are homozygous white faced. Don't take my word for it.

They are suppose to be homozygous for the white face. We've talked about this bull once before, really makes a person think he isn't fullblood hereford
 
Black and Good":1pol5167 said:
It confuses me, Here's his Reg# P43244643 he was a Et calf. B&G

Makes me wonder if there wasn't a mix up with the egg or the recip was bred by the neighbors bull before implant or something along those lines.
 
Black and Good":2f55c0rp said:
Taurus":2f55c0rp said:
Has he been tested for his DNA?

No Don't think so.


Time to pull some hair buddy. You either have a ------ in the woodpile or the 7th wonder of the world. Have you called the Black Herf Assn yet. He could easily be worth a fortune with those genes.
 
I looked up his registration #. His sire is very short marked and goggle eyed. The dam comes from short marked goggle eyed cattle. If I remember correctly, there's a lot of freckles in some of those ancestors. It's been my experience that the Herefords with goggle eyes and a lot of freckles tend to throw little white on the face when crossed with Angus. This little white does seem extreme but possible.
 
Chris H":1eglyvj2 said:
I looked up his registration #. His sire is very short marked and goggle eyed. The dam comes from short marked goggle eyed cattle. If I remember correctly, there's a lot of freckles in some of those ancestors. It's been my experience that the Herefords with goggle eyes and a lot of freckles tend to throw little white on the face when crossed with Angus. This little white does seem extreme but possible.

There should be at least some white on them though even if only a little.
 
It is entirely possible. Doesn't mean that there is anything else in the bull. I had a longtime bull customer call me a while back and they bred a group of angus heifers they had bought from a purebred breeder and when they bred them to my bulls, their calves had a high percentage that were either all black or only a small white spot on their head. They sell several hundred F1 heifers every year and this was going to alter those plans. They have used probably over 40 of my bulls over the years and haven't had any issues with this. Bad thing is the steers wont qualify for CHB, but I am sure CAB will gladly take them.

My experience is there is a difference in angus bulls when combined with Hereford genetics. In the 90's when we were ai ing my dad's commercial cows, some angus bulls would consistently sire mottled faced baldies and some would sired open faced baldies. Some would ad black on the face when bred to F1's and some would leave the face open quite consistently. I have seen 7/8 Hereford calves be bwf and I have seen 5/8 Hereford calves be solid red. The white face can go either way and it simply makes sense that the more pigment you add to them, the less white face you will have on their offspring.
 

Latest posts

Top